53%

Total votes: 30

BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

Re: APRIL TOGETHER RETRO RUN-OFF VOTE

Post by BogusMeatFactory »

Ack wrote:
BogusMeatFactory wrote:
TSTR wrote:Huh, turns out I already have a few of these things. This would be a good a time as any to try them out. I'm thinking Phantasmagoria, but Harvester sounds like some fucked up kinda fun too.

Oh dude, you would dig harvester. I didn't like it, but it is beyond fucked up.

Is Bad Mojo also an FMV game where you play as a roach? I always equated it to Harvester in my mind for some reason.

Why yes, yes it is. It received the remastered treatment in 2004 with cleaned up video footage and more colors. Worth looking into.
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.
nullPointer
128-bit

Post by nullPointer »

I'm getting closer! I got one of my games up and running in DOSBox last night no problem (Windows 3.1 is the target platform, but it seems to work just fine though DOSBox). The other one ... well it's still a WIP. The target platform for that game is Windows 95, and DOSBox just ain't having it. So I fiddled around in VirtualBox last night and stood up a working VM environment for Windows 98SE. It had been quite a while since I'd messed with VirtualBox and even longer since I'd even thought about Windows 98, so it was somewhat time consuming, but also kinda fun. Windows 98 is predictably antiquated, but it's hard not to be tickled by its wide eyed optimism regarding this 'whole new fangled internet craze'. :lol:

I still haven't got the second game installed though. Tonight I need to pack up a bunch of Windows 98 patches and enhancements as an ISO so I can run them in the VM environment (unless any of you tech wizards have advice regarding the configuration of shared host folders in a Windows 98 VM?). And then I need to do the same thing with the game discs ... all five of them. Man, I'm really hoping this game is worth the trouble ... but I'm not terribly optimistic about it to be honest. :lol: Still, it should be some good ol' goofy fun.
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

Post by BogusMeatFactory »

I can help if you need at any point as I have had a lot of obtuse titles running on modern systems with a lot of finagaling.
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

nullPointer wrote:I still haven't got the second game installed though. / any of you tech wizards have advice

Do you mind saying what game it is? I might be of more assistance if I knew.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
nullPointer
128-bit

Post by nullPointer »

BogusMeatFactory wrote:I can help if you need at any point as I have had a lot of obtuse titles running on modern systems with a lot of finagaling.
Exhuminator wrote:
nullPointer wrote:I still haven't got the second game installed though. / any of you tech wizards have advice

Do you mind saying what game it is? I might be of more assistance if I knew.

Thanks so much guys. I definitely haven't thrown in the towel yet, it's just been slightly time-consuming (though oddly sort of fun). Mostly I was wondering about sharing folders from the host environment inside a VirtualBox Win98 VM. Some Google work tells me that it's not possible in a Win98 VM (or at least not for VirtualBox), but there also seems to be some conflicting info. So that's why the common advice seems to be to pack the files you want to run in the virtual environment as an ISO which can then be run from a virtual drive in the VM (wow ... I feel like I'm typing 'virtual' for almost every other word, lol). So that's my task for tonight. Friday nights get crazy at the null homestead!

I don't know why I'm squirrelly about not 'revealing' my TR choices in advance, lol. I think part of it is that we still have over a week left in the current TR, so I don't want to detract too much from that, but I also want to save whatever meagre contributions I have regarding this game for the actual FMV TR thread, lol. If I just straight up hit a brick wall with the installation, I'll report back with what it is I'm trying to play here. It's a somewhat obscure title(?), so there seems to be very little info I can find regarding getting it to run in a modern environment. It most certainly horked trying to run it under Windows 98 compatibility settings in Win10, which is what led me down the path of using VirtualBox. I'll see how far I get with it! :)
nullPointer
128-bit

Post by nullPointer »

Woo hoo! Just as a quick update to the above, I was able to get my other FMV game successfully installed in my Win98 VM. I gave it a quick test drive and ... hoo boy ... it should be interesting, but also goofy and fun. Not only that, I'm coming out of this with a fairly robust Win98 VM (I got a bit carried away with tweaking and updating the OS), should I need to run other finicky Win9X games in the future. I'd say that's a rather tangible benefit to have come from next months TR! I'm looking forward to digging in.

Hey thanks again Bogus and Ex for the offers of assistance; you guys are badass.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

Are "anime" FMV game allowed for April, or just stuff with live actors? Not gonna read back through 50 pages of two threads to find the answer.
nullPointer
128-bit

Post by nullPointer »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:Are "anime" FMV game allowed for April, or just stuff with live actors? Not gonna read back through 50 pages of two threads to find the answer.

I actually posed that same question a couple of times in the original thread (I'd like to bust out some Brain Dead 13!), but it was a question left hanging. I assumed that was implicitly directing me to RTFOP (which does explicitly state live-action), ... but I suppose sometimes it's easier to just ask forgiveness after the fact than to get permission beforehand ... :lol: For the time being I'm planning around live-action stuff, though I might change strategy slightly if we plan to allow for fully voiced animation.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:Are "anime" FMV game allowed for April, or just stuff with live actors?

nullPointer wrote:I actually posed that same question a couple of times in the original thread (I'd like to bust out some Brain Dead 13!), but it was a question left hanging.

From Elkin's OP in the original voting thread:

"FMV Frenzy

Let's pay homage to the cringiest of cut-scenes, the most sinful of cinematics, and the most meager of movies from games in the 1990s. Most of us love them, and all of us love to hate them, they're full motion video games! There are a lot of games that count here, and there's a lot of wiggle room for what could count. In general, any game released between 1990 and 1999 and includes live-action full motion video cut scenes counts. It could be games like Corpse Killer that are almost entirely FMV or games like Resident Evil that only have a few. As long as it was released in the 1990s and has live action FMV scenes, it's fair game."

The answer is no. The FMV is supposed to showcase live actors.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

Ah shucks, I just got some anime games. They were on my wishlist anyway though.

Not trying to stir up drama, but I can't quite "make sense" of the category, properly speaking. So, it's not simply "FMV games" (ie: those mostly comprised of FMV), but is those plus any that "contain" FMV, but it's gotta be live action and from the 90s. Right?

This probably just isn't my month, which is fine! I'll enjoy lurking and maybe knocking off a few RPGs in the meantime.