March's Together Retro Theme: Your 2 votes VS 5 bad ideas!

Join in on our classic gaming club!

See thread below for poll choice descriptions.

Poll ended at Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:08 am

All the Rest of Dragon Quest
11%
Classic '90s RTS
22%
Eighties' Ladies' Night
28%
Koei Klassics
11%
Premillennial Mech Madness
28%

Total votes: 72

Sarge
Next-Gen

Re: March's Together Retro Theme: Your 2 votes VS 5 bad idea

Post by Sarge »

Exhuminator wrote:Interesting. I had a friend with a 486 66mhz, and he could run MW2 like greased lightning. He could also run System Shock 60FPS full screen in 640x480. I was jealous. My 486 33mhz was a joke in comparison.

MW2 was smooth as silk, as you could guess, on our machine. For a while, we had the best machine in the neighborhood, and could run anything we threw at it. That changed when all the 3D-accelerated games started coming out.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

Exhuminator wrote:
MrPopo wrote:Have you ever played Ghost Bear's Legacy or MW2: Mercs? I'll be cheering you on with MW2, but I personally feel it's the weakest of the three.

Nope to either. I've not finished a single PC MW2 entry.

I did beat MW3 (sans Pirate's Moon) and loved it. I beat MechWarrior 2: 31st Century Combat on PS1, and enjoyed it. If I end up playing/enjoying MW2's PC stuff, I'll be open to MW1 and MW4 as well.

I have yet to play MW1 or MW4: Black Knight (not counting the console ports). So of those, here's how I'd rank things:

MW2: Mercs
MW4: Mercs
MW3
MW4
MW2: GBL
MW2
MW3: Pirate's Moon

Every numbered entry has its own quirks. MW2 has various bugs around how damage is applied and the machine guns are horrifically unbalanced (in your favor). MW3 has the tightest economy that makes many of the big ammo guns not worthwhile and legs are easily destroyed and instant kill. MW4 really reduces the customization (you now have weapon bays which are frequently locked to energy/missile/ballistic) and destroying the leg just trashes your move speed, so they aren't worth targeting anymore.

Something to be aware of for MW2; once you get midway through the game you get access to starmates. You are never informed of this fact, and it isn't tied to your rank (which is entirely cosmetic). Just try every mission to add starmates until it lets you.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

Does each MW2 game have a standalone plot?
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Ack

Post by Ack »

Hey guys, I think it's obvious what March's TR really is.

It's a Tide ad.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

Exhuminator wrote:Does each MW2 game have a standalone plot?

MW2 is the Refusal War, with you taking a small part in it.
GBL is a plot set after the Refusal War. It makes reference to the new political state in the plot, but you don't need to have played MW2 to understand anything; either don't know anything about the lore or know the results of the Refusal War will suffice.
MW2: Mercs is the years leading up to the Clan Invasion. So when they invade you'll have an advantage of recognizing the new Clan mechs if you've played the other two games.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

Cool, thanks for the clarification on that.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

alright, unless I'm forgetting something then I'm pretty sure that VOOT will be pretty much my sole choice for mechs. Unless anyone can think of anything else playable on Xbox One? Not that I'm complaining, I'm always happy to have a reason to play a Sega game I haven't gotten around to. I just like knowing what my options are.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

noiseredux wrote:alright, unless I'm forgetting something then I'm pretty sure that VOOT will be pretty much my sole choice for mechs. Unless anyone can think of anything else playable on Xbox One? Not that I'm complaining, I'm always happy to have a reason to play a Sega game I haven't gotten around to. I just like knowing what my options are.

Is Assault Suit Leynos on Xbox One?
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

nah, PS4.
ESauced
64-bit

Post by ESauced »

Sweet. I’m going to play some Teleroboxer next month. I’ve only ever beaten the first opponent in that game. I clearly need tips. I’ll save further discussion on it for next month though.

I might just do that and ranger x, since those are pretty easy for me to play given they’re both standalone systems (since I have a Nomad) and I still might not have a tv hooked up next month. If I do end up getting the TV set up I’ll see f I can get a copy of Virtual on.