Join in on our classic gaming club!

See thread below for poll choice descriptions.

Poll ended at Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:08 am

All the Rest of Dragon Quest
11%
Classic '90s RTS
22%
Eighties' Ladies' Night
28%
Koei Klassics
11%
Premillennial Mech Madness
28%

Total votes : 72
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Re: March's Together Retro Theme: Your 2 votes VS 5 bad idea

by Exhuminator Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:18 pm

noiseredux wrote:Are we able to change votes after they've been cast?

From the bottom of this thread's OP:

Exhuminator wrote:You get two votes. You can change your votes.

-

ElkinFencer10 wrote:Normally I'd be right there with yall, but I'm about to buy a house, so that necessitates tightening the belt.

Out of the fucklejillion games you have, I think you're good to go for just about any TR. :lol: (Hope the house thing works out for you!)

-

I just found an article on HG101 about eighties' video game heroines:

http://hg101.kontek.net/inventories/80sheroines.htm

:lol: Great minds think alike?

Let me be clear about that TR choice... as long as the game features a female lead protagonist (even if only in addition to male lead protagonists), it counts. So like, Gauntlet would count.
Markies
128-bit

by Markies Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:26 pm

My first pick was 1980s Female Protagonist because there is a chance I might be able to get to Final Fantasy II in March. Also, I have DW3 to play, so that works as well.

And for my second pick, I didn't have any games to fit though Sayuki by Koei is an utterly fantastic game. So, I went with my favorite and chose the Dragon Quest Spinoffs.

But, these are interesting and varied choices. I like the creativity of them all and am interested in watching everybody's choices.
Sarge
Next-Gen

by Sarge Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:18 pm

Mechs and ladies night. Bonus if it combines both!

Seriously, though, there are a few mech games that I need to dive into. Might even consider jumping into something old school like MechWarrior 2.

I've played a lot of Dragon Quest spinoffs, and I'm not sure I want to dive into DQ's version of Pokemon; I also finished Rocket Slime already. However, I will highly recommend that game to everyone. Splendid game, and criminally overlooked.
Hardcore Retro Gaming - Talk about games ten years old or older!
“History isn't just the story of bad people doing bad things. It's quite as much a story of people trying to do good things. But somehow, something goes wrong.” -- C.S. Lewis
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

by BoneSnapDeez Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:24 pm

Picked ladies and mech. Ladies would be my top pick. I have lots of great NES, FDS, and SMS stuff that would work.

Koei I enjoy quite a bit.

Oddly enough, I've never been into the Dragon Quest spin-offs. The main series is so strong. It's like an inverse Final Fantasy.

I know nothing about RTS. I suppose I could play Lord Monarch.
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

by BogusMeatFactory Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:29 pm

I picked mechs and am waiting to see how things shape up before spending my second vote. I was originally dreading the RTS category, but then realized games like SIM ant, rollercoaster tycoon, theme park etc. would count. Wish black and white came out earlier as I have always had that on my list.

We will see how this shapes up.
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

by Exhuminator Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:35 pm

Sarge wrote:Mechs and ladies night. Bonus if it combines both!

First three that came to my mind:

Be glad you don't have my mind.

I know nothing about RTS. I suppose I could play Lord Monarch.

Yes let us not forget Japanese '90s RTS games. They can count too! We can all have an excuse to finish this.

I was originally dreading the RTS category, but then realized games like SIM ant, rollercoaster tycoon, theme park etc

Yes RTS is more malleable then just the examples the OP mentions. Those were just "obvious choices". If it's a strategy game from the '90s with real time control, it'll work. Bonus points for unit and resource management.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:36 pm

RTS is my top pick. That's the one I really want to see win. I've really started to come around on the genre, and would love an excuse to play another one.

80's Ladies - I realized I could get away w/ re-playing Phantasy Star II (1989, Japan) which I've been meaning to do for years since I never actually finished it.

Mechs would be my third choice, and again I'd dip into the Virtual-On titles. But still my 3rd choice here.

I'm not sure what if anything I could play for the other two.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

by alienjesus Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:49 pm

Valkyrie No Densetsu for PC Engine is another one I'm eyeing up for Ladies Night if it wins. The PC Engine port is actually from 1990, but it's a port of a 1989 arcade game, so it probably counts.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

by Exhuminator Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:54 pm

alienjesus wrote:The PC Engine port is actually from 1990, but it's a port of a 1989 arcade game, so it probably counts.

If the original game released in 1989, and you're playing a straight port (not remake) of the original game, that's kosher.
nullPointer
128-bit

by nullPointer Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:06 pm

Some really nice choices here Ex! I'm still pondering my options.

All the Rest of Dragon Quest
I really like this one in theory. My only issue is that I still need to beat most of the games in the main series. So in some ways I'd like to spend more time with the core series before delving into the obscure aspects. Still I'm fairly fond of Dragon Quest, so I have no doubt I could find something to enjoy.

Classic '90s RTS
On different forum I took part in a random game review challenge in which a random system was first selected by the curator, then a random game was selected from the list of games released for that system. During one month this had us playing Syndicate on Atari Jaguar. I definitely found some enjoyment in Syndicate, but for me the experience was ultimately hampered by the weirdness/wonkiness of the Atari Jaguar (sorry Jaguar fans!). Despite my slight aversion to strategy titles, I always meant to give Syndicate another shot on PC/DOS someday. I've had it sitting in my GOG library for quite some time, so maybe it's time to return to it! Hmm … Commandos: Behind Enemy Lines is another one that's always been intriguing to me.

Eighties' Ladies' Night
I have to admit that I don't have a ton of ideas on this one, but I'm super intrigued nonetheless. How do we feel about WRPGs that allow for the selection of gender?

Koei Klassics
Sigh … Koei pretty much means Nobunaga's Ambition to me, which I think translates as "I Have Great Ambition to Watch Paint Dry" in its native Japanese. Hmm … actually a trip to Wikipedia informs me that Koei developed Winback, a title I've always meant to give its fair shake. I'd need to figure out a way to get it up and running (PS2 most likely), but yeah Winback just made this category much more interesting for me.

Premillennial Mech Madness
This one is so rife with possibility, it definitely gets one of my votes. Right off the top of my head I can think of an NES title I've been meaning to replay and an unbeaten SNES title I've been meaning to play for quite some time.
Return to Together Retro