Together Retro: Licensed to Thrill (Licensed 2D Platformers)

Join in on our classic gaming club!
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Re: Together Retro: Licensed to Thrill (Licensed 2D Platform

Post by Exhuminator »

alienjesus wrote:Does anyone have some good ideas for portable titles to play, or perhaps 32 bit side-scrolling platformers?

Some PS1 licensed sidescrolling platformers:

Iron Man / X-O Manowar in Heavy Metal
Mortal Kombat Mythologies: Sub-Zero
(fighter / beat 'em up / platforming hybrid)
Peter Pan in Disney's Return to Neverland
Pink Panther: Pinkadelic Pursuit
Spot Goes to Hollywood
(isometric platforming tho)
The Lost World: Jurassic Park
The Smurfs
Tigger's Honey Hunt

As for portable titles, there's got to be tons of licensed platformers for GB, GBC, and GBA. I don't have time to dig right now. But I know there's some good Batman games on GB at least.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
laurenhiya21
Next-Gen

Post by laurenhiya21 »

I'm not the best at picking or playing platformers, but I tried a few and gave them my best shot (and failed miserably haha). All three of these are on the Super Famicom.

The first game I tried out was Shounen Ashibe: Goma-chan no Yuuenchi Daibouken, which is based off a Japan exclusive manga about a cute seal. I have no idea what the plot of the manga or game is, but the game is a bunch of levels where you try to collect 8 things in a level as the seal. Depending on the level, it can be apples, chicks, bunnies, or something else that's cute. The collectables are either just placed somewhere within the level, or they are hidden somewhere and can be found by using the seal's head bonk ability. However, there is a time limit and if the seal touches an enemy, he loses one of the things he needs to collect. You can pick it back up again, but if it goes too far off screen it will go back to it's hiding place. This is what eventually made me quit, since in the later levels (which get more confusing and large), it was super easy to lose the collectables. Then I would have to try ALL of the places where they could be hiding again, since I have no clue where they went back into hiding. Also the seal is just annoying to control (probably doesn't help that he's so darn huge!). I still managed to beat a good number of levels though. Not sure how far I got into the game, but I beat more levels in this one compared to the other two.

The second game I tried was Miracle Girls, which is also based off a manga, but this time with two cute girls. This one is a little more standard for a platformer, since you just need to get to the end of the level to clear it. Here you can't touch enemies, but you can throw candy at them to stun them, which also allows you to jump on them temporarily. Throwing candy is a little tricky though, since it goes in a little arc instead of just in a straight line. Something felt a little off with moving and jumping too, but I'm not really sure what. I did have to use a continue just to clear the first level though :| I might have tried to clear another level or two, but right after the first level is a required mini-game that is a pain for me to play. So I just stopped there.

The last game I recently tried was Super Back to the Future 2, which I'm sure you guys know what that's based on :P This one was the most difficult for me to play since the controls are super odd to me. You play as Marty (with his hoverboard) and all you can do is speed up and jump, but the jump also acts as your attack. But the attack doesn't count if Marty isn't spinning (I think??) so if you land on top of an enemy, you get damaged instead. Except only sometimes jumping on an enemy counts?? I was really confused with this, since I couldn't figure out what counted as a hit and what didn't. Something is odd with the jumping as well, but I couldn't really figure out why. I just kept on missing a lot of jumps that should have been easy to make. I eventually stopped when I hit the first boss and couldn't beat him after using 3 or 4 continues. I sort of know what I need to do to beat him, but I just couldn't figure out how I could pull it off :|

So yeah, those weren't very successful choices on my part. :lol: I might play some more later, depending on if I find any others that I might want to play, but for now I can say I tried at least :P
ESauced
64-bit

Post by ESauced »

noiseredux wrote:good luck on Mickey Mania. That game is f'ing hard. Mostly because the hit detection was so janky. I always played it on Sega CD, but I assume the Genesis version is quite similar.

Yeah I’ve on two occasions (years apart) decided to play through this to beat it and both times I gave up when I got game over in the last level. It has the potential to be an A+ game but the control problems and hit detection drag it down to a C. And when I say control problems I’m referring to the fact that if you hold down the jump button Mickey will keep jumping, like it’s a rapid fire button. Find me any other 2d platformer that does this. This will lead to occasional accidental jumps, hopefully not into a pit.
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Post by samsonlonghair »

I just found out that Sunsoft produced Beauty and the Beast: Belle's Quest for Sega Genesis.

I never played it when I was a little boy because, you know, "girl game" mentality. :roll: Now that I know it was made by Sunsoft, I have to give it a try!
Ack

Post by Ack »

Are any of the Barbie games platformers? As far as "girl stuff" is concerned, there's a licensed product we never talk about.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

samsonlonghair wrote:I just found out that Sunsoft produced Beauty and the Beast: Belle's Quest for Sega Genesis.

I never played it when I was a little boy because, you know, "girl game" mentality. :roll: Now that I know it was made by Sunsoft, I have to give it a try!

Not great and only published by SunSoft. :cry:
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Post by samsonlonghair »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:
samsonlonghair wrote:I just found out that Sunsoft produced Beauty and the Beast: Belle's Quest for Sega Genesis.

Not great and only published by SunSoft. :cry:

Damn. What a shame. I got my hopes up. :(
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

I'll echo "not great." My wife had Beauty & The Beast and we ended up selling it after trying it once.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

laurenhiya21 wrote:Shounen Ashibe: Goma-chan no Yuuenchi Daibouken / Miracle Girls

Nice job thinking outside the domestic box! Too bad they weren't great, but at least you gave 'em a shot.

BoneSnapDeez wrote:Not great and only published by SunSoft. :cry:

There's more than one Beauty & le Beast game on Genesis:

I'm not saying it's good though. But it was also published by SunSoft.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
ESauced
64-bit

Post by ESauced »

Here’s a few suggestions for anyone looking to stray from the mainstays. These may or may not have been said already -

Tiny Toons NES - I see a lot of people talking about the SNES one but I think this one is actually the better game.

Tiny Toons Genesis - Not as good as the ones on Nintendo consoles but a solid, albeit pretty generic, game

Gargoyles (Genesis) - Tough as nails but impressive visually. Won’t work on repro consoles or model 3 Genesis so get out the original hardware for this one.

Yo Noid (NES) - you’re the dominos Noid with a yo yo for some reason (I believe that reason is that this is just a Japanese game that got re-skinned with product placement for America)

Aah real monsters (Genesis) - Animaniacs isn’t the only nickelodeon platformer on Genesis. This one is decent but a bit hard to pick up initially.

Ren and Simpy: Stimpys invention (Genesis) - there are other ren and stimpy games but this is the one I’ve played. It’s not great but it’s playable.

Garfield Caught in the Act (Genesis) - this game is better than it should be. Also, harder than it should be. I had trouble with the first boss.

And my wife really likes the Berenstain Bears game on Genesis. It’s just her nostalgia though. It is not a good game :lol:

I’d say about a third or more of my collection on NES and Genesis are licensed games.