Together Retro: Eighties' Ladies' Night

Join in on our classic gaming club!
Sload Soap
Next-Gen

Re: Together Retro: Eighties' Ladies' Night

Post by Sload Soap »

Thanks guys. Yeah, I know about slow localizations for DQ games, we didn't get a mainline one over here until VIII.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

What's crazy is we got Phantasy Star here in the States before Dragon Quest. No one knew about it though, cuz Master System.
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

That's what I try to point out to folks. Dragon Quest was doing a lot of stuff before Phantasy Star came along, and DQIII easily matches the scope of PS, even if it doesn't stack up graphically. For a first stab at an RPG, Sega did a great job, though.
Ack

Post by Ack »

Well, it looks like my current run to wrap up Flicky is done. I came home Friday to discover we had experienced a power surge that morning, and my PC's power supply had given up the ghost. I have already ordered replacement parts and some upgrades I sorely needed, but I am not sure how soon I will be able to get back to Steam.

Still, I do plan to get back to Flicky eventually. I've had a good time this month trying out games I likely never would have considered playing otherwise. In the meantime, back to GOG, since many of those games run on my ancient laptop.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

Ack wrote:In the meantime, back to GOG, since many of those games run on my ancient laptop.

Unlike Flicky, which is just way too demanding... :lol:
Ack

Post by Ack »

Hahaha, it's not Flicky, it's Steam!
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:What's crazy is we got Phantasy Star here in the States before Dragon Quest. No one knew about it though, cuz Master System.

I was lucky enough at 9 years old (1988) to have both a Master System and Phantasy Star, due to the influence of a wonderful uncle. As such I can concur, no one at my school (Tallahassee FL at the time) had any idea what Phantasy Star was.

Sarge wrote:Dragon Quest was doing a lot of stuff before Phantasy Star came along

Those 3D dungeons tho.

Ack wrote:back to GOG

Always a wise decision.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

yeah by my memory I wasn't aware of Phantasy Star until Phantasy Star II came out and I assumed there had to have been a first one haha.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

Yeah I actually found out the Master System existed when I went to seek out the first Phantasy Star game and couldn't find it on Genesis.
(of course if I had lived in Japan...)
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:Yeah I actually found out the Master System existed when I went to seek out the first Phantasy Star game and couldn't find it on Genesis.
(of course if I had lived in Japan...)

Wow. I had no idea that Phantasy Star was ported to Mega Drive in 1994. It's kind of hard to find info on this release. Does it have any significant differences? Updated graphics or music?
PLAY KING'S FIELD.