Together Retro: Licensed to Thrill (Licensed 2D Platformers)

Join in on our classic gaming club!
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Re: Together Retro: Licensed to Thrill (Licensed 2D Platform

Post by dsheinem »

Exhuminator wrote:
dsheinem wrote:how much shooting/punching/running has to be involved before a platformer would better be considered a beat-em-up, hack-n-slash, or run-n-gun game?

On the subject of beat 'em ups: If it's a side-scrolling game without Z-axis traversal, and you can jump, and must use said jumping ability to overcome bottomless pits, instant death spikes, or aerially navigate platforms to proceed, we're in platformer territory. If a game of this sort also includes fighting, than that functionally becomes ancillary to the core platformer base. Using this concept, Double Dragon II is not a platformer, despite being able to jump over pits, spikes and such, because it does have Z-axis traversal. However, Bad Dudes could be considered a platformer, because despite being a beat 'em up, it doesn't have Z-axis traversal, but does include pits and spikes to land on if one doesn't jump successfully. IMO the Z-axis traversal is what iterates a beat 'em up as a beat 'em up, versus a platformer/beat 'em up hybrid. That's just the way I see it, but the whole concept is absolutely subjective.

I like that. Do you have a similar classification system for “run-n-gun”? What about “hack-n-slash”?
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

dsheinem wrote:Do you have a similar classification system for “run-n-gun”?

If it's a run 'n gun game with a jump button, and ways to die if you don't jump/land correctly, then I would consider said game to be a platformer derivative. Earlier Contra games are good examples of this.

dsheinem wrote:What about “hack-n-slash”?

When I think "hack 'n slash", the first thing that comes to mind is Golden Axe. And Golden Axe is a beat 'em up due to the z-axis inclusion. Now maybe someone could consider The Legendary Axe a hack 'n slash game, which has no z-axis. But, The Legendary Axe does have pitfalls and spikes one must jump over, or suffer the consequences. So in that regard, I would consider The Legendary Axe to be a hack 'n slash derivative of the platformer genre.

That's just how I see this stuff. It's very easy to start splitting hairs and making reasonable debates either way. My rule of thumb is; if you're moving sideways through a stage, and you can jump over stuff, and you can die if you don't jump right, we're somewhere in platformer land.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

For my money, hack n' slash is just a beat 'em up with swords.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

Level 5 in Silius. More platformer than Contra ever got.

Less talk... I wanna see more games beat suckas!
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

I think Ex is right. I was actually thinking about Double Dragon II the other day, and whether it counted. It absolutely has significant platforming elements, but the addition of "belt-scrolling" takes it from a platformer with beat-'em-up elements to the opposite, a beat-'em-up with platforming elements.

Most of your Contra games are sub-genres of platformer, so I definitely include them. The further the series goes, the less the platforming elements are emphasized, though.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

ImageImage

While watching GamesDoneQuick after dinner, just knocked out Aladdin (SNES) in 40 minutes. :lol: It's a replay though. Didn't go out of my way for the red gems but I tried to get some along the way. A speedy casual run in between my Xenoblade 2 binge today.

Fantastic game. The first blue caves area always gives me awesome Super Ghouls vibes. And graphically I really like the Genie levels. A very simple, light, fun game when you know the levels well. Didn't die in the magic carpet volcano escape level, because I know it too well by this point after dozens of deaths growing up haha. Aladdin can be slipperier sometimes so there's some tricky spots in the sky genie level platforming. The last boss is hilariously easy. But overall the simplicity is something I love about this game. Great times.
SpaceBooger

Post by SpaceBooger »

Over the last two days, I have played a couple games, I plan on beating one of them and may revisit two others.

Animaniacs - Genesis
First off I love my S-Vid modded genesis on a CRT and this game looks great. I played the first two levels (intro and studio 1) and it has a platformer/puzzle vibe. It's like a cross between Mario 2's platforming and the Lost Vikings puzzle solving. Yakko has a paddle and ball and I have yet to use it in either level that I played. Wakko has a mallet that is used to hit buttons and light fuses(?). Dot blows kisses that either makes living obstacles move out of the way or stand still infatuated; these still people can then be used as platforms to progress through the level.
I liked this game and will play it off and on until I beat it since the password system is a simple 3x3 grid with the faces of characters.

Buster's Hidden Treasure - Genesis
I played this for through the first boss. - Dizzy Devil. This felt like a Sonic the Hedgehog clone and I played it like I did the first time I played through the Blue Blur's game - speed through to the finish. This game looks nice but it felt too much like Sonic but not Sonic that I don't see myself playing it again this month.

Darkwing Duck - NES
I memorized that stinkin bridge level because the boss drove me crazy. I swear that first boss, for me, was one of the hardest bosses I have played against. It took me a while to figure out the pattern of the falling projectiles and get used to the drop down mechanic (I keep trying to "jump" down when hanging from platforms and ended up going up). I had a MegaMan vibe but the same satisfactory feeling as when I finished a level in Ninja Gaiden. Speaking of Ninja Gaiden, which is the last NES game I beat, the second level drove me nuts like a Ninja Gaiden level - I hate those stupid tires and flying things. I will keep playing this game in an attempt to finish it this month since I am playing it on my Retron 5 and am creating a save state after each boss.
BLOG | BST
Systems Owned: NES, Game Boy (Original, Pocket, Color & Advance SP), DSi, 3DS, Genesis, Sega CD,
Nomad, SNES, Saturn, PS1, Dreamcast, XBox, PS2, Gamecube, Nintendo DS, Wii, PSP, PS3, WiiU & XBONE.
ESauced
64-bit

Post by ESauced »

I really enjoy all the games you’re playing through Spacebooger.

I think Yakkos paddle in Animaniacs is purely for attacking. Although it has been so long since I played this that I’m not so sure on that; are there even enemies in this game? Anyway, Yakkos ability that you’ll need him for in puzzles is pushing blocks.

I enjoy Tiny Toons on Genesis by I agree it’s derivative. If you’re a fan of the series, the first one On NES is the game to get.

And I recall Darkwing Duck getting easier as you go along. Not because there’s any power ups or anything, but you’ll just fall into a rhythm once you play it for a bit.
laurenhiya21
Next-Gen

Post by laurenhiya21 »

I had a bit of time over the weekend, so I tried out a few more games for this. Unlike last time, I actually played some good ones! These are all SuFami games that are based on manga haha. (also sorry if poorly worded... I'm tired!!)

First one was Youkai Buster: Ruka no Daibouken. This origin of this one is quite odd, since it's a reskin of The Jestons: Invasion of the Planet Pirates. Apparently the game was reskinned since they wanted to get some more readers for the Youkai Buster manga (and maybe the Jetsons isn't popular in Japan?), but I'm not sure how well that worked since I can't find any images of the manga. All that comes up is this game haha.

Regardless, the game is pretty neat since you have this demon head that can be used to suck in objects to throw at enemies or suction the main character to walls, which allows her to climb up them. I like the idea of it, but it's a bit too difficult for me. You can take more than one hit from enemies (thankfully), but there are a ton of pits that I would regularly fall into. I eventually just got super stuck on the second level, so I stopped there.

Second one was Go Go Ackman, and this was the first enjoyable game that I've played for this month of TR! I don't feel like there is anything too super special about it, but it's easy enough for me to play without being boring, so I like it so far. Also it has a fan translation, which isn't super necessary, but there are cutscenes which are sometimes funny. I'll be going back to this one when I have a chance.

Third game, which I also had fun with, was Magical Taruruuto-kun: Magic Adventure. It's a bit confusing sometimes, since I had to navigate around some required mini-games (not sure if this has a fan translation, but I'm currently playing it in Japanese), but once I get to the actual levels it's pretty good. In the levels, you collect takoyaki balls with the character's tongue, which act as currency for upgrades (which unfortunately I can't read what they do :l). However, you can also leave them alone, and they will act as platforms. So sometimes you want to leave some of them alone so that you can get through the level easier or access a hidden area. It's fairly simple, but I had some fun with it. Only problems I had with is are the mini-games and you can only take 1 hit before you lose a life, but luckily the levels are pretty short anyway. This one will also be getting a revisit from me.

Last game I played recently was Cyborg 009. Unfortunately, this one was not a good time for me. It's neat, since you choose 3 characters (from a selection of 8 ) to bring to a level. All of the characters have different abilities (this game does have a fan translation so I could read them!), and you can switch between the 3 on the fly. It was a great impression to start off on, but I had two problems with the game. The first problem I had was that the level I played was super weird and mazey. I just kept on getting confused and lost and not sure where I had to go. The second problem (and the biggest problem), was that the jumps are really wonky for me to control. If you jump, you can't change direction at all, which made it super difficult for me to do much of anything. Maybe if you're used to that sort of thing then it might not be so bad (I mean, it did get a fan translation so obviously some one really liked it?), but for me it's a definite no.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

SpaceBooger wrote:Animaniacs - Genesis
Yakko has a paddle and ball and I have yet to use it in either level that I played. Wakko has a mallet that is used to hit buttons and light fuses(?). Dot blows kisses that either makes living obstacles move out of the way or stand still infatuated; these still people can then be used as platforms to progress through the level.

Hey, this is another one I've beaten!

Yakko's paddle is mostly worthless. It stuns Ralph the security guard on levels where he's about, letting you escape a bit more easily. It doesn't last very long at all though, it just makes his hitbox briefly unable to hurt you. His main ability is actually that he is the only one who can push and pull crates. You have to hold the action button as Yakko to pull them though, it's not immediately obvious.