April's Together Retro Theme: Elkin's Eccentric Extravaganza

Join in on our classic gaming club!

What should April's Together Retro theme be?

Poll ended at Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:14 pm

90s RTS
27%
Army Men Anthology
7%
All Hail Neo Geo
28%
FMV Frenzy
28%
LET'S NEP 'EM ALL UP
10%

Total votes: 60

BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

Re: April's Together Retro Theme: Elkin's Eccentric Extravag

Post by BogusMeatFactory »

ElkinFencer10 wrote:Don't forget Lethal Enforcers. That's a legit great game. You've also got Corpse Killer which is utter shit but hilarious shit.

I love corpse killer.. it is absolutely one of the best in the schlock category. That and the likes of Ripper, or Privateer 2 really stand out as so bad it's good gaming.
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.
marurun

Post by marurun »

Exhuminator wrote:
BoneSnapDeez wrote:I have to admit I'm not crazy about the whole FMV thing. Lots of corny kitschy stuff and various others things I'm just not into at all.

I agree. If we're just talking about old pure FMV games period, there's not a lot of value there. If we're including the qualifier "any old game that has full motion video cutscenes", that's just way too broad, and therefore doesn't serve up a unique identity for the TR. I can't get excited for either one of those concepts.

I don't entirely agree. I think if you include FMV cut scenes you're looking at a particular point in time and a particular aesthetic. How did companies use those cut scenes; were there stylistic commonalities; why didn't they go with pre-rendered CG or animation; are there actors who show up in multiple games? There are lots of discussions that can come out of this particular theme. Now, that doesn't mean it's going to excite everyone, and I think that's OK. In this case the unifying factor is not game genre or play mechanic but rather an aesthetic choice.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

ElkinFencer10 wrote:Don't forget Lethal Enforcers. That's a legit great game. You've also got Corpse Killer which is utter shit but hilarious shit.

Do I detect curator bias?
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

Exhuminator wrote:

Do I detect curator bias?

Not for FMV; my bias is for Nep and Army Men. :P
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

BogusMeatFactory wrote:This odd argument that FMV would be too broad a category but saying neo geo isn't is just silly.

I imagine there's a lot more old FMV utilizing games, then there are games on the Neo Geo MVS.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
nullPointer
128-bit

Post by nullPointer »

nullPointer wrote:I voted FMV and Neo Geo. In regards to FMV how strict are we regarding the live action qualification? The reason I ask is that I also have a bit of a soft spot for animated FMV games. Although the real classics in this aspect of the genre were released in the 80's (e.g. Dragon's Lair, Space Ace, Thayer's Quest, etc.), there are certainly some notable titles that released in the 90's as well. Not that it changes my vote by much, but I'd definitely be interested in playing Dragon's Lair II and Brain Dead 13 depending on how relaxed our stance on live-action is.

I know the intro post has the live-action qualifier, but I wanted to double check the above in the event that animated FMV titles were simply not considered. I'm trying to get a game plan in place in terms of titles, versions, etc. ... only to have that plan dashed when we inevitably play Neo Geo games next month. :lol:

So what say us? In the alternate future timeline where we do end up playing FMV titles, would the above games be considered valid choices?
ESauced
64-bit

Post by ESauced »

This is the second month in a row that I pulled my vote off my initial favorite after becoming gung-ho about another option once someone mentioned a game I hadn’t thought of.

FMV! FMV! FMV!
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

Post by BogusMeatFactory »

ESauced wrote:This is the second month in a row that I pulled my vote off my initial favorite after becoming gung-ho about another option once someone mentioned a game I hadn’t thought of.

FMV! FMV! FMV!

Oh! What was the game!?! And welcome to the awesome world of FMV!
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.
Ack

Post by Ack »

Oh snap, this vote is getting close.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

I am fully prepared to abandon my current positions to keep FMV from winning.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.