March's Together Retro Theme: Your 2 votes VS 5 bad ideas!

Join in on our classic gaming club!

See thread below for poll choice descriptions.

Poll ended at Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:08 am

All the Rest of Dragon Quest
11%
Classic '90s RTS
22%
Eighties' Ladies' Night
28%
Koei Klassics
11%
Premillennial Mech Madness
28%

Total votes: 72

Ack

Re: March's Together Retro Theme: Your 2 votes VS 5 bad idea

Post by Ack »

BogusMeatFactory wrote:AWW MAN! I was so looking forward to playing Jill of the Jungle!

... I voted for mechs and rts considering How many rts games I own would fit that I want to play!

Ha, I voted for RTS and Koei, because I haven't been into RTS in a long time, and Koei strategy games have always been there, but I have so rarely delved into them. Strategy games in general are a lot like WRPGs, something that seems so daunting from an outsider perspective, but quite enjoyable once you get into them.

That said, mech games still give access to much of the same territory, so no big loss there.
crazythink4
8-bit

Post by crazythink4 »

Exhuminator wrote:Only trying to encourage participation within specifically designed frameworks.

And clearly you enjoy coming down like a sack of hammers on anyone who doesn’t conform perfectly.

Allusion time! Compare the two following superhero costume parties:

Party 1 Host: Hey, welcome to the party Superman! Hmm, Lois Lane isn’t really a superhero, but come on in! Albert Einstein is a historical figure, but sure, why not? And you aren’t dressed at all, but anyway, we have enough fun and drinks for all!

Party Host 2: Your Aquaman costume is non-canonical after it was retconned back in the early 2000s. And he never wore sneakers. Don’t come back until you’re dressed like a REAL superhero.

(Quibbles about the specific details about superheroes in the example above are missing the point.)

Party Host 2 seems to be forgetting that the point of the party is to socialize in a common interest and have fun. They rage at Party 1 because it’s not a “real” superhero party and if there are no rules then what’s the point, failing to realize that the party is the point.

We’re opening manuals to look and see if a mech is piloted, completely missing that it’s a sprite or model on a tv screen and a detail like that is largely irrelevant. Does Evangelion count, since they’re not real robots?!?

Anyway, I’ve said my piece. I know which parties I’ll attend. I hope yours is everything you hope it’ll be.
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

Post by BogusMeatFactory »

Ack wrote:
BogusMeatFactory wrote:AWW MAN! I was so looking forward to playing Jill of the Jungle!

... I voted for mechs and rts considering How many rts games I own would fit that I want to play!

Ha, I voted for RTS and Koei, because I haven't been into RTS in a long time, and Koei strategy games have always been there, but I have so rarely delved into them. Strategy games in general are a lot like WRPGs, something that seems so daunting from an outsider perspective, but quite enjoyable once you get into them.

That said, mech games still give access to much of the same territory, so no big loss there.

Yeah, I feel like my votes definitely stem from a western game standpoint. If mechs win, I'm doing the mechwarrior games, or mech commander. RTS wins, I'm doing roller coaster tycoon or the great... PIZZA TYCOON!! Or any of those boring dull train games!

P.S. everyone let's all just cool our jets and play some vidya games!
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

crazythink4 wrote:I know which parties I’ll attend.

I hope in the upcoming months you'll find parties which conform to your expectations.

Ack wrote:and Koei strategy games have always been there, but I have so rarely delved into them. Strategy games in general are a lot like WRPGs, something that seems so daunting from an outsider perspective, but quite enjoyable once you get into them.

Very good way to describe the potential virtue of that choice. That's how I felt about it as well. For Koei to have made so many strategy games, surely there must have been a consistent demographic. So maybe said demographic was on to something? Something fun maybe? :o Plus I very rarely (never really) see folks on forums talk about Koei games of the manner we're describing. Gotta feel a little bad for the black sheep.
Last edited by Exhuminator on Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
nullPointer
128-bit

Post by nullPointer »

BogusMeatFactory wrote:let's all just cool our jets and play some vidya games!

I'm going to get this exact quote tattooed on my knuckles. Wait a tick ... I'm going to need a lot more fingers ... or maybe like some carriage returns or something. On second thought, maybe a back piece would work better. :mrgreen:

(Sorry ... </thread_derailment> ... Just trying to bring some levity. A'int gonna let nobody spoil my pre-2000 mecha high!)
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

Exhuminator wrote:
crazythink4 wrote:I know which parties I’ll attend.

I hope in the upcoming months you'll find parties which conform to your expectations.

This is now going to be my standard response to people who RSVP "no" to my parties.
Ack

Post by Ack »

Exhuminator wrote:
Ack wrote:and Koei strategy games have always been there, but I have so rarely delved into them. Strategy games in general are a lot like WRPGs, something that seems so daunting from an outsider perspective, but quite enjoyable once you get into them.

Very good way to describe the potential virtue of that choice. That's how I felt about it as well. For Koei to have made so many strategy games, surely there must have been a consistent demographic. So maybe said demographic was on to something? Something fun maybe? :o Plus I very rarely (never really) see folks on forums talk about Koei games of the manner we're describing. Gotta feel a little bad for the black sheep.

I very rarely see folks talk about strategy video games in general. I've played my fair share over the years, but finding folks to talk to about them just doesn't happen. It's like my current exploration of WRPGs. I figure at some point in the future I'll start doing it with strategy titles too. After all, there are so many, with some long running series. Koei must have done something right with the likes of Gemfire, Liberty or Death, Genghis Khan II, etc.

Warhammer 40,000: Rites of War is excellent, and all of you are missing out.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

Ack wrote:
Exhuminator wrote:

I very rarely see folks talk about strategy video games in general. I've played my fair share over the years, but finding folks to talk to about them just doesn't happen. It's like my current exploration of WRPGs. I figure at some point in the future I'll start doing it with strategy titles too. After all, there are so many, with some long running series. Koei must have done something right with the likes of Gemfire, Liberty or Death, Genghis Khan II, etc.

Warhammer 40,000: Rites of War is excellent, and all of you are missing out.

I think the problem with RTS games for me is they're both more common and generally better played on PC, but I'm not a big fan of that in general. I enjoy the console ports though.

Turn based strategy is more at home on console, and tends to be great. I love me some TBS.

I have played a couple of PC strategy games. I had C&C Tiberian Sun and Pharoah back in the day. I remember playing Pharoah a decent amount.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

Ack wrote:I figure at some point in the future I'll start doing it with strategy titles too. After all, there are so many, with some long running series. Koei must have done something right with the likes of Gemfire, Liberty or Death, Genghis Khan II, etc.

As I get older, I find myself becoming intrigued by genres (or specific games) which I glossed over as a kid. I was simply too young for the stuff when it was new. Koei created a lot of games that fit this description. Granted they might not all be jams, but one doesn't know until one tries.

alienjesus wrote:I think the problem with RTS games for me is they're both more common and generally better played on PC, but I'm not a big fan of that in general. I enjoy the console ports though.

If we're talking about classically styled (that is to say western style) RTS, then yes PC is where it's at. But I want to be clear, when I say Classic '90s RTS, that means real time strategy games of any sort, which debuted between 1990-1999. That means console / handheld stuff like Herzog Zwei, Dragon Force, Rampart (GB/GBC), Warhammer: Dark Omen, Front Mission: Alternative, Syndicate Wars, Metal Marines, King Arthur's World, Two Tribes: Populous II, Populous (MS), First Queen (SFC), Mega-Lo-Mania (SNES), and so many more are viable. The "obvious choices" under the Classic '90s RTS entries was just stuff I was personally interested in.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

Post by BogusMeatFactory »

Exhuminator wrote:
Ack wrote:I figure at some point in the future I'll start doing it with strategy titles too. After all, there are so many, with some long running series. Koei must have done something right with the likes of Gemfire, Liberty or Death, Genghis Khan II, etc.

As I get older, I find myself becoming intrigued by genres (or specific games) which I glossed over as a kid. I was simply too young for the stuff when it was new. Koei created a lot of games that fit this description. Granted they might not all be jams, but one doesn't know until one tries.

alienjesus wrote:I think the problem with RTS games for me is they're both more common and generally better played on PC, but I'm not a big fan of that in general. I enjoy the console ports though.

If we're talking about classically styled (that is to say western style) RTS, then yes PC is where it's at. But I want to be clear, when I say Classic '90s RTS, that means real time strategy games of any sort, which debuted between 1990-1999. That means console / handheld stuff like Herzog Zwei, Dragon Force, Rampart (GB/GBC), Warhammer: Dark Omen, Front Mission: Alternative, Syndicate Wars, Metal Marines, King Arthur's World, Two Tribes: Populous II, Populous (MS), First Queen (SFC), Mega-Lo-Mania (SNES), and so many more are viable. The "obvious choices" under the Classic '90s RTS entries was just stuff I was personally interested in.

Ohhhhhhhh dragon force..... soooooooo tasty!!!! Y'all gotta play that!!!
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.