Post by J T »

Party on FMV fans!

My contributions to the Racketboy site:
Browser Games ... Free PC Games ... Mixtapes ... Doujin Games ... SotC Poetry
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Re: APRIL TOGETHER RETRO RUN-OFF VOTE

Post by Exhuminator »

Presently 13 people in this thread would rather watch videos than play games.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

Post by BogusMeatFactory »

Presently we have 13 people who want change! To enjoy and revel in a style of storytelling that will never be replicated ever again in games! To look at a unique experience and dissect it. We currently have 12 people who want to play more of the same that stuff that we have talked about for years in the community.
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

Post by PartridgeSenpai »

BogusMeatFactory wrote:Presently we have 13 people who want change! To enjoy and revel in a style of storytelling that will never be replicated ever again in games! To look at a unique experience and dissect it. We currently have 12 people who want to play more of the same that stuff that we have talked about for years in the community.

It's a neat form of storytelling that we don't have now, but I do kinda get where Ex is coming from. A good handful of FMV games are really pushing the boundaries of even being a video game at all. It's more or less a necessary curse of the medium, as the "full motion" aspect requires an element of pre-recorded live footage, that it does discourage player interaction to a certain extent for games that aren't using Mortal Kombat-style digitization.
Where Neo Geo games, by virtue of being arcade games, are pretty far towards being video games more than stories, FMV tend to be more towards the other end of that spectrum by a similar virtue of their design.
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

BogusMeatFactory wrote:To enjoy and revel in a style of storytelling that will never be replicated ever again in games!

PartridgeSenpai wrote:It's a neat form of storytelling that we don't have now

Huh? New FMV games are still being made today: http://store.steampowered.com/search/?s ... tags=18594

Unless Bogus meant low resolution choppy grainy storytelling. If so, yeah, I hope that isn't replicated going forward. :|
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

Post by BogusMeatFactory »

Exhuminator wrote:
BogusMeatFactory wrote:To enjoy and revel in a style of storytelling that will never be replicated ever again in games!

PartridgeSenpai wrote:It's a neat form of storytelling that we don't have now

Huh? New FMV games are still being made today: http://store.steampowered.com/search/?s ... tags=18594

Unless Bogus meant low resolution choppy grainy storytelling. If so, yeah, I hope that isn't replicated going forward. :|

I meant the era. FMV was everywhere in the 90s. An impermeable fortress of cheese. We get fmv games here and there now. Some good, some bad, some intentionally bad, but it will never ever compare to those days.
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.
J T
Next-Gen

Post by J T »

Here is an ideal FMV game for you to play next month Exhuminator:
https://youtu.be/hiAtJ1RrfTs
My contributions to the Racketboy site:
Browser Games ... Free PC Games ... Mixtapes ... Doujin Games ... SotC Poetry
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

J T wrote:Here is an ideal FMV game for you to play next month Exhuminator:
https://youtu.be/hiAtJ1RrfTs

I would, but I can't, 'cause:

Elky ze Curator wrote:"any game released between 1990 and 1999 and includes live-action full motion video cut scenes counts"

Bikini Karate Babes and Warriors of Elysia are too new for that. :cry:
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Segata
Next-Gen

Post by Segata »

Choosing terrible videos over Neo Geo!? WTF is wrong with y'all!? If FMV wins I have 7th Guest on PC as well as Titanic and lastly Night Trap disc on PS4. Does Area 51 on Saturn count? It has video segments of actors or at least the arcade did. I don't remember if SS kept that.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

Awesome. I should play Resident Evil, but to keep it real, I’ll probably play Double Switch. :D