Together Retro 2018

Join in on our classic gaming club!
Ack

Together Retro 2018

Post by Ack »

As you know, this year we're doing things a little different. Individual members are stepping up with polls and suggestions for larger groupings of games. This is to facilitate discussion and encourage play as we explore games from a more thematic approach instead of specific individual titles.

Each month, a poll will be opened by next month's corresponding member to decide the theme. Keep checking back to see what new polls are available and also to discuss and participate in the current themes!

Here is the list of participants for this year:

Jan: Alienjesus - Licensed 2D Platformers
Feb: noiseredux - Final Fantasy Spin-offs
Mar: Exhuminator - 80s Ladies Night
Apr: ElkinFencer10 - FMV Frenzy
May: BoneSnapDeez - First-Person Dungeon Crawlers
Jun: Sarge - Beat-'Em-Ups
Jul: Dsheinem - Nintendo Virtual Boy Exclusives
Aug: Laurenhiya21 - Animal Main Characters
Sep: Markies - Treasure
Oct: Ack - Golden Age of Survival Horror
Nov: CFFJR - Time Travelers Never Die
Dec: MrPopo - Shmuptacular
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Re: Together Retro 2018

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

I can see May's poll now -

1. Y's
2. Y's
3. Y's
4. Y's
5. Y's
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

Hahahaha nah.

I do have some (good?) ideas though.
Ack

Post by Ack »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:Hahahaha nah.

I do have some (good?) ideas though.

Same here. But as you all know, I believe in pain. Yours. October will be fun.
marurun

Post by marurun »

Nay, May will be:

YS
Y'S
Ys
Y's

Pick your punctuation (but not the game).
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

Using this setup for TR has me the most interested I've ever been in the event. I'm looking forward to seeing how every month plays out insofar as central topic, and what games members choose as a result.

I have some ideas already for March. And no, they don't all involve King's Field. Sorry!
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

Carrying the conversation from the Feb voting thread...

dsheinem wrote:I'd be worried that you might be stealing thunder from future TR curators about their own selection of choices

My choices are fairly idiosyncratic, I doubt this would be the case. And even if I only choose three things to vote from, the chance still exists some of those ideas might have had the same effect, regardless of quantity. And furthermore, a future TR month curator can always pick up good ideas that didn't get used in a prior month. No one's stopping them from doing so.

dsheinem wrote: I like the precedent aj and noise have set of having four options in their poll.

And some of us like having more variety to choose from. I do.

pierrot wrote:I share aj's concern, if people are still only given two "votes."

I really don't understand this. If you have ten things to vote for, you pick the one you want the most, and vote. If what you wanted doesn't get picked, that's just the way it goes. It's inevitable no matter how many votes you can cast, that you still might not get the topic you wanted most.

I think it's bullish to try and police the voting thread creation policy of any given month's TR curator. Sure you might not agree with their take on the concept, but it's not your month. You can do what you like with your own month. That's fair IMO.
Last edited by Exhuminator on Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

Exhuminator wrote:I think it's bullish to try and police the voting thread creation policy of any given month's TR curator. Sure you might not agree with their take on the concept, but it's not your month. You can do what you like with your own month. That's fair IMO.

I think it is what we discussed in the thread that led us to this format, where all the suggestions made (including from racket) were that the number of choices in the polls be more more in the 3-5 range.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

dsheinem wrote:I think it is what we discussed in the thread that led us to this format, where all the suggestions made (including from racket) were that the number of choices in the polls be more more in the 3-5 range.

There's 10 pages in there. Can you cite the exact part where we all discussed limiting the voting poll to five or less?
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

Exhuminator wrote:
dsheinem wrote:I think it is what we discussed in the thread that led us to this format, where all the suggestions made (including from racket) were that the number of choices in the polls be more more in the 3-5 range.

There's 10 pages in there. Can you cite the exact part where we all discussed that?

Here, for example: viewtopic.php?p=1119483#p1119483

here, too: viewtopic.php?p=1118852#p1118852