Together Retro: Eighties' Ladies' Night

Join in on our classic gaming club!
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

Re: Together Retro: Eighties' Ladies' Night

Post by BogusMeatFactory »

dsheinem wrote:What can I play for this month on PSVR?

If you had vr on your pc you could play retro arcade neon which is a virtual arcade you set up with your roms and can set up the attract screens and cabinet art and play! It is actually super versatile and I love it.
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

dunpeal2064 wrote:I plan to make wrongs right and finally play through The Guardian Legend this month.

Absolutely worth doing. The Guardian Legend is spectacular.

alienjesus wrote:This is a patch you can apply to a Legend of Zelda rom which lets you play the game as Zelda and rescue Link.

Ha, I'm glad someone made that mod. Certainly makes the namesake more relevant.

Nemoide wrote:1) Metroid (NES) - I've popped in the cartridge and fooled around but never made a serious go at trying to beat it. I expect to be looking at a walkthrough.

By all means if someone hasn't yet played through Metroid, I would personally recommend doing so. I still think it's a fantastic experience to this day. If the base game is just too difficult, there are some pretty extensive mods out there that make it play more like the modern 2D entries. Like adding a mini-map and full map to the game, saving without passwords, that sort of thing. This one is a popular hack: https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/3134/

-

It's very easy for me to get carried away in TRs. I tend to play too many games and burn myself out. I'm trying not to do that here, but doing all the research I did for the game list led me to finding lots of stuff I'm interested in. I'm not going to list all of them, as I like to surprise folks. With this TR I'll just say my minimum goal is to beat five games, and my maximum goal is to beat ten games. We'll see how it goes. I'm very much looking forward to seeing what people choose to play for ELN.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

prfsnl_gmr wrote:(I’d love to play the old FMV Time Gal game, but I don’t have a good way to play it...)

some of those old laserdisc FMV games have been re-released on DVD or Blu-Ray. I wonder if Time Gal was?
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

noiseredux wrote:some of those old laserdisc FMV games have been re-released on DVD or Blu-Ray. I wonder if Time Gal was?

Time Gal exists officially on Arcade, Saturn, Amiga CD32, Mega/Sega CD, Android, Playstation, and MSX (via Sony laserdisc player). Those are all the ports I Know of. Here's a video showing differences between versions: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rkk5upY75dU
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

HG101 notes:
Unlike Don Bluth's FMV games, no DVD or Blu-Ray remaster seems to exist for this or any other Taito interactive movie title, so laserdisc-quality is the best you can get.
Ack

Post by Ack »

I'll be putting up my thoughts on Golden Axe later today when I have time since I beat it yesterday. But for now, I plan to play the Genesis port of the arcade game Flicky. Depending on how the mood strikes me, I may follow it with Gain Ground.
elricorico
32-bit

Post by elricorico »

This TR has inspired me to (finally) play the original Phantasy Star. I got a head start yesterday largely just grinding for levels but I did pick up two companions closer to the end of my playing. So far so good.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

Ack wrote:But for now, I plan to play the Genesis port of the arcade game Flicky.

There's one I missed! Forgot about Flicky. Nice choice.

elricorico wrote:This TR has inspired me to (finally) play the original Phantasy Star. I got a head start yesterday largely just grinding for levels but I did pick up two companions closer to the end of my playing. So far so good.

That's awesome man. Phantasy Star is my personal all time favorite 8-bit JRPG. A lot of folks complain about Phantasy Star being grindy, but honestly the beginning is the grindiest part. The going gets smoother the longer you play. I'd say the difficulty overall continuously slopes downward. Anyway, lovely experience, amazing protagonist. I hope you enjoy it all the way through.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
nullPointer
128-bit

Post by nullPointer »

Exhuminator wrote:Image

Holy crap; epic kick-off post man! Thanks a bunch, I needed that laugh today. I'll likely post up some initial thoughts within the next couple of days.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

Exhuminator wrote:That's awesome man. Phantasy Star is my personal all time favorite 8-bit JRPG.

samesies!