April's Together Retro Theme: Elkin's Eccentric Extravaganza

Join in on our classic gaming club!

What should April's Together Retro theme be?

Poll ended at Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:14 pm

90s RTS
27%
Army Men Anthology
7%
All Hail Neo Geo
28%
FMV Frenzy
28%
LET'S NEP 'EM ALL UP
10%

Total votes: 60

Ack

Re: April's Together Retro Theme: Elkin's Eccentric Extravag

Post by Ack »

The system Racket uses for voting apparently costs money if you don't want the ability to change votes. Yes, seriously.

Also...whichever one of the top three wins, I have something to play, so I'm happy. In fact, the two options that least interest me have the fewest votes. I'd play an Army Men game if it won though. I don't think I'd look into Nep though if it suddenly pulled ahead. Sorry guys, I just haven't seen anything about it that appealed to me.

But if it did win...well, maybe I'd play one. If this is about getting folks out of their comfort zone, then I should be willing to leave mine too. I'm trying as best I can. I really didn't think I'd have any interest in the '80s Ladies set, yet I've ended up playing and trying out multiple games along with a bunch of research. Movie-based platformers were the same way (I did beat one, which is a big stretch for me considering I generally dislike platformers), and the reason I didn't get into the Final Fantasy spin-offs is that I'd beaten or at least played the ones released on systems I owned.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

BogusMeatFactory wrote:I am actually quite happy with how much people are participating! Definitely a LOT more than last year

I am happy to see more participation also. I just agree with Gunstar Green that seeing the votes constantly changing is annoying, especially when that seems to happen in order to produce a "comical" effect.

BogusMeatFactory wrote:On the poll snubbing, I crunched the numbers of voters for the ladies of 80s and who is actually participating and it is almost 1 to 1

If the 20 ELN voters are participating, that is great! That said, the poll had 72 total votes. Assuming two votes per vote, that's 36 total voters. I would hope that even for the voters whose poll pick didn't win, that they would still try to engage with the month anyway. I did not vote for Licensed Platformers, Final Fantasy Spin-offs, or Eighties' Ladies' Night. But I chose to engage with those themes regardless because they won. I had (and am having) a good time thanks to doing deep research, and playing stuff I'd normally not play as a result. I think it's good for all of us to get out of our comfort zones once in a while, and expand our gaming horizons. That's why even though FMV Frenzy does not excite me personally, I will still engage with it if it wins. (Though Id' rather play Neo Geo, '90s RTS, or Nep stuff honestly.)
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

Post by BogusMeatFactory »

Oh and more people were participating in the ladies of the 80s, but I was only counting unique users actively playing a game. There were more discussing in the thread though for sure.

If FMV wins, I would love to find you a game that you may enjoy exhuminator. Realms of the Haunting may be more up your alley. First person horror game with fps/adventure crossovers and big focus on mystery. Combat is not run and gun and a lot more slow and methodical... maybe.
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.
Ack

Post by Ack »

BogusMeatFactory wrote:If FMV wins, I would love to find you a game that you may enjoy exhuminator. Realms of the Haunting may be more up your alley. First person horror game with fps/adventure crossovers and big focus on mystery. Combat is not run and gun and a lot more slow and methodical... maybe.

Realms of the Haunting is a wonderful game that brings some interesting changes to the FPS genre. I had a blast when I played through it. It has some challenging moments, but in general a lot of the horror falls by the wayside as you progress. Once you find the guns with infinite ammo, it gets a lot easier.

Still fun though, with some good puzzles and an entertaining plot. Normality uses the same engine, though sadly no live action folks.
Sload Soap
Next-Gen

Post by Sload Soap »

Just to add, I did read the OP I was still a bit bemused that stuff like Jedi Knight and Warhawk was okay to go. Then Bogus linked to a site which had a much more specific idea of what constitutes a FMV game so whatever.

Just making sure. Neo Geo is still the way to go in either case.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

BogusMeatFactory wrote:I would love to find you a game that you may enjoy exhuminator. Realms of the Haunting may be more up your alley.

I appreciate the suggestion, but I've owned RotH for many years. If FMV wins, I'll be playing games which are entirely made up of FMV sequences.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

Post by BogusMeatFactory »

Exhuminator wrote:
BogusMeatFactory wrote:I would love to find you a game that you may enjoy exhuminator. Realms of the Haunting may be more up your alley.

I appreciate the suggestion, but I've owned RotH for many years. If FMV wins, I'll be playing games which are entirely made up of FMV sequences.

Then I will revert to my previous suggestion of the erotic Saturn photography games. :D
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.
ESauced
64-bit

Post by ESauced »

I’m guilty of changing votes two months in a row, but as a I said earlier it’s only because you wonderful people convinced me that another category was the way to go. I’m easily influenced.
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

ESauced wrote:I’m guilty of changing votes two months in a row, but as a I said earlier it’s only because you wonderful people convinced me that another category was the way to go. I’m easily influenced.

That category is Neo Geo, right?
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

And that's why I think vote switching is a good idea overall.

I've certainly posted on a poll and then had my opinion changed later before.