Join in on our classic gaming club!
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Re: Together Retro 2018

by Exhuminator Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:04 pm

dsheinem wrote:
Exhuminator wrote:
dsheinem wrote:I think it is what we discussed in the thread that led us to this format, where all the suggestions made (including from racket) were that the number of choices in the polls be more more in the 3-5 range.

There's 10 pages in there. Can you cite the exact part where we all discussed that?

Here, for example: viewtopic.php?p=1119483#p1119483

here, too: viewtopic.php?p=1118852#p1118852

The way it reads to me, in both citations, each party was speaking contextually hypothetical, not dictating any sort of mandate.

But let's look at what was said:

Racket suggested "volunteers could offer 2 to 3 suggestions", and Noise asked "Should we just have 3-5 Themes be nominated". I don't see beyond that where all of us communally agreed to either of those specific voting ranges. That part was left up in the air from what I'm seeing.

Obviously we need to nail this down now. I would like to create a poll about creating TR polls. Let's let the TR community decide the poll submission limit and number of vote limits. What do you all say to that? I will be glad to use whatever format is voted as the most popular by said poll. I think we should do this now, as it's only January, and this new form of TR has just begun.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

by dsheinem Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:06 pm

Exhuminator wrote:I would like to create a poll about creating TR polls. Let's let the TR community decide the poll submission limit and number of vote limits. What do you all say to that?

How many options should there be in that poll? How many times can we vote? Maybe we should do a poll on each of those questions, first.
pierrot
Next-Gen

by pierrot Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:11 pm

Exhuminator wrote:
pierrot wrote:I share aj's concern, if people are still only given two "votes."

I really don't understand this. If you have ten things to vote for, you pick the one you want the most, and vote. If what you didn't want doesn't get picked, that's just the way it goes. It's inevitable no matter how many votes you can cast, that you still might not get the topic you wanted most. I'm not into wishy-washy indecisiveness, sorry.

I think it's bullish to try and police the voting thread creation policy of any given month's TR curator. Sure you might not agree with their take on the concept, but it's not your month. You can do what you like with your own month. That's fair IMO.

I understand the frustration in feeling like others are making demands of your month. I did not want to pile on, but I do think it would potentially be a problem to vote in this way, and I'll give some reasons why. My goal really isn't to assert my will upon you. Rather, I'm hopeful that you might take this into consideration while crafting your selection thread.

So, if we have ten options, and assume everyone has only one choice, as in first past the post voting, the winner takes all. In this scenario, as few as 10.00...1% of the people voting could determine a winner, although it would be unlikely. Giving everyone the ability to choose two of the ten options alleviates the problem, but doesn't necessarily eliminate it. In that case, say there are 100 people voting, a total of 200 votes are cast, and in the worst case scenario, eight of the options received 20 votes, one option received 19 votes, and the last (winning) option received 21 votes. That's still the same approximate percentage of votes as the previous scenario, but this time they correspond to 21 of the 100 people, which means we've doubled the base level of consensus in the process.

Hopefully that illustrates my concern without appearing too lecture-y. I'm sorry if I've only served to put a damper on the process for you, Ex.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

by Exhuminator Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:17 pm

dsheinem wrote:How many options should there be in that poll? How many times can we vote?

These could be the options:

I want 2-4 choices in my monthly TR poll.
I want 2-6 choices in my monthly TR poll.
I want 2-8 choices in my monthly TR poll.
I want 2-10 choices in my monthly TR poll.
I want to be able to vote 1 time.
I want to be able to vote 2 times.
I want to be able to vote 3 times.

Voters would get two votes in the above poll, each vote meant for either section of the poll.

dsheinem wrote:Maybe we should do a poll on each of those questions, first.

Or maybe we shouldn't have had a problem with a curator wanting ten choices in their poll instead of four. But since that is an apparent issue, a vote on the matter makes more sense than arguing about it. After all, this year's TR was chosen in the spirit of democratic autonomy, wasn't it?
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

by dsheinem Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:35 pm

What if I really want 5 choices, but think 6 is too many? What if my answer for number of votes allowed is entirely dependent on the number of choices we decide upon?

I’m half trolling, of course. I just think 10 choices is well outside the parameters stated as the basis for the new format.

Perhaps I’ll list every 32x game as its own option in my poll :lol:
Sload Soap
Next-Gen

by Sload Soap Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:42 pm

It doesn't particularly bother me if I have 10 choices as I'll just go for the one I fancy most. What I would say is if you do have 10 options, Ex, can you not find a way to slim it down to the four or five you really prefer?
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

by Exhuminator Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:03 pm

Sload Soap wrote:What I would say is if you do have 10 options, Ex, can you not find a way to slim it down to the four or five you really prefer?

But I really prefer all 10 of my choices, honestly! :|

dsheinem wrote:I’m half trolling, of course. I just think 10 choices is well outside the parameters stated as the basis for the new format.

Alright, I'll compromise, since everyone who's responded about this matter has seemed to disagree with me...

In March, I will put up 5 choices and you all will get 2 votes.

Damn it, I guess retro games with panty shots are out then.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

by alienjesus Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:27 pm

My way of thinking is just that if our stated goal is to get the most people we can playing, we should be aiming to have a chosen victor that has a good proportion of the votes. The would indicate the most people want to play it.

If you have 10 options, the most popular choice could have 15% of the vote, but that 15% could be the only people who actually want to play that, so it's hard to know if it's a truly popular option or not.

I'm not trying to enforce anything, I just thought it would be worth mentioning that limiting the options might give a better indication of that.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

by Exhuminator Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:37 pm

alienjesus wrote:If you have 10 options, the most popular choice could have 15% of the vote, but that 15% could be the only people who actually want to play that, so it's hard to know if it's a truly popular option or not.

But if you have 10 options, it's more likely people can vote on something they actually want to play. Even if the chance of winning their choice is lower. Whereas with only 4 options, someone can end up having to choose the lesser of four evils. By that, I mean they might not find any of the four options exciting to vote for, so they resign themselves to vote for the least boring one (boring to their tastes). There's pluses and minuses to having more or less choices, no solution is perfect.

Anyway, don't worry about it! Even with only five options, I'm sure I can still suitably disappoint everyone with my choices. :wink:
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
SpaceBooger

by SpaceBooger Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:48 pm

I think a compromise would be something like keeping themes to a lower vote and specific games to a larger vote. If themes maybe only 4-5 if a trying to narrow a specific list of games to 3-4 then ten original options would be better.
BLOG | BST
Systems Owned: NES, Game Boy (Pocket & Advance SP) Genesis (SCD, 32X, Nomad), SNES,
Saturn, PS1, Dreamcast, XBox, PS2, Gamecube, Nintendo DS, Wii, PSP, PS3 and WiiU.
Return to Together Retro