Join in on our classic gaming club!
Ack

Re: Together Retro: Licensed to Thrill (Licensed 2D Platform

by Ack Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:14 pm

I played TaleSpin as a kid and was awful at it, though I still had fun. It helps that I liked the show though.
I have a movie review website now: https://moviereviewsbyamook.com/
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

by Exhuminator Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:51 pm

marurun wrote:I'm sad to see your reviews leaving our thread here.

Nah, you guys aren't that lucky. I still plan to stink up RB's Games Beaten with some of my "reviews" in the future.

-

I beat another licensed platformer today:

This time it's Hyper Iria, a Super Famicom entry, based on the cult anime. It was fun! I'd give it an 8/10.
Full review here.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Ack

by Ack Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:55 pm

Man, I haven't watched Iria in ages.
I have a movie review website now: https://moviereviewsbyamook.com/
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

by BoneSnapDeez Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:49 pm

Derpin' around with some stuff in my collection but nothing's really clicking (I love Aladdin but I've already played it 1000 times).

My daughter loves The Great Circus Mystery but I'm finding it slow, floaty, and annoying. Hard pass.

Little Nemo: The Dream Master... "Collecting" stuff in giant ass levels. No. (btw throughout my entire childhood - and most of my adulthood - I thought this "Nemo" character was an original Capcom creation).

I snagged Transformers: Convoy no Nazo on eBay and hope to have it in another week or two. I've only heard bad things, so I'm "excited." I love delicious kusoge.

Wish I had some anime platformers. Realizing now all of my anime-licensed games are JRPGs.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

by Xeogred Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:08 pm

Knocked out Castle of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse.

Overall pretty cool. Graphically some seriously impressive and colorful stuff for sure, though the music doesn't standout much. It was a mixed bag here and there though. The bosses were either hilariously easy or weirdly annoying (toyland boss and the water dragon). 5-1 was a real pain with a huge difficulty spike and lots of trial and error traps, instant death goo, etc. I wish Mickey had a run button to potentially control him a little better and the game needed some camera panning looking down or up, since there were some level design traps (the level with the leaves has a health icon you can grab, then you can never get back up on any platform to further progress the level...)

Overall a fun simple romp for sure though.

Thinking The Magical Quest starring Mickey Mouse or Quackshot next. I thought Quackshot was on the NES too though. Am I mixing it up with something else?
racketboy
Site Admin

by racketboy Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:58 pm

I'm looking forward to hearing fresh takes on Quackshot. It's been on my shopping list, but need more feedback :)
Sarge
Next-Gen

by Sarge Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:00 pm

Don't think so, but there are a number of Donald games on the SMS/GG.
ESauced
64-bit

by ESauced Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:31 pm

Yeah I don’t think there’s a Donald Duck game on NES.

I’m really wishing I had my ac adapter for my nomad. I actually have all my games and my nomad because I didn’t want to risk them in storage while we’re staying at my mom’s but I didn’t take any cords with me. I bought quackshot online from GameStop last year (it actually came complete with box and insurrections surprisingly) but only played it a little. I have to admit I wasn’t too enamored with it. I think not having the benefit of nostalgia for me like the rest of the Disney games probably hurt it, but it also just felt really slow. I’d like to give it another shot.

And everyone swears by Castle of Illusion but for my money World of Illusion is the better game. It’s bigger, I prefer the music, and I think it just has more character. I could really go for playing it right now. For anyone that plays it just know that the Mickey and Donald games are slightly different. I think Donald’s is a little shorter. I think if you play co-op then you get the Mickey levels.

I also have a Pocahontas game on Genesis that I’ve barely played. I actually got stuck in it pretty early on (which I find is usually a sign of bad design for a Genesis platformer), but I’d like to give it another try..
Xeogred
Next-Gen

by Xeogred Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:08 am

You guys could be right. I might be mixing up all these Disney games up in my head from my childhood. I just swear, I played something at my grandparents on the NES, that was with Donald or someone picking up plunger icons or something. :lol:

World of Illusion looks rad. I'll have to check that out. Looks like it released two years after Castle, so it'll be cool to see how they compare.

I jumped into The Magical Quest SNES and it seems awesome, this one I also beat as a kid ages ago but it's been so long this will be like a new run. The only thing I'm not sure how I feel about is the weird grabbing mechanic. But I remember Mickey gets some cool powers later on or something. Always loved Capcom's SNES Aladdin too.

I remember playing the Animaniacs game on the SNES and thinking it was pretty weird. The Genesis version looks like a different game. Again, I can't recall exactly what and how I much I played though, I just remember renting one of these back in the day.

I checked out Tiny Toon Adventures again last year during an emulation binge, I grew up on these as well. The cool water levels and that SMB3 styled UI on the bottom is unforgettable. Pretty sure I could beat them as a kid, but I was a little shocked to see how tough they were going back. At least the first boss, you can only take a hit or two and that's it. It was really weird and I had no idea what the boss was even doing to me but I kept dying instantly somehow. Seems cool but kind of shocking there's no health.

Apparently you just have to keep dodging and avoiding her then you eventually win... cause that was obvious right? :roll:
https://youtu.be/jqnjXaRIq9Y?t=3m20s
SpaceBooger

by SpaceBooger Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:13 am

Darkwing Duck has been on my to-do list for a while so I will try that. Also on that list is the Genesis versions of Gargoyles, Tiny Toon Busters Hidden Treasure, and Animaniacs.
I beat Aladin (gen) a couple years ago and I hate to admit that Jaffar was crazy hard to beat. I struggled to beat him more than any boss in recent memory.

A couple Batman notes: Batman Returns for the NES is a great game that gets overshadowed by it's SNES version. The NES version looks great and plays just like Konami's TMNT games. The Batman Begins games, I played the oXBOX version recently, is the precursor to the Arkham series. It's not as good as the new games, but it has both action and some stealth. I enjoyed it and recommend it.
BLOG | BST
Systems Owned: NES, Game Boy (Pocket & Advance SP) Genesis (SCD, 32X, Nomad), SNES,
Saturn, PS1, Dreamcast, XBox, PS2, Gamecube, Nintendo DS, Wii, PSP, PS3 and WiiU.
Return to Together Retro