47%
FMV Games
53%

Total votes: 30

pierrot
Next-Gen

Re: APRIL TOGETHER RETRO RUN-OFF VOTE

Post by pierrot »

That looks to be a nice basis for a comprehensive list there, but it seems to be conspicuously lacking the Sega CD games we all know and love. Also I can't help but feel a lack of representation from Japanese developed games matching the criteria. The Saturn alone has an overwhelming number of FMV games--I've beaten it already, but Omakase! Savers is an example.

Personally, whatever initial interest I had in this theme, when people started to make the push for it in the original voting thread, has all but vanished over the course of the discussion. There are some games I could be mildly motivated to play, but most of them require more of an investment (monetary, or otherwise) than I'm really apt to make. If I play anything for April's TR, it will probably be Jinzou Ningen Hakaider, on the Saturn.
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

Post by BogusMeatFactory »

pierrot wrote:That looks to be a nice basis for a comprehensive list there, but it seems to be conspicuously lacking the Sega CD games we all know and love. Also I can't help but feel a lack of representation from Japanese developed games matching the criteria. The Saturn alone has an overwhelming number of FMV games--I've beaten it already, but Omakase! Savers is an example.

Personally, whatever initial interest I had in this theme, when people started to make the push for it in the original voting thread, has all but vanished over the course of the discussion. There are some games I could be mildly motivated to play, but most of them require more of an investment (monetary, or otherwise) than I'm really apt to make. If I play anything for April's TR, it will probably be Jinzou Ningen Hakaider, on the Saturn.

What type of investment monetarily are we talking about here? The vast majority of FMV games cost $10 or less. I mean, let's talk about the types of genres that do interest you so that we can find something you like? What systems do you want to play on? You bring up the Saturn for Japanese fmv games so why not try the interactive movies like X Japan: virtual shock 001, or Tokyo Shadow? What about the American fmv games is disinteresting you?
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.
pierrot
Next-Gen

Post by pierrot »

BogusMeatFactory wrote:What type of investment monetarily are we talking about here?

BogusMeatFactory wrote:The vast majority of FMV games cost $10 or less.

^That type.

BogusMeatFactory wrote:What about the American fmv games is disinteresting you?

They aren't, not any more than any other FMV games. It's not that I'm entirely disinterested; It's more that I think about games that I could coax myself into playing, and then consider the opportunity cost involved.
crazythink4
8-bit

Post by crazythink4 »

pierrot wrote:That looks to be a nice basis for a comprehensive list there, but it seems to be conspicuously lacking the Sega CD games we all know and love. Also I can't help but feel a lack of representation from Japanese developed games matching the criteria. The Saturn alone has an overwhelming number of FMV games--I've beaten it already, but Omakase! Savers is an example.

Agreed, this list is far from complete. The only Japanese adventure games included in the book I can remember off the top of my head were Snatcher, Policenauts, Portopia Murder Mystery, and Gadget: Invention, Travel, & Adventure (the latter which apparently influenced Guillermo del Toro, Dark City and The Matrix, which ran it straight to the top of my interest list, despite it apparently being extremely lacking in gameplay elements. However, it's all CG, so it doesn't meet my personal criteria for this TR).

Edit: clarifications
crazythink4
8-bit

Post by crazythink4 »

BogusMeatFactory wrote:Woooo!!! Great list! I would like to note that Gabriel knight: Sins of the father is not fmv at all. Also a nice addition to the list would be return to zork. The best of the three fmv zork games in my opinion. So good!

Thanks! I totally missed that. I think I was thinking of the sequel when I copy-pasted that one in. Updated!

I'll add in Return to Zork too!
Last edited by crazythink4 on Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

Hey that's cool pierrot. Sucks that nothing grabs your interest. Maybe something someone plays will get you excited, but if not, ahhh well.

I'll happily spend 5 bucks for my wing commander games. Definitely worth the price of admission.
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

J T
Next-Gen

Post by J T »

Finding Japanese FMV games is a bit trickier because they weren't likely to be translated. Here are a few I know of though:

The Masked Rider: Kamen Rider ZO
https://youtu.be/T3--_7FBAlU

Mighty Morphin Power Rangers
https://youtu.be/8myZ5V2nZPA
(This is a bit of a cheat because it's based on the Americanized show, which takes from the Japanese Super Sentai)

Time Gal
https://youtu.be/SL9nIGW59iQ
This one is animated cartoon FMV, rather than filmed actors. It's more like Dragon's Lair, Space Ace, or Cliffhanger.

Astron Belt
https://youtu.be/fug7ayAemnk
This one is actually from the 80s, so technically too early, but an interesting arcade/laser disc entry.

Cliffhanger
https://youtu.be/Xd11jYx1b7I
This one is a cheat for being both animated and from the 80s, but it was my introduction to the anime of Lupin the 3rd.
My contributions to the Racketboy site:
Browser Games ... Free PC Games ... Mixtapes ... Doujin Games ... SotC Poetry
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

For those who are interested in some fmv games on the modern pc platform that apply, check out this list on gog.com

https://www.gog.com/mix/fmv_games_2

By no means comprehensive even on the platform, but it is a start!

Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

BogusMeatFactory wrote:Thanks for that insight! I have learned so much!

I apologize that I cannot tell you the five FMV games. I wrestled as to if I should yet, but I have been sworn to secrecy until next month.

Here's why:

Yesterday when the poll ended and FMV games won, I was dismayed. So much so that I decided to escape the internet, and just take a walk in the woods behind my house. As I was walking and cursing the name of every FMV game I could recall, suddenly I saw a strange light ahead in a thicket. As I grew nearer, the light revealed itself to be a low resolution grainy holographic image of an old man. He was dressed like Moses, except he had '90s era BOY branded sunglasses on. As he stroked his limited palette colored beard, I was confused. Looking for a banjo, I cautiously asked if he was Bone. The old man only laughed, and that's when I realized he held a black plastic box in his hands. He pushed the box forward, and I nervously grasped it, expecting to touch only thin air. But as I laid my hands upon it, the box became solid.

The strange elderly man then said, "I have heard you doubt the power and virtue of the FMV game genre, Exhummyetar." I winced as he mispronounced my birth name. "And that is why I have come from the fertile and sacred lands of FMV Valhalla to bring unto you evidence, solid proof that you are wrong." I started to violently shake the box but the man shouted, "Careful! Inside that box, you will find five prime examples, bonafide ne plus ultra experiences, that shall sway your opinion without doubt!" I looked doubtful. The flaky holographic image continued, "Fool! Play these FMV games and you will understand! And then, you must proselytize your experiences to your Together Retro brothers and sisters." I lowered my brow and said, "Dude. Can't I just tell them what these games are, and they can play them instead? I'd rather not bother with this shi" He interrupted me brashly, "No! No! You must play these games yourself! You will play them, and come to understand how wrong you were. You will publicly eat crow, as you stew in your own hypocrisy."

I thought for a moment and said, "Fair enough you ditzy geezer. But if that doesn't happen, I get those sunglasses." He looked conflicted for a moment, but then replied, "Deal." The old man glitched-vanished into nothing. I was glad, as watching his low frames per second lips not sync to his own words was starting to make me nauseous. I opened the box, looked inside, saw the games. I raised an eyebrow and thought to myself, "Well now... he might just be on to something." I then returned home, placed the box in my attic, and spent the rest of the night masturbating to research describing the sexual mating of tardigrades.

That's why I can't tell you what the games are yet Bogus. I hope you understand.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
nullPointer
128-bit

Post by nullPointer »

Exhuminator wrote:<Prophetic Vision Quest>

Oh thank God; I thought the box was going to contain the severed ears of his previous victims.

Looking forward to your thoughts as always Ex!