Together Retro: Eighties' Ladies' Night

Join in on our classic gaming club!
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Re: Together Retro: Eighties' Ladies' Night

Post by Exhuminator »

Messed around and played through The NinjaWarriors via MAME today.
I got to be an '80s female android NINJA.
Who had to kill the president.
Of the USA.
In 1993.

ALRIGHTY

I also learned the importance of drinking Mulk. Daddy Mulk.

Full review here.

-

I am going to once more attempt to beat The Wing of Madoola this weekend. I've gotten awful close. Twice. And failed. More than twice. The game pisses me off. But we're still friends.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

Hate to double post, but happenstance necessitates.

-

After a few hard nights of getting schooled by The Wing of Madoola, I finally beat it tonight.
Pierrot was right, this game's pretty great. Although I did hate it at first honestly. It gets better!
Of all the Eighties' Ladies' Night games I've beaten, this one uses its subject matter most subversively:

ImageImage

Yes, the princess saves the prince in 1986. (Eat your heart out Götzendiener.)

There were times I raged at Madoola, but overall it's definitely classic Sunsoft.
That means it's good. Full review here.

-

And with that, I have accomplished my personal ELN curator goal of beating ten related games. Phew! I need a break folks. :lol: Time for Ex to play other things now. So for the rest of March, I'll be taking a more passive stance, reading up on other TR members' experiences. I'm looking forward to seeing what the next two weeks brings this thread in that regard. There's still lots of qualifying games that fit the theme, which no one has discussed yet. :wink:
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
elricorico
32-bit

Post by elricorico »

Thought I should update my progress in Phantasy Star. I've had some time in short bursts to play and I've just blasted off in a spaceship made just for me. I am definitely enjoying my play time; progress seems to be reasonably steady and I haven't had to stop to really grind for a while now.

I'm starting to compare this to Dragon Warrior and Final Fantasy, as I'm sure has been done to death by others before me. I'm comfortable at this point saying that this one is a standout when it comes to the visuals, and the gameplay is at least a match for Final Fantasy, which I already thought was better than Dragon Warrior in all ways. The music and sounds are not my favorite though. Some of the sound effect choices are a bit perplexing; who thought that a random 2 second tone was a good attack sound idea? Musically it can't compare to the nostalgic fuzziness that Final Fantasy music gives me every time.

I won't give judgement on story yet as I still have plenty of game left to play. Even so, I'm sure that had I played this game back when it was released it would hold a high place amongst my all time favorites. Eight and sixteen bit RPGs are what I grew up on, I just never had access to a Master System back then.

I definitely see myself finishing this game but some upcoming time constraints will likely mean the finish comes in April. I'll do my best to keep it moving though.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

About 12 hrs into Phantasy Star II now and the grind is starting to burn me out...
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

I finished up Wonder Boy: The Dragon's Trap yesterday and restorer Hu-Girl to her original form.

I then decided to follow that up with Valkyrie No Densetsu, and ... well, I'm not optimistic about my chances of finishing this one this month. Multiple attempts got me as far as stage 4 once, but most time I died on stage 2. I'm pretty sure there are 7.

The game does have passwords, but they seem to save your items and lives too, so unfortunately I can't exploit them easily to progress. It might be that I need to load up my password over and over and attempt to beat each stage without dying so I can slowly progress through it.
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

Made a run through Flashgal for this month's Together Retro. Given the game's vintage, I can forgive a lot of flaws. It takes the form of an auto-scroller, where you progressively move right and punch and kick enemies as what would have ostensibly been Wonder Woman in a licensed game. You start with a power gauge that continually counts down, but you replenish it by defeating enemies. Think Adventure Island, except instead of fruit, you deal death instead.

There are also some rough shooting segments as well. You get to ride a jet ski, which I might add can only fire upwards. You can jump, but once you commit, that's it, you're not doing anything else. You don't get a power gauge this time, one hit and you're toast. Thankfully, the game is nice enough to let you keep continuing until you beat it, unlike a lot of other games that would shut you off after a while (coughRygarcough). There's a similar motorcycle stage, and a jet stage as well that takes the form of a standard shooter.

Oh, I forgot to mention that occasionally, you can pick up a gun in the brawling stages. Unlimited ammo, crazy powerful... if you get it, try to stay alive! Another quirk is that if you knock an enemy off the screen, they apparently die immediately. This can be useful against the multi-hit bosses, shortening the battle quickly if you can pop them as soon as they spawn in.

For the time... I dunno. 1985 also saw stuff like Gradius and Ghosts 'N Goblins released. This doesn't compare well at all, feeling a lot like a much earlier project. And for all we know, it was, and it just didn't find release until it was repurposed without a Wonder Woman license or something. Or, you know, just Sega pulling a Sega like they did with Revenge of the Shinobi appropriating both Spider-Man and Batman. At least they tried to change things this time! ;)

Anyway, I played until it looped twice, and decided there wasn't going to be a kill screen forthcoming. The longplay seems to confirm that there's not much else to it. I'd give it... 4/10? I mean, it's no great shakes, but I'm not offended playing it, either. A little below average seems fair.

EDIT: Also, Ex, good job finishing Alien Syndrome. I tried to give it a go, and got my head handed to me. I think I just need to understand the boss patterns a bit better. I don't have any real experience with the ports, either. Did they help when you played through, or is the arcade version a different beast?
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

Sarge wrote:You get to ride a jet ski, which I might add can only fire upwards.

I don't know if you saw earlier in this thread, but I also played Flashgal. That jet ski stage made me quite playing it.

Sarge wrote:Also, Ex, good job finishing Alien Syndrome. Did they help when you played through, or is the arcade version a different beast?

I finished the arcade version via MAME. The only version I've played besides the arcade version is the SMS version, which was the exact same from what I remember, just worse graphics. Even playing the MAME version isn't much easier, because despite the fact you have unlimited virtual credits or whatever, you still have a hard time limit to beat for every stage. If you fail the time limit, you fail the game. That really SUCKS when you're near the end, and have to restart the whole game again. It took me quite a few tries before I came up with the right strategies to kill each boss fast enough. I recommend the laser beam 24/7. I'm betting Alien Syndrome would be easier co-op, but I didn't play it that way unfortunately.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

Post by PartridgeSenpai »

I may invest in the 3DS or Super Famicom version of Dragon Quest 3, because the Famicom one has some more minor problems and then one really big problem that I'm not sure I can get around.
Minor Problems:
- The controls are a bit stiff and slow, but it's not like it's an action game, so that's a very minor annoyance.
- I'm not sure it's displaying properly. I'm not sure if the game is supposed to look so fuzzy, but the font of the text is crazy hard to read on my flatscreen. This doesn't do my major problem any favors.

Major Problem:
- Auto-scrolling text. The game seems to auto-scroll the box of text in a sequence of dialogue. Pair this in with the hard to read font and I have barely any idea what's going on :lol: (not to mention I can't look up what words I don't know because they're gone :? ).

I'm hoping I can fix that last problem by turning down the text speed all the way, but if I can't do that then I'm gonna need to fork out the 16 bucks for the 3DS version if I wanna play it :P
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

Play the GBC version. It’s sublime.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

PartridgeSenpai wrote:Super Famicom version of Dragon Quest 3

Personally I believe the Super Famicom version of DQ3 is the best, and it has a great English fan translation to boot. Graphically and aurally the SFC version blows the NES/GBC versions out of the water. That said, the GBC version has a few QoL features and a tiny bit of extra content that some folks prefer.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.