April's Together Retro Theme: Elkin's Eccentric Extravaganza

Join in on our classic gaming club!

What should April's Together Retro theme be?

Poll ended at Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:14 pm

90s RTS
27%
Army Men Anthology
7%
All Hail Neo Geo
28%
FMV Frenzy
28%
LET'S NEP 'EM ALL UP
10%

Total votes: 60

dsheinem
Next-Gen

Re: April's Together Retro Theme: Elkin's Eccentric Extravag

Post by dsheinem »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:I have to admit I'm not crazy about the whole FMV thing. Lots of corny kitschy stuff and various others things I'm just not into at all.

Neo Geo is a huge wide spectrum. If chosen I'd encourage people to try some of the puzzle games, sports games, RPGs, or even something like Sonic the Hedgehog: Pocket Adventure. (I will concede that much of this kind of thing requires real hardware, or, of course, emulation. No doubt that the "same ol' stuff" keeps getting released via Steam, compilations, etc.)

I assumed "Neo Geo" meant MVS/Arcade games (or ports of those games) only...not anything that appeared on any Neo Geo system (e.g. some Neo CD games, some NGPC stuff, etc.)
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

Good point. Maybe Elkin can clarify? In any event, there's a huge array of games released on the classic core systems.
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

Post by BogusMeatFactory »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:Good point. Maybe Elkin can clarify? In any event, there's a huge array of games released on the classic core systems.

The choices in front of us have a lot of variety that is for sure!
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

148 games: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Neo_Geo_games
roughy 140 games in the 1990s: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_i ... ive_movies

That second list excludes games with FMV included in cutscenes, etc, which would baloon the list to several hundred.

My point is, there is MORE to choose from with the FMV option than with the Neo Geo option. :D

Glad to see FMV garnering some votes and making it competitive, too!
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

Post by BogusMeatFactory »

I would like to point out that the list provided in the above post excludes some big name games that utilize FMV as a major part of its gameplay. I'll be talking about those in the days to come!
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.
nullPointer
128-bit

Post by nullPointer »

I voted FMV and Neo Geo. In regards to FMV how strict are we regarding the live action qualification? The reason I ask is that I also have a bit of a soft spot for animated FMV games. Although the real classics in this aspect of the genre were released in the 80's (e.g. Dragon's Lair, Space Ace, Thayer's Quest, etc.), there are certainly some notable titles that released in the 90's as well. Not that it changes my vote by much, but I'd definitely be interested in playing Dragon's Lair II and Brain Dead 13 depending on how relaxed our stance on live-action is.

There's definitely some live-action stuff I'd like to check out as well though. As much as I've joked about Plumbers Don't Wear Ties over the years, I should probably at least force myself to check it out at some day. Also, did you know that Rob Schneider got roped into doing an FMV game at one point? Well I certainly didn't, but in the event of an FMV month I'd definitely plan on playing A Fork in the Tale.

Plus ... I mean this will be the theme for April. Let's all play some FMV games for April Fool's Day! Seems fitting, no?
Last edited by nullPointer on Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:Good point. Maybe Elkin can clarify? In any event, there's a huge array of games released on the classic core systems.

ElkinFencer10 wrote:As long as it's a game or a port of a game that appeared on the Neo Geo MVS, it's fair game.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

nullPointer wrote:Plus ... I mean this will be the theme for April. Let's all play some FMV games for April Fool's Day! Seems fitting, no?

Shit. This is so true. You guys. Seriously let's just all pick FMV already.
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

Post by Gunstar Green »

Don't vote for the corrupt incumbent of Neo Geo. Vote for change, vote for FMV.
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

Only voting for one category right now: Neo. Freaking. Geo. The one system that is still on my list to acquire. Plus, I love fighters, I love brawlers, and I love run-and-guns. The Neo Geo gives me that in spades.