March's Together Retro Theme: Your 2 votes VS 5 bad ideas!

Join in on our classic gaming club!

See thread below for poll choice descriptions.

Poll ended at Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:08 am

All the Rest of Dragon Quest
11%
Classic '90s RTS
22%
Eighties' Ladies' Night
28%
Koei Klassics
11%
Premillennial Mech Madness
28%

Total votes: 72

marurun

Re: March's Together Retro Theme: Your 2 votes VS 5 bad idea

Post by marurun »

Would a game like Star Control 2, or it's more modern OS remake (2002 first release, based on the SC2 source release), Ur-Quan Masters, count as RTS?
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

Ack wrote:No, seriously, go play Total Annihilation.

If someone isn't into sci-fi, but still wants to play TA, there's:

marurun wrote:Would a game like Star Control 2, or it's more modern OS remake (2002 first release, based on the SC2 source release), Ur-Quan Masters, count as RTS?

I don't know much about those games honestly. But, I just watched some videos on Youtube. Based on what I saw, Star Control II looked more like a space sim in the style of Elite or Privateer, versus say an actual space RTS like Homeworld or Imperium Galactica. So I'd say no from what I've seen.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Ack

Post by Ack »

Exhuminator wrote:

marurun wrote:Would a game like Star Control 2, or it's more modern OS remake (2002 first release, based on the SC2 source release), Ur-Quan Masters, count as RTS?

I don't know much about those games honestly. But, I just watched some videos on Youtube. Based on what I saw, Star Control II looked more like a space sim in the style of Elite or Privateer, versus say an actual space RTS like Homeworld or Imperium Galactica. So I'd say no from what I've seen.

Yeah, I was under the impression that SC2 was one of those space shipping simulators, where there's a plot and you're going along, but ultimately it's about you transporting resources between planets and getting better ships...for transporting resources between planets. Not that I'm being critical. It's a genre I always found somewhat meditative and enjoyable.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

I have the Command and Conquer decade collection or whatever that included up to I think Zero Hour, so if that ends up being our theme, I'm gonna be playing a LOT of C&C.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

Lots of variety and interesting ideas.

All the Rest of Dragon Quest - considering I have yet to finish any main DQ game, I'm not sure about this one.

Classic '90s RTS - this sounds like a cool idea but I have hard time imagining that I would finish any RTS in this day and age. I loved Star Craft back in the day as it took over the world. I also loved Total Annihilation and played a ton of that... but I bet nobody here can comment on the campaign. It would be fun to dip into some classic RTS's, but I don't know if I'd go that deep with any of them or finish a campaign. I don't have much interest in isometric games anymore.

Eighties' Ladies' Night - gets my first vote since one of the example titles listed is something I've been meaning to check out.

Koei Klassics - leaning towards this one for my second choice. Winback getting name dropped is funny, I loved that game. If Ex or someone will provide a nice list to work off of, this could be cool for dipping into some obscure stuff I don't know much about.

Premillennial Mech Madness - although I'm not an expert on mecha videogames, I love mecha anime ... I think the other choices would be more out of my comfort zone which sounds fun.
TheSSNintendo
128-bit

Post by TheSSNintendo »

Gave a vote to 80's Ladies Night. Never have finished The Guardian Legend.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

Exhuminator wrote:

As the resident SC2 expert, I can say that no, it's not really an RTS. It's best characterized as an RPG with Space War! as the combat engine. The space gameplay dates back to Starflight and gets reused again in Mass Effect 2; fly around, collect resources, find NPCs, get information, solve sidequests, move the plot along. The biggest thing it's missing in terms of proper RPGness is character stats; instead it's all equipment based.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

‘80s Ladies Night!

Those of you who haven’t played The Guardian Legend, Metroid, or Phantasy Star need to get on it. Me? I’ll be playing...Athena, I guess... :lol:

Edit: Ghost Lion!!!
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

Xeogred wrote:If Ex or someone will provide a nice list to work off of, this could be cool for dipping into some obscure stuff I don't know much about.

You would probably like:

Crimson Sea (Xbox)
Crimson Sea 2 (PS2)
Saiyuki: Journey West (PS1)
Kessen I, II, and III (PS2)

MrPopo wrote:It's best characterized as an RPG with Space War

Kind of reminds me of this then:

https://www.mobygames.com/game/solar-winds-the-escape
https://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/solar-winds-galaxy
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
ESauced
64-bit

Post by ESauced »

Voted for ladies night and mech madness. I don’t think I own a game that fits into any of the categories except for ladies night. My wife loves Ms Pac-Man so maybe I can even get her to participate. I’ve only played a couple mech games ever, Mech Assault and a bit of Titanfall, and I know the ones I have played are more just FPS than other mech games. I’d be curious to play an older one.

I’ve never played an RTS and I’m pretty set in my ways, but if it wins I might try to find one and give it a go.