Together Retro: Final Fantasy Spin-Offs

Join in on our classic gaming club!
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Re: Together Retro: Final Fantasy Spin-Offs

Post by Exhuminator »

emwearz wrote:I might be wrong, but I think Zodiac Job System (ps2) you hold L1 to make the game run at 2X speed, the ps4 version, you tap L1 to trigger high speed mode which can be set in the menu at 2X or 4X. You can also press left and right on the dpad while holding L1 to switch between speeds on the fly.

Yes the speed up system was enhanced for the remaster. The way you mentioned it earlier, I thought you were under the impression the speed up system didn't exist until the remaster is all. I hope you continue to enjoy FFXII. I am so glad SQEX brought the game back. FFXII deserves a second chance. It was ahead of its time.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
marurun

Post by marurun »

They added a battle animation skip to the DS Saga 2 port, too. Makes it easier to grind.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Sload Soap
Next-Gen

Post by Sload Soap »

Made a start to Crisis Core. Not very far in, about 2 hours so can't make too much of call except to say it's very okay so far. Beat up a couple of goons in Wutai, got involved with a mystery, done a side mission or two. I even got to wander around Sector 8 for a bit even though it's clear I was there before I was really supposed to as no one was around, like being at the carnival before they open the gates.

What has surprised me so far is the lack of overt fanservice. Obviously there's been Solider and Shinra stuff and a quick appearance from Sephiroth but nothing too heavy handed. I expect that to change but so far I appreciate the restraint.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

Finished Mission 7 in Type-0 which was one of the RTS missions. It took me two tries to get it right. I'm not crazy about those RTS missions. They're a bit too simplified functionally, and you move WAY too slow on the overworld map. It's not bad, just a tad tedious. I can echo what Exhum said about the game not respecting your time. In fact, I'd say that this game puts its muddy shoes up on your time while exclaiming "fuck your time." The wasted minutes required to go from Room A to B back to A to start every mission; the speed at which you move on the overworld and the rate at which random battles occur there. The cutscenes which are at least skippable. I'm a bit of a broken record here but I actually really really like this game but I could totally see why people would not.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

noiseredux wrote:I'm a bit of a broken record here but I actually really really like this game but I could totally see why people would not.

I'm wondering if it'd played the remaster, instead of the PSP original, if I'd feel the same was as you. I have to imagine the stat rebalancing of all the number crunching under the hood had to be a boon.

-

I put two more hours into FFXII:RW last night. I'm now halfway through chapter 5. I am still very much enjoying the experience, to my surprise if I'm being honest.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

I didn't get to play much Final Fantasy Mystic Quest last night - just made it through that ice cave dungeon - but I'm really enjoying the game so far.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

marurun

Post by marurun »

One of the things I really like about FF Legends 1 and 2 is the soundtrack. The remastered one in Saga 2 on DS is great, but so is the original GBA score. Uematsu was one major contributor to the soundtracks in question. In fact, I kind of like the original GB score better than the DS remake. I think a lot of folks, myself included, tend to underrate the GB audio chip. In many ways it is more advanced and more flexible than the audio capabilities of the NES, even though the NES had a couple key advantages that were exploited heavily in its best soundtracks.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

marurun wrote:I think a lot of folks, myself included, tend to underrate the GB audio chip.

I strongly agree with you. One aspect folks tend to forget, is the GB actually has stereo support (unlike the NES). The better GB composers took advantage of this, and realizing most players used headphones, were very creative with the stereo output. Also the sound system supports one audio input from the cartridge itself, some developers did interesting things with that.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
marurun

Post by marurun »

The Game Boy has more steps on the volume envelope than the NES, and one of its channels is basically a wavetable synth channel, much like the PC Engine and Virtual Boy used for all their channels (though lower quality than both). The disadvantage is that it doesn't have that trippy triangle channel like the NES has (though it can be sort of recreated, at least in part, in the wavetable channel) or the dedicated DPCM channel that Konami loved so much and Capcom never touched once. The Gameboy pairs that wavetable channel with 2 pulse waves (like the NES) and a noise channel. So technically one fewer sound channel than the NES, but the wavetable channel can provide a rough approximation of any of the basic waveforms and also be used to playback simple digital samples. Like the Genesis, it has stereo, but it doesn't have stereo panning. You can't independently set left and right channel volume. You set the volume and then tell the audio if it is playing out of the left, right, or both channels and that's it. The PC Engine was the first home console to do stereo panning.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Steam Profile
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

I finished up Final Fantasy Mystic Quest (SNES) this morning and really enjoyed the shit out of that little doofy game. It has a charm all its own, especially if it can be read as a sort of parody/critique of the mainline FF games. There's a lot more of FFMQ's type of ideas in more recent FF games than there is ideas from the other SNES outings, and so I think the game's legacy will grow in time.