24%
Mizuguchi's Puzzles & Music
15%

Total votes : 68
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Re: February's Together Retro Themes: Poll Closed - FF Spin-

by noiseredux Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:06 pm

Omerta wrote:Never been much of a FF guy so for some reason I thought the first one was an older regular DS game. :?

I'll play by the spirit of the rules and look for something else. Shame on noise and his "best friend" parenting techniques. He'd probably let all of the kids stay up late and eat ice cream on a school night.

hey big guy. What kind of games are you in the mood for, champ? There's so many FF spinoffs that touch upon so many different genres, I'm sure we can find you something to play, sport.
Sarge
Next-Gen

by Sarge Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:08 pm

Remaster or PS2 version? Either way, I really enjoyed it all those years ago. Kingdom Hearts, when the series is not recycling content (and boy, did they like to recycle content), is top-tier stuff.

I think overall, the first game has a bit more platforming, even if it is a bit fiddly. The second game was my favorite, but didn't have as much platforming involved. Smoother combat system, though. I skipped most of the spinoffs (even if I did try them), but I found Birth By Sleep to be really well done.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

by Xeogred Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:12 pm

I gave the PS3 remaster a shot a few years ago and man oh man. It had nothing to do with the hilarious convoluted story or Disney thing, I thought there was charm in that and some fun in seeing chibi Tidus or other characters. But the platforming and combat was painful. You have like one combo and enemies were sponges. Should be right up my alley as I love most ARPG's, but I tapped out after a few hours.

I can see AJ digging it though.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

by Exhuminator Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:14 pm

For those of you interested in playing FF spin-offs that are actually retro (10+ years old):

1990 - The Final Fantasy Legend (GB)
1991 - Final Fantasy Adventure (GB)
1991 - Final Fantasy Legend II (GB)
1993 - Final Fantasy Legend III (GB)
1993 - Final Fantasy Mystic Quest (SNES)
1997 - Final Fantasy Tactics (PS1, PSP, iOS, Android)
1997 - Chocobo's Mysterious Dungeon (PS1)
1999 - Chocobo's Dungeon 2 (PS1)
1999 - Chocobo Racing (PS1)
2002 - Kingdom Hearts (PS2, PS3, etc.)
2002 - Chocobo Land: A Game of Dice (GBA)
2002 - Final Fantasy: Unlimited with U (Mobile)
2003 - Final Fantasy: Unlimited on PC - Meikyū ~ Kuroki Yume no Kioku ~ (Windows)
2003 - Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles (Game Cube)
2003 - Final Fantasy Tactics Advance (GBA)
2003 - Final Fantasy X-2 (PS2 / PS3 / PS4 / Windows)
2004 - Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories (GBA, PS3, etc.)
2004 - Before Crisis: Final Fantasy VII (Mobile)
2005 - Kingdom Hearts II (PS2, PS3, etc.)
2005 - Final Fantasy VII Snowboarding (Mobile)
2006 - Dirge of Cerberus: Final Fantasy VII (PS2, Mobile)
2006 - Final Fantasy Fables: Chocobo Tales (DS)
2007 - Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: Ring of Fates (DS)
2007 - Final Fantasy Tactics A2: Grimoire of the Rift (DS)
2007 - Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII (PSP)
2007 - Final Fantasy Fables: Chocobo's Dungeon (Wii)
2007 - Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings (DS)
2008 - Kingdom Hearts Coded (DS)
2008 - Kingdom Hearts Mobile (Mobile)
2008 - Dissidia Final Fantasy (PSP)
2008 - Crystal Guardians (Mobile)
2008 - Crystal Defenders (iOS, WiiWare, XLA, PSN)
2008 - Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: My Life as a King (WiiWare)
2008 - Final Fantasy IV: The After Years (Mobile, Wii, PSP, iOS, Android, Windows)
2008 - Cid and Chocobo's Mysterious Dungeon: the Labyrinth of Forgotten Time DS+ (DS)
2008 - Chocobo and the Magic Picture Book: The Witch, the Girl, and the Five Heroes (DS)

There are a lot more Chocobo games but enough of that. I'm surely missing some obscure things, but above's what I know of. With that many options, I hope everyone can find at least one entry they are interested in.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

by BoneSnapDeez Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:16 pm

nullPointer wrote:1. Final Fantasy Mystic Quest [SNES]
I've always sort of avoided this one based on reputation, but within the last ten years or so the voices of those who defend it have grown in prominence. My curiosity is high.

I've already said it -- probably in this here thread -- but Mystic Quest is awesome.

The negative reputation is undeserved. It seems to me that swaths of cornball negative reviews can snowball into something of a meme and then suddenly a game like Mystic Quest ends up being one that "everyone" hates, and when pressed as to why the same tired clichés are repeated. Somewhat related, Final Fantasy II, though deeply flawed, is far from the unplayable dreck some make it out to be.

Now, as for next month, I'll be playing The Final Fantasy Legend. I have already played all(?) the spin-offs I'd consider "retro" but it's been awhile since I've experienced a Saga game.
pierrot
Next-Gen

by pierrot Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:14 pm

Xeogred wrote:I gave the PS3 remaster a shot a few years ago and man oh man. It had nothing to do with the hilarious convoluted story or Disney thing, I thought there was charm in that and some fun in seeing chibi Tidus or other characters. But the platforming and combat was painful. You have like one combo and enemies were sponges. Should be right up my alley as I love most ARPG's, but I tapped out after a few hours.

I can see AJ digging it though.

I really liked Kingdom Hearts when it was new, but replaying it via Final Mix, years ago, was a real chore. It soured my opinion of the series pretty significantly. So, I can understand your problems with it. It's some painful drudgery most of the time. I think I played 358/2 days around the same time, too, which definitely wouldn't have helped. (That game is really garbage. I honestly can't believe I ever actually beat that steaming pile.)

The FF theme doesn't really excite me. I've already beaten the hell out of Crystal Chronicles on the Gamecube, which is probably the best spin-off, and while I could actually beat KH Re: Chain of Memories, Mystic Quest, the Saga trilogy, or FFT, I still feel a bit ambivalent about playing them. FFT has been standing in the way of Vagrant Story in my effort to play through all of Masuno's games, but I've tried to get into FFT a number of times in the past, and have bad memories of renting it back in the day. I'm probably liable to sit it out, and hope that everyone decides to play Crystal Chronicles.
ESauced
64-bit

by ESauced Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:59 pm

I still love the original Kingdom Hearts. Yeah the platforming is pretty wonky and the combat is simple but exploring those awesome Disney levels? You can’t put a price on that if you ask me. The second one probably is better but the linear nature of the levels made them feel less magical to me. What can I say? I grew up on Disney.
laurenhiya21
Next-Gen

by laurenhiya21 Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:02 pm

Woo, exciting! :D I have a good number of games that I want to play for this, so I might have some trouble picking haha.

The two games that I definitely want to play are:
Final Fantasy Fables: Chocobo's Dungeon (Wii)
Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: My Life As a King (WiiWare)

It I have time/energy, I might also play:
Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles (GC)
Chocobo Racing (PS1)
Dragon Quest & Final Fantasy in Itadaki Street Portable (PSP)
Any of the Tactics games (assuming that they are easy enough for a strategy RPG noob?)

Obviously I'm not going to play all of these haha (unless I don't like any of them I guess). There's just too many that I want to play! I guess it helps that I haven't played most of these (just Kingdom Hearts and a tiny bit of Tactics A2 a billion years ago), so it leaves me with a lot to choose from.
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

by BogusMeatFactory Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:45 pm

BoneSnapDeez wrote:
nullPointer wrote:1. Final Fantasy Mystic Quest [SNES]
I've always sort of avoided this one based on reputation, but within the last ten years or so the voices of those who defend it have grown in prominence. My curiosity is high.

I've already said it -- probably in this here thread -- but Mystic Quest is awesome.

The negative reputation is undeserved. It seems to me that swaths of cornball negative reviews can snowball into something of a meme and then suddenly a game like Mystic Quest ends up being one that "everyone" hates, and when pressed as to why the same tired clichés are repeated. Somewhat related, Final Fantasy II, though deeply flawed, is far from the unplayable dreck some make it out to be.

Now, as for next month, I'll be playing The Final Fantasy Legend. I have already played all(?) the spin-offs I'd consider "retro" but it's been awhile since I've experienced a Saga game.

Being a fan of shenmue, I totally can relate to that snowball effect of hate.
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

by Exhuminator Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:32 pm

laurenhiya21 wrote:I have a good number of games that I want to play for this, so I might have some trouble picking haha.

The two games that I definitely want to play are:
Final Fantasy Fables: Chocobo's Dungeon (Wii)
Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: My Life As a King (WiiWare)

I'm looking forward to being your Chocobo Dungeon buddy next month. 8)

There's quite a few FF spin-offs I am interested in as well. I'm trying not to get too enthusiastic though, I don't want to set crazy goals for myself and get burnt out. I'll realistically attempt to beat at least three titles though. It will be interesting seeing what everyone picks.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Return to Together Retro