Together Retro: Eighties' Ladies' Night

Join in on our classic gaming club!
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Re: Together Retro: Eighties' Ladies' Night

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

Alight, I took a break from Valkyrie and played Otenba Becky no Daibouken (MSX). Also known as Tomboyish Becky's Large Adventure. This seems to be a "looper" so I just played until I went mad. I believe I've seen every level variation at least once. Will put in another session tomorrow, and then write a bit more for Games Beaten. It's a thoroughly unimpressive game, a neutered Load Runner, though probably not horrendous for '83 standards.
pierrot
Next-Gen

Post by pierrot »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:Damn Valkyrie no Bouken is rough. A glance at YouTube footage confirms my suspicions. The game has about 45-60 minutes of "content" padded with hours of leveling up. Poor hit detection, tedious combat... it just isn't much fun. The game's a sunk cost at this point. I may finish it, but only because I started it. Or I may abandon it for awhile in favor of something else, or quit altogether. We'll see! Just wish I hadn't started the month off with this one...

Have you made it to the pyramids? I put in at least 6 hours to get to that point, before I relented, and started relying entirely on a walkthrough. I'm curious where it was that the game broke you.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

Technically not there yet, but a glance at a walkthrough says that's the next thing on my agenda.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

As I was researching the Adventure Island series today (i.e., seeing how much Famicom games cost on eBay), I discovered Takahashi Meijin no Bug-tte Honey. It is a 1987 Japanese adventure game for the Famicom starring the Hudson Honey Bee Fairy that is also a spin-off of the Adventure Island series. (Apparently, it is based on the anime series based on the original Adventure Island.). There is a fan translation, and apparently it is both bizarre and terrible. I can’t wait to play it, and I think it will replace Legacy of the Wizard as my game for this month’s together retro!
elricorico
32-bit

Post by elricorico »

After a busy few days I got to put a little more time into Phantasy Star. Cleared a couple dungeons, increased my party's capacity to do damage significantly and visited the governor to move the story along. I'm not really sure what the significance of the bad dream I had was. Maybe later in the game it will be more clear?

I'm liking this game a lot. Especially when I imagine how it would have been to play this when it was current. I'm looking forward to the next play session.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

I went in big on Zelda starring Zelda last night. I started at dungeon 3, and cleared all the way to dungeon 8, grabbing all the power ups along the way - I just need to get the stuff from Ganon's Lair and beat the big man himself now.

Knowing later Zelda lore and playing with the roles swapped has me coming up with my own story about why Ganon has kidnapped Link instead of Zelda - I mean, it's weird that he always makes a beeline for Zelda anyway, seeing as he knows both her and Link have the power of the triforce - why does he go straight for Zelda and not the almost helpless 3 heart link with no items anyway?

I expect I'll beat this next time I play, although I certainly remember the last dungeon being no cakewalk.

Actually, the dungeon difficulty is really inconsistent anyway - dungeon 7 is a breeze with easy moblin enemies and a repeat of the first boss, but dungeon 6 was horrible - full of powerful wizzrobes who did a number on me.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

alienjesus wrote:I went in big on Zelda starring Zelda last night. I started at dungeon 3, and cleared all the way to dungeon 8, grabbing all the power ups along the way - I just need to get the stuff from Ganon's Lair and beat the big man himself now.

Knowing later Zelda lore and playing with the roles swapped has me coming up with my own story about why Ganon has kidnapped Link instead of Zelda - I mean, it's weird that he always makes a beeline for Zelda anyway, seeing as he knows both her and Link have the power of the triforce - why does he go straight for Zelda and not the almost helpless 3 heart link with no items anyway?

I expect I'll beat this next time I play, although I certainly remember the last dungeon being no cakewalk.

Actually, the dungeon difficulty is really inconsistent anyway - dungeon 7 is a breeze with easy moblin enemies and a repeat of the first boss, but dungeon 6 was horrible - full of powerful wizzrobes who did a number on me.

It is awesome that you are playing this classic...but, just curious: how are you counting this as an 80's Ladies Night title?
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

dsheinem wrote:
alienjesus wrote:I went in big on Zelda starring Zelda last night. I started at dungeon 3, and cleared all the way to dungeon 8, grabbing all the power ups along the way - I just need to get the stuff from Ganon's Lair and beat the big man himself now.

It is awesome that you are playing this classic...but, just curious: how are you counting this as an 80's Ladies Night title?

http://kennastuff.blogspot.co.uk/2013/03/zelda-starring-zelda-story.html

I am using the patch featured above - it let's you play the game as Zelda instead of Link. Sure, it's not an official 80s game starring a lady, but I think it's interesting to see how fans take this stuff into their own hands. There is an equivalent patch for A Link To The Past, as well as a patch for Wind Waker which makes everyone refer to Link as female, although it does not change the model for the character.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

alienjesus wrote:
dsheinem wrote:

http://kennastuff.blogspot.co.uk/2013/03/zelda-starring-zelda-story.html

I am using the patch featured above - it let's you play the game as Zelda instead of Link. Sure, it's not an official 80s game starring a lady, but I think it's interesting to see how fans take this stuff into their own hands. There is an equivalent patch for A Link To The Past, as well as a patch for Wind Waker which makes everyone refer to Link as female, although it does not change the model for the character.

ah, gothca!
Ack

Post by Ack »

Flicky is coming along. I put a few attempts into it every few nights but try not to focus on it too seriously, as some levels can be really frustrating. There is one in the late 20s that stumped me for a while, and I'm still not pleased about it.

Basically, in Flicky you play a bird that is helping baby birds escape cats and lizards. To do this, you have to grab the baby birds and lead them to the exit. However, cats and lizards can knock the baby birds away from you, and if they hit you, you die. You can fight, but only by grabbing objects strewn throughout the various levels, and you automatically launch said item whenever you jump...which is a lot.

The physics are something I struggle with. Flicky feels really floaty, which makes sense since you're a bird, but you also bounce off walls too, making precision often difficult. The thrown weapons also suffer drop almost immediately, so you may miss a lot when going after jumping cats. That said, you can sometimes get ridiculous trick shots off that clear all opponents from the board, so there are trade offs. And most levels are over quickly; the longest I've ever taken was 40 seconds or so.