Join in on our classic gaming club!
nullPointer
128-bit

Re: Together Retro: Eighties' Ladies' Night

by nullPointer Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:10 pm

Xeogred wrote:I'm hoping to get back to The Guardian Legend this weekend and knock it out in the nick of time.

You and me both, man!

I just started The Guardian Legend last night, and I have to say that it's pretty fantastic so far. As others have pointed out, the on-foot sections remind me of Blaster Master, although due to the fact that the release dates are so close together I suspect the similarity is coincidental. In fact after playing The Guardian Legend for a while, I wish Blaster Master had the type of tight controls seen here. On the other hand, I've also wished that The Guardian Legend allowed for strafing in the way that Blaster Master does.

This game is super generous with various power-ups, to the point where I'm not even sure what some of them do. I probably need to experiment more with them, but due to finite amounts of ammo, I don't want to experiment too much. But yeah I just defeated my second shmup boss last night (a terrifying underwater abomination with razor sharp teeth that generates heat seeking squid), and I already have like eight(?) or so various weapon power-ups with the apparent capacity in my inventory for several more.

Speaking of the shmup sections, they kind of eat my lunch. I'm not the best at shoot 'em ups, and overhead shmups in particular are a weak point in my gaming repertoire. So far I've been managing okay, but I'm also hoping that these sections don't take a sudden turn for the super difficult. Seriously, when I beat the underwater boss I mentioned above I had zero life left. And that's not hyperbole; I literally had an empty life bar. I didn't even know that was possible. :lol:

I'm getting a lot of enjoyment out of this one, so hopefully I can beat it int he next couple of days. I think I just may have saved the best for last this month!
Last edited by nullPointer on Thu Mar 29, 2018 3:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

by prfsnl_gmr Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:09 pm

It is really well-designed. If you hunt down all the upgrades in the “blaster master” sections, you will be fine. There are still some challenging sections, but you can get through them with a little practice. Be sure to bring lots of enemy erasers to the last boss, though!
Sarge
Next-Gen

by Sarge Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:39 pm

Also, you'll find that the upgraded Fireball shot turns out to be a great weapon against bosses.

I'm pretty sure Optomon is going to be the first boss that really tests you. I think it smooths out quite a bit from there, but sometimes you might not be as powered up as you'd like when you fight him. I will say, however, that I'm not the greatest shmup player, either, so if I can get through it, you should be okay. :)

Anyway, I forgot to post this the other night, from over at HRG:

Beat Valis II. It was thoroughly mediocre. Not offensive, not bad, but not great, either. Just decent. I'll give it a 5.0.

Once again, you step into the boots of Yuko. This entry is the roughest-looking one on the Duo; I'm not even sure it's a Duo game so much as a Super CD game. Could be wrong. Either way, there's not a whole lot to the level layouts, just enemies popping in at points and such, a few bits of platforming, and so forth. Really, if you're careful, you'll never be in danger of getting a game over. This was literally the first time I'd ever played it, and I only died twice, both to bosses. And even those I suspect could be plowed through knowing what I know now.

Given the vintage, they did an okay job with remaking it. This was originally on the PC-98/88 and MSX. I haven't actually played those, but if the original game is anything to go by, this is a step up, even with the bland-ish level design.

Other than that, there are the standard cinematics that I can't understand because I speaketh not yon Japanese. Pretty sure they're not terribly important, honestly. A little blood, a tiny bit of cheesecake, and... yeah, that's about it.

(Apparently there is a English version, but I didn't play it. Oh well. Not wasting another CD on it.)

(Also, apparently there is a translated X68K version, but I looked at the video, and despite it supposedly being the "best" version, the controls looked absolutely awful.)
Hardcore Retro Gaming - Talk about games ten years old or older!
“History isn't just the story of bad people doing bad things. It's quite as much a story of people trying to do good things. But somehow, something goes wrong.” -- C.S. Lewis
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

by BoneSnapDeez Thu Mar 29, 2018 1:25 pm

I got the Famicom Valis this month and whoa boy is it rough.
nullPointer
128-bit

by nullPointer Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:17 pm

Just a brief update on The Guardian Legend. I cleared two more corridors last night, but more importantly I finally figured out the ammo system for the special weapons. I hadn't noticed that they all refill as you replenish your chips. <facepalm> :oops:. I think the Blaster Master similarities had me thinking that you needed to replenish each specific weapon individually. So that was good news.

And Sarge you're right, the fireball really works a treat on the shmup bosses, and I haven't even upgraded it yet. :D
Markies
128-bit

by Markies Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:49 pm

So, it looks like I won't be getting to Final Fantasy II this week.

I'll hopefully be starting it next week, but that is April.

So, with FMV happening next month, it looks like I will go 0 - 4 on these Together Retro Months.

Hopefully next month will give me some time so that I can do May, whatever that might be.
marurun

by marurun Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:10 pm

Valis II was the first Valis title ported to the PC Engine and it was a regular CD-ROM title. It is rather rough at the edges, yeah. I think it was also one of Telenet’s first PCE titles overall.
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
CFFJR
Next-Gen

by CFFJR Fri Mar 30, 2018 6:50 am

Well I spent quite a bit of time tonight playing Shubibinman, an action platformer.

It's a pretty rough game. It takes time build up momentum when you move, and if you let go of the pad, you slow to a stop at about the same pace. It wouldn't be so weird though if it didn't feel like you're being dragged back. But you can quickly stop yourself by slashing your sword or ducking. Takes some getting used to.

Platforming itself isn't so bad once you do though, especially because you can step quite a ways off a ledge without actually falling off of it.

More frustrating are some obnoxious design decisions, such as platforms that slide you along conveyor belt style (quite fast and directly in to pits) without any visual indication that they do so. They look like like any other floor you can stand on. So you land and oh shit. There are also a couple of levels with Mega Man style shifting blocks, but the transitions are instant, and in one case don't activate until you step on the first block, which immediately disappears and dumps your ass in lava (or whatever it is, some hazard). There are also these missile hazards, sometimes thrown by enemies, other times just appearing off screen. If you know one is coming and try to anticipate it by ducking for example, it comes in at your ducking height instead. Some are incredibly fast, so it often seems like there just isn't time to dodge.

There's more, but the point is there are a lot of "fuck you player" moments in this game.

Anyway, the game has a map and you can choose your route, but you'll end up playing the other levels anyway because completing them gets you upgrades like tougher armor, a stronger sword, and upgrading a beam attack you can do by holding the attacking button. There's also some shop options where you can spend gold, but as the game is in japanese I don't know what they really do. I definitely had some bonuses happen, like my life suddenly refilling when I'd lost it all, but I could never get this sort of thing to happen consistently.

Anyway, I ultimately beat all of the levels and made it to the final boss, whom I fought 6 or 7 times before getting a game over. He's too fast to dodge, and watching videos it appears the strategy is "eat shit while you pray". No seriously, look here: https://youtu.be/UYz4mJNl5O8?t=287 The player in the video has a larger health bar than I did, and while I did get 2 extensions (there are 4 possible) I don't know how. My attacks weren't any different, so it appears you must simply outlast the boss.

I'm a little peeved I didn't beat it, but I also don't particularly want to revisit the game to try again. It's just not very fun. :| Apparently the sequels are a huge improvement.
GameSack wrote:That's right, only Sega had the skill to make a proper Nintendo game.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

by BoneSnapDeez Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:09 am

Oh so Shockman is the sequel to that? Interesting.
laurenhiya21
Next-Gen

by laurenhiya21 Sat Mar 31, 2018 1:41 am

Been too exhausted to play too much Metroid (or really much of anything really), but I did manage to play some today! Thanks to your guy's suggestions I did manage to make some progression woo!

I'm using the patch to allow saving + a map (although I couldn't actually figure out how to save without dying) and I'm using a map to help. I got the morph ball bomb, some missiles, the ice beam, and the long beam. I won't say that I'm liking the game so far, but I'm not hating it either. Using a map definitely makes it a lot better (and the ice beam is nice!), but I'm not a huge fan of having to grind up for health especially after getting missiles, since that meant health dropped less often.

Unfortunately even though I made some progress, my save state won't load back up! I'm not used to emulating NES, and I was expecting it to be nice and easy to save & load save states like with my SNES emulator, but nope! :evil: I probably wasn't going to make too much more progress before the end of the month anyway (yay homework...), but I still was planning on going back to it :|
Return to Together Retro