32%
3D Zelda Clones
24%
Mizuguchi's Puzzles & Music
15%

Total votes: 68

Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Re: February's Together Retro Themes: Vote Now!

Post by Exhuminator »

alienjesus wrote:All the effort it takes to make an interesting set up of customised characters is undone by the fact that you're better off just using the myriad of named characters the game throws at you who have better stats and abilities than everyone else as soon as you get them.

I really enjoyed (and have beaten) FF Tactics, but I admit the above is true. I can understand people wanting to break the game with crazy characters, but it's hardly necessary.

-

Yay Final Fantasy spin-offs wins! :o

The two related games I plan to play in February for this TR are both from 2007:

Final Fantasy Fables: Chocobo's Dungeon (Wii)
Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings (DS)
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Re: February's Together Retro Themes: Poll Closed - FF Spin-

Post by alienjesus »

Ack wrote:Dancers aren't hard to get. Now Bards, they take forever.

I've played the PSP port, and bards and dancers took a similar amount of effort in that one. Maybe the PS1 version is different?
Ack

Post by Ack »

I've just always found the physical classes have a much easier time gaining job points through regular play than most spellcasters, especially priests, unless I make it a point to get into buddy bashing...which I admittedly do to grind sometimes.
MrPopo

Re: February's Together Retro Themes: Vote Now!

Post by MrPopo »

alienjesus wrote:I really don't much like the original FFTactics. All the effort it takes to make an interesting set up of customised characters is undone by the fact that you're better off just using the myriad of named characters the game throws at you who have better stats and abilities than everyone else as soon as you get them.

That's the advantage of Solo Ramza; he masters one job per map, so you very quickly have your Calculator with his Holy and Flare spam.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
marurun

Post by marurun »

I am already playing a spinoff! And I won't be done with it by the time February arrives, so I'll start posting on it at that time.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
nullPointer
128-bit

Post by nullPointer »

Sarge wrote:Final Fantasy: Mystic Quest, here I come. :)

Same here! Although I've spent a considerable amount of time with the main titles, I've only dabbled in the spinoffs. Here's my shortlist (though due to my fickle nature this is certainly subject to change):

1. Final Fantasy Mystic Quest [SNES]
I've always sort of avoided this one based on reputation, but within the last ten years or so the voices of those who defend it have grown in prominence. My curiosity is high.

2. The Final Fantasy Legend [GB]
This one on the other hand has quite a good reputation, plus it's not a huge investment in time. And if that wasn't enough I've also never played any titles in the SaGa series which makes this even more attractive. It's a two-fer!

3. Dirge of Cerberus: Final Fantasy VII [PS2]
Outside of the truly bizarre stuff like Chocobo Racing, this has to be be one of the more unorthodox FF titles. Even if it completely sucks, I feel compelled to see what a 3rd-person-action-shooter-RPG looks like when shown through the lens of Final Fantasy.

4. Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles [NGC]
I probably won't make it this far, but here's another one I've always been curious about.

I have to say that while I was also looking forward to Wonder Boy, Final Fantasy spin-offs should make for an interesting month. (And for that matter the Adventure Island stuff might have felt a bit same-y after a month of platformers)
Omerta
Next-Gen

Post by Omerta »

Any positive recommendations for either of the Theatrhythms? If so, I might have to track one down.
"Farewell, good hunter.
May you find your worth
in the waking world."
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

Omerta wrote:Any positive recommendations for either of the Theatrhythms? If so, I might have to track one down.

Positive: All Theatrhythm games received glowing reviews across the board.

Negative: The first Theatrhythm is only six years old.

Neutral: Noise won't care.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

Ha, if that's the case, maybe I should slip Crystal Bearers in there. :)