Join in on our classic gaming club!
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

Re: Together Retro: Eighties' Ladies' Night

by BogusMeatFactory Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:27 pm

Ack wrote:
marurun wrote:I feel like the message I should be taking away from this is, "It was the 80s. Just be glad there was a woman in it who wasn't the one being rescued."

Yes and no. Some of the responses have definitely leaned towards "These characters were being used for sex appeal" while others were knock offs of one of video games' most famous female protagonists(who appeared in a bikini if you got a really quick run...). One thing I did notice was how many said gender didn't matter or play a part in a given game, which implies to me that we should have gotten more games with female leads. If the takeaway is that it's not a big deal, why then were there so many fewer female protagonists? And how many of those were there purely for sex appeal?

Also, Null's bringing up his views on the game he is playing, which was principally designed and developed by a woman, serves a great point. Null said he didn't feel the game is shaped by the lead dev's gender, which says to me that the industry should be more willing to continue to strive for greater inclusion. After all, if the absolute worst it might bring us is pretty much the same as we already get, what is the harm in being more welcoming?

How I viewed the idea that, "It could have been a guy in the role," as being a case of having it a female for eye candy. I would say that the vast majority have a female main character or female characters to fill the eye candy role and not provide a different perspective.
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

by Gunstar Green Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:41 pm

Pictured: Sex appeal.

Though I agree most female characters in the 80's were there for that purpose.
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

by BogusMeatFactory Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:44 pm

Gunstar Green wrote:Image

I find that picture to be extremely sexy.
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.
marurun

by marurun Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:53 pm

Gunstar Green wrote:Image

Those boots are hawt. I can say the art style is totally sexy.

I mean, really, Samus was ultimately for sex appeal, because it was really about earning the bikini at the end. So Metroid knock-offs, even if they're not going for sex appeal themselves, still exist because of it.
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:57 pm

marurun wrote:I mean, really, Samus was ultimately for sex appeal,

I always thought Samus was female because Metroid was kind of going for the Ripley/Alien thing. Am I just naive?
PresidentLeever
128-bit

by PresidentLeever Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:10 pm

Well sometimes it seems rather obvious but we usually don't know the intent. I think Samus also came to be because of movies like Alien. It would be interesting if more game journalists brought up gender in interviews (in a non-confrontational way).

Ack wrote:But then, the vast majority of protagonists are white males in Gain Ground. Of your 20 characters, 1 is a black male, 1 is a Japanese male, 2 appear to be fantasy races (they look like a stereotypical dwarf and elf to me), and 1 is indeterminable due to wearing a mask.

Interestingly they changed some characters' skintone in the genesis one. I had a look and would count 5 as black or dark skinned (one woman) and then a few are kinda hard to pinpoint like the machinegunner and the bearded knight. The sprites seem to not correspond with the artwork at times though.
http://minirevver.weebly.com/ - Mini-reviews, retro vgm tribute, rom hacks, chip music, mockups, misc. lists
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

by Gunstar Green Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:12 pm

marurun wrote:I mean, really, Samus was ultimately for sex appeal, because it was really about earning the bikini at the end. So Metroid knock-offs, even if they're not going for sex appeal themselves, still exist because of it.

Baraduke: 1985
Metroid: 1986

marurun

by marurun Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:13 pm

noiseredux wrote:

I always thought Samus was female because Metroid was kind of going for the Ripley/Alien thing. Am I just naive?

Might be 6 of one, half a dozen of the other, but the bikini screen at the end of the game is not an accident. Just sayin'...

Gunstar Green wrote:
marurun wrote:I mean, really, Samus was ultimately for sex appeal, because it was really about earning the bikini at the end. So Metroid knock-offs, even if they're not going for sex appeal themselves, still exist because of it.

Baraduke: 1985
Metroid: 1986

[img]<span%20class="skimlinks-unlinked">https://emojipedia-us.s3.amazonaws.com/thumbs/120/emoji-one/104/thinking-face_1f914.png</span>[/img]

Oh, I thought that was one of the Metroid clones like Layla and one of the others brought up earlier. My statement still applies to them. Doesn't apply, apparently, to Baraduke.
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
nullPointer
128-bit

by nullPointer Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:22 pm

noiseredux wrote:

I'm actually not so sure on this either. In retrospect we can certainly look back at it in this way. For a modern gaming audience it's hard to imagine Samus as anything other than a female character, but at the time of its release I feel like the end reveal was rather clever and subversive. "You mean I've been playing as a chick this whole time!? And I didn't get cooties!?"

In truth though I didn't even make this connection as a kid. I took so long to beat Metroid that I only got the ending where her helmet is removed. Like, "Huh, that kind of looks like the dude from Simply Red." :mrgreen:
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

by ElkinFencer10 Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:23 pm

I like sexy video game ladies.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

Return to Together Retro