Join in on our classic gaming club!

April's ULTIMATE THEME

Poll ended at Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:01 am

Neo Geo
14
47%
FMV Games
16
53%
 
Total votes : 30
User avatar
J T
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 12420
Joined: Wed Mar 25, 2009 6:21 pm
Location: Seattle

Re: APRIL TOGETHER RETRO RUN-OFF VOTE

by J T Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:06 pm

Image

Party on FMV fans!

Image
My contributions to the Racketboy site:
Browser Games ... Free PC Games ... Mixtapes ... Doujin Games ... SotC Poetry
User avatar
Exhuminator
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 11573
Joined: Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:24 am

Re: APRIL TOGETHER RETRO RUN-OFF VOTE

by Exhuminator Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:14 pm

Presently 13 people in this thread would rather watch videos than play games.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
User avatar
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 6770
Joined: Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:16 pm
Location: Farmington Hills, MI

Re: APRIL TOGETHER RETRO RUN-OFF VOTE

by BogusMeatFactory Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:27 pm

Presently we have 13 people who want change! To enjoy and revel in a style of storytelling that will never be replicated ever again in games! To look at a unique experience and dissect it. We currently have 12 people who want to play more of the same that stuff that we have talked about for years in the community.
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.
User avatar
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 2277
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2015 9:27 am
Location: Northern Japan

Re: APRIL TOGETHER RETRO RUN-OFF VOTE

by PartridgeSenpai Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:07 pm

BogusMeatFactory wrote:Presently we have 13 people who want change! To enjoy and revel in a style of storytelling that will never be replicated ever again in games! To look at a unique experience and dissect it. We currently have 12 people who want to play more of the same that stuff that we have talked about for years in the community.


It's a neat form of storytelling that we don't have now, but I do kinda get where Ex is coming from. A good handful of FMV games are really pushing the boundaries of even being a video game at all. It's more or less a necessary curse of the medium, as the "full motion" aspect requires an element of pre-recorded live footage, that it does discourage player interaction to a certain extent for games that aren't using Mortal Kombat-style digitization.
Where Neo Geo games, by virtue of being arcade games, are pretty far towards being video games more than stories, FMV tend to be more towards the other end of that spectrum by a similar virtue of their design.
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
User avatar
Exhuminator
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 11573
Joined: Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:24 am

Re: APRIL TOGETHER RETRO RUN-OFF VOTE

by Exhuminator Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:10 pm

BogusMeatFactory wrote:To enjoy and revel in a style of storytelling that will never be replicated ever again in games!

PartridgeSenpai wrote:It's a neat form of storytelling that we don't have now


Huh? New FMV games are still being made today: http://store.steampowered.com/search/?s ... tags=18594

Unless Bogus meant low resolution choppy grainy storytelling. If so, yeah, I hope that isn't replicated going forward. :|
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
User avatar
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 6770
Joined: Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:16 pm
Location: Farmington Hills, MI

Re: APRIL TOGETHER RETRO RUN-OFF VOTE

by BogusMeatFactory Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:38 pm

Exhuminator wrote:
BogusMeatFactory wrote:To enjoy and revel in a style of storytelling that will never be replicated ever again in games!

PartridgeSenpai wrote:It's a neat form of storytelling that we don't have now


Huh? New FMV games are still being made today: http://store.steampowered.com/search/?s ... tags=18594

Unless Bogus meant low resolution choppy grainy storytelling. If so, yeah, I hope that isn't replicated going forward. :|


I meant the era. FMV was everywhere in the 90s. An impermeable fortress of cheese. We get fmv games here and there now. Some good, some bad, some intentionally bad, but it will never ever compare to those days.
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.
User avatar
J T
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 12420
Joined: Wed Mar 25, 2009 6:21 pm
Location: Seattle

Re: APRIL TOGETHER RETRO RUN-OFF VOTE

by J T Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:04 am

Here is an ideal FMV game for you to play next month Exhuminator:
https://youtu.be/hiAtJ1RrfTs
My contributions to the Racketboy site:
Browser Games ... Free PC Games ... Mixtapes ... Doujin Games ... SotC Poetry
User avatar
Exhuminator
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 11573
Joined: Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:24 am

Re: APRIL TOGETHER RETRO RUN-OFF VOTE

by Exhuminator Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:37 am

J T wrote:Here is an ideal FMV game for you to play next month Exhuminator:
https://youtu.be/hiAtJ1RrfTs


I would, but I can't, 'cause:

Elky ze Curator wrote:"any game released between 1990 and 1999 and includes live-action full motion video cut scenes counts"


Bikini Karate Babes and Warriors of Elysia are too new for that. :cry:
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
User avatar
Segata
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 2403
Joined: Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:19 pm

Re: APRIL TOGETHER RETRO RUN-OFF VOTE

by Segata Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:52 am

Choosing terrible videos over Neo Geo!? WTF is wrong with y'all!? If FMV wins I have 7th Guest on PC as well as Titanic and lastly Night Trap disc on PS4. Does Area 51 on Saturn count? It has video segments of actors or at least the arcade did. I don't remember if SS kept that.
Image
Dreamcast is love,Dreamcast is life!
Image
Twitter Segata
User avatar
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 10228
Joined: Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:26 pm
Location: Charlotte, North Carolina

Re: APRIL TOGETHER RETRO RUN-OFF VOTE

by prfsnl_gmr Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:48 am

Awesome. I should play Resident Evil, but to keep it real, I’ll probably play Double Switch. :D
Return to Together Retro

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests