April's Together Retro Theme: Elkin's Eccentric Extravaganza

Join in on our classic gaming club!

What should April's Together Retro theme be?

Poll ended at Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:14 pm

90s RTS
27%
Army Men Anthology
7%
All Hail Neo Geo
28%
FMV Frenzy
28%
LET'S NEP 'EM ALL UP
10%

Total votes: 60

Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Re: April's Together Retro Theme: Elkin's Eccentric Extravag

Post by Exhuminator »

MrPopo wrote:I am fully prepared to abandon my current positions to keep FMV from winning.

Good man. Seriously folks...

Play bad ass vintage action games from Japan.
VS
Watch grainy old video clips.

Wow what a choice! :roll:
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Ack

Post by Ack »

Exhuminator wrote:
MrPopo wrote:I am fully prepared to abandon my current positions to keep FMV from winning.

VS

What, you don't wanna make Kriss Kross' video?
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

Post by BogusMeatFactory »

Exhuminator wrote:

VS

Except the grainy videos you reference are only of the Sega CD variety. Hey, at least if FMV wins you can play all those creepy Japanese photography games.
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.
ESauced
64-bit

Post by ESauced »

BogusMeatFactory wrote:
ESauced wrote:This is the second month in a row that I pulled my vote off my initial favorite after becoming gung-ho about another option once someone mentioned a game I hadn’t thought of.

FMV! FMV! FMV!

Oh! What was the game!?! And welcome to the awesome world of FMV!

Rebel Assault and Rebel Assault 2. I was originally on Neo Geo but now I really want to go back and play those. The thing about Neo Geo is those games are great and readily available so I already play them occasionally. But even though I grew up playing Rebel Assault, I don’t revisit it because I rarely play games on my PC and they’re not good enough for me to pay for them again for a PSN download or something. I have them downloaded to my PC though so I’d love to set aside some time to revisit them.

We had 5 Pc games when I was a kid. Rebel Assault 1 and 2, Dark Forces, Muppet CD Rom, and Spider-Man Cartoon Maker. And oh my god I just realized while i was posting this that Muppet CD Rom qualifies too!
laurenhiya21
Next-Gen

Post by laurenhiya21 »

Personally I'm not particularly interested in the live-action FMV. A lot of the games seem to be more adventurey (not my thing), but also a lot of them seem to be for PC and I'm not willing to mess around with old PC games right now. I almost always have a heck of a time trying to get them to run properly, assuming that I can get them to run at all. Yeah I know that there probably are games that aren't on PC and aren't adventure games, but most of the ones that I've seen so far don't seem particularly appealing for me.

The only game I've found to be of interest to me (at least so far) would be Revenge of Shinobi (at least I think that had FMV? I'm pretty sure that it did). With Neo Geo games, however, there are quite a few more games that look interesting to me, such as Magician's Lord, Blue's Journey, Neo Geo Turf Masters, and a bunch of neat looking puzzle games.

Not saying that live-action FMV is a bad topic mind (I actually think it's an interesting one), but it definitely doesn't align very well with what I like to play. So for now I'm sticking with my Neo Geo and Nep votes.
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

ESauced wrote:
BogusMeatFactory wrote:
ESauced wrote:This is the second month in a row that I pulled my vote off my initial favorite after becoming gung-ho about another option once someone mentioned a game I hadn’t thought of.

FMV! FMV! FMV!

Oh! What was the game!?! And welcome to the awesome world of FMV!

Rebel Assault and Rebel Assault 2. I was originally on Neo Geo but now I really want to go back and play those. The thing about Neo Geo is those games are great and readily available so I already play them occasionally. But even though I grew up playing Rebel Assault, I don’t revisit it because I rarely play games on my PC and they’re not good enough for me to pay for them again for a PSN download or something. I have them downloaded to my PC though so I’d love to set aside some time to revisit them.

We had 5 Pc games when I was a kid. Rebel Assault 1 and 2, Dark Forces, Muppet CD Rom, and Spider-Man Cartoon Maker. And oh my god I just realized while i was posting this that Muppet CD Rom qualifies too!

Yes!!! A Muppets fan as well.. you sir truly have good taste!! Rebel assault is such an odd duck that I don't necessarily know how I feel about it. As a kid, I would play and have so much frustration with the first, but I truly believe it was my own fault

WHEN FMV wins, that series will be my number 3 to play.

@lauren

If you want stuff like shinobi for the fmv category, I would think skull monkeys would be up your alley. It is claymation, but uses real life objects in its fmv sequences and is a genuinely fun platformer on ps1 with one hell of a soundtrack.
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

dismissing FMV games in their entirety as just 'grainy video clips' is pretty short-sighted, Exhum. I don't know how much time you've really spent with FMV games in the past, but given your passion for unearthing oddities, I'd think you'd actually have fun delving into such a weirdly unique and fascinating era of gaming.
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

Why would I want to play terrible FMV games? Gah. We can do better. Heck, I'd take RTS over that any day, and I'm not even a fan of the genre.
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

Sarge wrote:Why would I want to play terrible FMV games? Gah. We can do better. Heck, I'd take RTS over that any day, and I'm not even a fan of the genre.

You don't have to play terrible fmv games. You could... I don't know... play good fmv games. Which exist.

Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

noiseredux wrote:dismissing FMV games in their entirety as just 'grainy video clips' is pretty short-sighted, Exhum. I don't know how much time you've really spent with FMV games in the past, but given your passion for unearthing oddities, I'd think you'd actually have fun delving into such a weirdly unique and fascinating era of gaming.

I was only half-joking about "grainy video clips". I plan to beat Time Gal for ELN after all. :wink:

If you all really want to play FMV games, that's the communities' choice. Fair enough. I'll respect the theme if it wins. But I doubt any of you would approve of my FMV game choices. :twisted:
PLAY KING'S FIELD.