Together Retro: Final Fantasy Spin-Offs

Join in on our classic gaming club!
nullPointer
128-bit

Re: Together Retro: Final Fantasy Spin-Offs

Post by nullPointer »

Ack wrote:A suggestion if you don't want to buddy bash and still want job points: use the Squire's accumulate skill. Go onto a map, beat your opponents down to one person, beat them into submission so they're retreating or use knight abilities to break their speed and gear, and have your low level characters or anyone you want gaining some exp to use accumulate over and over again. Ramza's Yell ability as a squire is also useful, because you can speed up your accumulators.

Now if you want job points without overdoing levels, there is a rare trap on specific levels that will lower a character's level by 1. You do the same thing I have mentioned, but keep folks stepping on the trap to keep their levels down.

Awesome, thank you Ack! I'll keep an eye out for that. Brilliant!
Because yeah I always picture the whole buddy bashing thing going down a bit like this (NSFW - for violence & language). :lol: I'm feelin' a little woozy here!
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

I'm now on Chapter 5 of Type-0. I've completely given up on even attempting to follow or care about the story at all. However I'm 10 hrs in and still having a blast experimenting with the various fourteen characters. Given that you are using teams of three, building different configurations and figuring out how to level each up and tweak their skills is a lot of fun.

Here's some screenshots!

Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

noiseredux wrote:However I'm 10 hrs in and still having a blast experimenting with the various fourteen characters.

I'm glad to hear you are still enjoying this game. I will be very interested in your final takeaway after you have beaten it.

-

Unfortunately I have not been able to play Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings at all in the past five days or so. Between being sick and real life being very demanding, it just didn't happen. Hopefully tonight I'll be able to sink some time in though. I miss my little RTS dudes.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

Exhuminator wrote:I'm glad to hear you are still enjoying this game.

I really am. Sometimes to my own surprise haha. It's like... it just tries so HARD that even when it totally fucks up there's some kind of charm to it.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

noiseredux wrote: It's like... it just tries so HARD that even when it totally fucks up there's some kind of charm to it.

Yup. And even in those shitty moments the bangin' soundtrack pushes you through!
marurun

Post by marurun »

Trying to find the desire to go back to Saga 2. I really wish I didn't have a monster in my party. They seem all cool until you actually try to use them for anything.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

dsheinem wrote:
noiseredux wrote: It's like... it just tries so HARD that even when it totally fucks up there's some kind of charm to it.

Yup. And even in those shitty moments the bangin' soundtrack pushes you through!

for real.

Top 3 Best things about Type-0:

1. Music
2. Combat
3. Nothing Makes Sense
emwearz
Next-Gen

Post by emwearz »

I got Type0 when it came out on PS4 and struggled right from the start with it, the amount of characters (meaning I struggled to care about the grind for a team for 4 or 5 because of the high amount and the fear at some point they would split the team up, etc) and the lack of story (this was the big one, most RPG's I push on to see what will happen next, in 0 I literally had no idea what was going on and the bit I did, I just didn't care).

I will go back to it at some point and start it over.

While not a spin-off I am about 25 hours into FFXII on Ps4, loving it to bits and the new speed up system they implemented makes grinding / the long slow walking sections a breeze.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

emwearz wrote:the new speed up system they implemented makes grinding / the long slow walking sections a breeze.

I am very happy to read you are enjoying FFXII. I personally adore it.

I am not being snooty here, but for the sake of historical posterity, let me just mention that the speed up system isn't new. I mean, it's not exclusive to the modern remaster. The speedup system was first implemented in this 2007 version of FFXII:

Said PS2 version of FFXII wasn't officially released in English though.* So I am glad when SQEX did the remaster that the speed up system was included.

*A full English fan translation exists though.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
emwearz
Next-Gen

Post by emwearz »

Yeah, I was aware that this was a port/remaster of the International Zodiac Job System, I was under the impression they overhauled the speed up system though?

I might be wrong, but I think Zodiac Job System (ps2) you hold L1 to make the game run at 2X speed, the ps4 version, you tap L1 to trigger high speed mode which can be set in the menu at 2X or 4X. You can also press left and right on the dpad while holding L1 to switch between speeds on the fly.