Together Retro: Licensed to Thrill (Licensed 2D Platformers)

Join in on our classic gaming club!
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Re: Together Retro: Licensed to Thrill (Licensed 2D Platform

Post by noiseredux »

good luck on Mickey Mania. That game is f'ing hard. Mostly because the hit detection was so janky. I always played it on Sega CD, but I assume the Genesis version is quite similar.
Ack

Post by Ack »

Exhuminator wrote:I've decided to take the admittedly safe and boring route of choosing Disney licensed platformers. The caveat being I've hardly beaten any of them, so this is a good excuse to do so. I want to beat at least ten. Crazy? Maybe. But I think this is doable, considering these games are generally easy and short.

Right now I'm considering:

Castle of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse (Genesis)
Darkwing Duck (NES)
Disney's Aladdin (SNES)
Disney's Pinocchio (SNES)
Mickey to Donald Magical Adventure 3 (SFC)
Fantasia (Genesis)
QuackShot starring Donald Duck (Genesis)
Mickey Mania: The Timeless Adventures of Mickey Mouse (Genesis)
The Great Circus Mystery Starring Mickey & Minnie (SNES)
World of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse and Donald Duck (Genesis)

We'll see how it goes!

Well, Castle of Illusion and Great Circus Mystery are both ridiculously easy. You'll probably knock both out in one night if you play them back to back. Pinocchio's not bad, but it's not up there with Aladdin and the like. Darkwing Duck is great, and as Ds mentioned, it's an awesome Mega Man game.

Funny enough, there's a pirate game called Rock Man II in the US that is Darkwing Duck but with the Mega Man sprite put in instead.
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

noiseredux wrote:good luck on Mickey Mania. That game is f'ing hard. Mostly because the hit detection was so janky. I always played it on Sega CD, but I assume the Genesis version is quite similar.

Oh really? It's one of the those games I've procrastinating on picking up again. I think I only played it back when it came out.

Maybe I'll give a ROM/ISO a go sometime before I plunk down the cash (It's not the cheap game it used to be)

But I might brush up on Duck Tales Remastered on the Apple TV (my wife beat it already a couple months ago) and I was also eyeing my old copy of Aladdin on the Genesis. I can't remember if I ever did beat Jafar on that. I know I was stoked to get that far and it was super hard (I was also like 14 at the time)
Ack

Post by Ack »

racketboy wrote:
noiseredux wrote:good luck on Mickey Mania. That game is f'ing hard. Mostly because the hit detection was so janky. I always played it on Sega CD, but I assume the Genesis version is quite similar.

Oh really? It's one of the those games I've procrastinating on picking up again. I think I only played it back when it came out.

There are some changes across platforms such as level design, but yeah, Mickey Mania isn't nearly as easy as the Disney/Capcom platformers. It's still a treat if you enjoy classic Mickey Mouse cartoons though due to the visual design. The game is the closest we got to playing an old cartoon until the likes of Cuphead came out.
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

I'll probably try to go for at least Magical Quest, and perhaps Buster Busts Loose as well. Both of those are games I've always wanted to finish, but never stuck with.

I also recently was informed that Pinocchio is somehow actually good? Might be worth a shot as well.
TheSSNintendo
128-bit

Post by TheSSNintendo »

Borrowed Buster Busts Loose from a neighbor years ago, but never finished it. So I'm definitely gonna give that one another go. Probably will give the SNES version of Aladdin a shot.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

Talespin’s first level, before you get any upgrades, is a goddamn bitch.
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

Ack wrote:
racketboy wrote:

There are some changes across platforms such as level design, but yeah, Mickey Mania isn't nearly as easy as the Disney/Capcom platformers. It's still a treat if you enjoy classic Mickey Mouse cartoons though due to the visual design. The game is the closest we got to playing an old cartoon until the likes of Cuphead came out.

Yeah that style and visual execution blew me away as an early teen and stuck with me. Still looks solid in videos
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

I dabbled into two tonight:

Castle of Illusion starring Mickey Mouse - Seems really fun and simple enough, but talk about floaty! Took me a minute to realize you have to hold down after a jump to safely butt stomp an enemy. Maybe I'll jump back over to The Magical Quest Starring Mickey Mouse for the SNES, I remember liking that one a lot growing up.

aj: I still have your list of recommended Disney games in a notepad file!

McDonald's Treasureland Adventure - This game definitely seems really polished and awesome despite what you'd think for a McDonald's game haha, but it's Treasure! I really dig how the aesthetics look Sonic influenced. Seems top notch.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

Xeogred wrote:Castle of Illusion starring Mickey Mouse

I played this one too. I beat the Enchanted Forest and Toyland stages, but got stuck on The Storm stage. I'll figure it out tomorrow. Some really great level design in this one.

I also played QuackShot, and beat three of its stages. I had erroneously thought Quackshot was Donald Duck meets Dick Tracy, but it's actually Donald Duck meets Indiana Jones. There's more complexity in QuackShot than I expected, and I enjoy it, except for the backtracking.

Having fun so far!
PLAY KING'S FIELD.