Together Retro: Final Fantasy Spin-Offs

Join in on our classic gaming club!
Sarge
Next-Gen

Re: Together Retro: Final Fantasy Spin-Offs

Post by Sarge »

Don't let folks tell you that FFMQ is easy. It is, but only because you can immediately retry a battle if you die. Status effects or critical hits can make a battle go south fast! Confusion is deadly because of how hard your own guys hit, and I've had three or four petrify wipes already.

Anyway, about six hours in, three crystals down.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

Played some more Type-0 yesterday, and I think I officially like this game despite its oddities. I had a mission that was like a total RTS battle thing. It's as if the developers weren't even sure what kind of game they were making here so tried to cram every idea they came up with into one game. So weird, but that makes me interested in seeing what comes next.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

Oof! My battery in Final Fantasy Adventure bit the dust. Lost about six hours progress, don't have the stamina to put that back in right now. Thankfully I have beaten the game before, so I'm not totally crushed.

Think I'll jump into Mystic Quest with y'all. I won't shut up about it so I may as well play it.

The hazards of playing retro games......
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

I am surprised at how many people are playing Mystic Quest. Is this a replay for most of you? I would have thought most folks would have beaten MQ by now. (I remember beating it back in 1992, over a single weekend rental.) I'm not chiding anyone, just genuinely surprised how many folks are playing MQ for what appears to be the first time.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:Oof! My battery in Final Fantasy Adventure bit the dust. Lost about six hours progress, don't have the stamina to put that back in right now. Thankfully I have beaten the game before, so I'm not totally crushed.

Think I'll jump into Mystic Quest with y'all. I won't shut up about it so I may as well play it.

The hazards of playing retro games......

That happened to me with Legend this morning except I was halfway through... X_x Oh well; I remember where to go for most of that first half, so it's just mindless grinding. Using the Retron 5 instead of the Gamecube's Game Boy player this time, though!
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

I probably got it in 1995 or so. Beaten it many times. I just enjoy it.

I'd bet most people here haven't beat I, IV, and VI, let alone Mystic Quest.

Also, Mystic Quest seems to be the most "obvious" pick for this challenge. Undeniably retro, not particularly long, low difficulty, easy to pick up and play. FF Tactics and so on are way more daunting.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:FF Tactics and so on are way more daunting.

And way more rewarding! :P
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
SpaceBooger

Post by SpaceBooger »

Mystic Quest was my 2nd RPG after beating Lunar on the Sega CD. I feel in love with RPGs after playing Lunar and purchased a SNES. After buying the console the only FF game I could find/afford was Mystic Quest. I beat it back then and relating it now. The save system makes it perfect for me to play at this point in my life with 5 kids.

Now you guys have me worried about the batteries in Adventure and MQ. I think I'm going to pop them both in the retron5 to copy the saves over since I'm playing them on the original hardware...just in case.
BLOG | BST
Systems Owned: NES, Game Boy (Original, Pocket, Color & Advance SP), DSi, 3DS, Genesis, Sega CD,
Nomad, SNES, Saturn, PS1, Dreamcast, XBox, PS2, Gamecube, Nintendo DS, Wii, PSP, PS3, WiiU & XBONE.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:I probably got it in 1995 or so. Beaten it many times. I just enjoy it.

I'd bet most people here haven't beat I, IV, and VI, let alone Mystic Quest.

Also, Mystic Quest seems to be the most "obvious" pick for this challenge. Undeniably retro, not particularly long, low difficulty, easy to pick up and play. FF Tactics and so on are way more daunting.

Legends will be the fourth Final Fantasy game I've cleared - I've finished I, III, and VII although I played III on DS and wasn't particularly satisfied with it (I plan to replay on Famicom soonish).
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

That's Legend, Elkin. With no "s."

I say this because Final Fantasy Legends is now a thing. :lol:
http://www.square-enix.co.jp/smart/ffdl/