April's Together Retro Theme: Elkin's Eccentric Extravaganza

Join in on our classic gaming club!

What should April's Together Retro theme be?

Poll ended at Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:14 pm

90s RTS
27%
Army Men Anthology
7%
All Hail Neo Geo
28%
FMV Frenzy
28%
LET'S NEP 'EM ALL UP
10%

Total votes: 60

nullPointer
128-bit

Re: April's Together Retro Theme: Elkin's Eccentric Extravag

Post by nullPointer »

Exhuminator wrote:On the possibility that FMV might actually win...

FWIW, I really like this suggested edit, although I would make one additional change. :wink:

Exhuminator wrote:"Let's pay homage to the cringiest of cut-scenes, the most sinful of cinematics, and the most meager of movies from games in the 1990s. Most of us love them, and all of us love to hate them, they're full motion video games! There are a lot of games that count here, and there's a lot of wiggle room for what could count. In general, any game released between 1990 and 1999 and includes live-action full motion video cut scenes counts." -Curator Elky

What can I say, I just really want to give Brain Dead 13 a shot. It most definitely meets all the other FMV requirements, it's just not live-action (Dragon's Lair II would also fall under this category).
Sload Soap
Next-Gen

Post by Sload Soap »

Voted for RTS and Neo Geo, they just interest me the most.

I might have gone for FMVs but I'm slightly confused why Night Trap and Sewer Shark are being lumped in with Dark Forces 2 and Resident Evil. Like, if FMV's win, am I okay to play Final Fantasy 7 or 8? They each have a hour+ of FMV spread throughout. It seems weird that FMV games have expanded into this incredibly broad territory but the other choices are, sensibly to my mind, limited.
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

Post by BogusMeatFactory »

Sload Soap wrote:Voted for RTS and Neo Geo, they just interest me the most.

I might have gone for FMVs but I'm slightly confused why Night Trap and Sewer Shark are being lumped in with Dark Forces 2 and Resident Evil. Like, if FMV's win, am I okay to play Final Fantasy 7 or 8? They each have a hour+ of FMV spread throughout. It seems weird that FMV games have expanded into this incredibly broad territory but the other choices are, sensibly to my mind, limited.

Dark Forces 2 would be included because it uses live actors in all story cutscenes in game. They are a bulk of how the story unfolds and can be a great talking point for the use of live actors to tell a story in a way that couldn't be done with gameplay at the time.
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.
pierrot
Next-Gen

Post by pierrot »

Hmmm. I switched my FMV vote to Nep, because I'm starting to see some of the failings of the topic, and a slight lack of real communication about it.

NEO GEO!!
Sload Soap
Next-Gen

Post by Sload Soap »

Right, but they are still there to bookend the actual gameplay. This is the confusion I see, games where FMVs are used as cut scenes for key story moments but are otherwise separate from the in game engine versus the sort of point and click/interactive movies where FMV is baked into the gameplay. They are two very different things to me and I was under the assumption that FMV would mean Night Trap, Road Avenger, Gabriel Knight not just anything with a bit of dodgy live action in it.
Segata
Next-Gen

Post by Segata »

I'd vote Neo Geo except I bet this poll gets rigged as well.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

Segata wrote:I'd vote Neo Geo except I bet this poll gets rigged as well.

Hey now, if the last poll got "rigged" I had nothing to do with that. The community voted up a tie, so I let an impartial bot make the call.

pierrot wrote:I switched my FMV vote to Nep

You know, the original Hyperdimension Neptunia is eight years old now, that's kinda close enough to call.
And... Nep's managed 7 votes already! Maybe, just maybe this could be happening? :shock:
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

Post by Gunstar Green »

I see, your die-hard retro gamer thing is just a front. Get waifus involved and you fold like a bad poker hand. I'm starting to think that magic 8-ball last month was rigged.
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

Post by BogusMeatFactory »

Sload Soap wrote:Voted for RTS and Neo Geo, they just interest me the most.

If by having fmv as a criteria for gameplay, 90% of FMV games would.be disqualified. You would be left with quick timer event games and shooting gallery games.

Adventure games like Gabriel Knight 2 do not have actual fmv baked into the core gameplay, but use fmv as a cutscene to notate dialog or events inbetween interaction. Adventure games that use fmv are no different than the space flight Sims, survival horror, fps, rpgs etc. that use fmv.

The original post clearly states that it needs to have live action sequences and there may be a case to allow animated sequences as long as they are part of the gameplay like dragons lair. I too want Elkins clarification on that.

This category is clearly selected for stylistic purposes, not for gameplay purposes. This is no different than selecting ladies of the 80s, because what constitutes a difference between a game with a female protagonist and a male protagonist during that time period? As everyone has stated on that thread.... nothing. It is a stylistic choice.
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

right. The FMV category isn't really about exploring a genre, but rather a very specific technological period of gaming. It would be like making a VR month or Motion Control month is how I look at it.