Together Retro: Licensed to Thrill (Licensed 2D Platformers)

Join in on our classic gaming club!
Ack

Re: Together Retro: Licensed to Thrill (Licensed 2D Platform

Post by Ack »

ESauced wrote:
Ack wrote:Knocked out Disney's Jungle Book today. Not sure if I will play through another this month since the genre isn't my thing, but I do have a few I could fall back on. We'll just have to see how I feel.

I saw your write up. You picked such a mediocre game for your only one. Go play the Genesis Aladdin!

Haha, I should get around to that someday, but the truth of the matter is I'm trying to only focus on what I already own...which does still give me a few options in my SNES collection. Maybe I will sit down with Cool Spot. Or maybe I'll force myself through a Ren and Stimpy game.

Yeah, no, definitely not a Ren and Stimpy game.
ESauced
64-bit

Post by ESauced »

Ack wrote:
ESauced wrote:
Ack wrote:Knocked out Disney's Jungle Book today. Not sure if I will play through another this month since the genre isn't my thing, but I do have a few I could fall back on. We'll just have to see how I feel.

I saw your write up. You picked such a mediocre game for your only one. Go play the Genesis Aladdin!

Haha, I should get around to that someday, but the truth of the matter is I'm trying to only focus on what I already own...which does still give me a few options in my SNES collection. Maybe I will sit down with Cool Spot. Or maybe I'll force myself through a Ren and Stimpy game.

Yeah, no, definitely not a Ren and Stimpy game.

Haha. Yeah don’t torture yourself. That’ll be worse than Jungle Book. Cool Spot is a good game. It’s not as good as Aladdin but it’s better than Jungle Book and a heck of a lot better than any REN and stimpy game I’m sure.
ESauced
64-bit

Post by ESauced »

Just beat Duck Tales 2 in the Disney Afternoon collection. It’s not as good as Duck Tales 1 but it is a solid game. It seems like they went with slightly bigger levels but there are fewer so it somehow ends up being a shorter game than the first one, which my brother and I speedrunned in about ten minutes (only game I’ve ever speedrunned).

Right now I’ve got all my stuff in storage as my wife and I are staying at my moms while we renovate a house. I’d have about a billion options if I had my games but right now I’m pretty much down to what’s on the Disney afternoon collection. With luck I may be able to branch out toward he end of the month. Maybe I’ll take another crack at beating Mickey Mania or the Jungle Book on Genesis if I have them unpacked in time. If I’m really feeling daring I might even take a crack at beating Batman Returns.
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

Knocked out Tiny Toon Adventures: Buster Busts Loose! Didn't like it as much as the Mickey game, this one had a good bit more trial and error. The game is pretty generous with lives, though, if you can do the minigames right. Also, it has passwords as well, along with five continues. I just bypassed that and abused save states at points. But I know what to do now and figure I can breeze through pretty easily on the continues they give. Probably not on the "Challenge" mode, though. That one drops your health to one, but you can still find life extensions in the levels.

I'd say... 6.5 range. Decent-to-good, not great. With some really nice variation in levels and some good sprite design.
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

I played a couple Genesis titles alongside my 4-year old son last night...

First, we tried out Aladdin. I forgot how solid and interesting this game was. I know I enjoyed it, but it was still pretty darn fun. Animation style is top-notch, good sense of humor, and responsive gameplay. It's been probably 20 years since I've had a solid session with the game, but I quickly started remembering a lot of things. I got to the dungeon stage, but Jon thought it was more for "grown-ups", so I switched to something (but will revisit later -- to bad the game doesn't have saves)

We then booted up Tiny Toon Adventures and he seemed pretty interested in that! I've had the cart sitting around for a few years, but couldn't get it to boot. Last night I spent extra time scrubbing it good and it finally booted. A rather fun title once you get used to Buster's movements. There's a few annoyances, but Jon actually enjoyed playing the first few levels before things started getting more challenging. We got past the first boss battle and its nice that there is passwords for each level so we can resume later. We played it for a while before he wanted to play Sonic CD on the real Sega CD again :)
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

racketboy wrote:I played a couple Genesis titles alongside my 4-year old son last night...

First, we tried out Aladdin. I forgot how solid and interesting this game was. I know I enjoyed it, but it was still pretty darn fun. Animation style is top-notch, good sense of humor, and responsive gameplay. It's been probably 20 years since I've had a solid session with the game, but I quickly started remembering a lot of things. I got to the dungeon stage, but Jon thought it was more for "grown-ups", so I switched to something (but will revisit later -- to bad the game doesn't have saves)

The best bit about Aladdin is that if you line aladdin's head with the Mickey Mouse ears which are on the washing lines in the desert stage, it gives you an extra life.
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

alienjesus wrote:
racketboy wrote:I played a couple Genesis titles alongside my 4-year old son last night...

The best bit about Aladdin is that if you line aladdin's head with the Mickey Mouse ears which are on the washing lines in the desert stage, it gives you an extra life.

Ha! I don't think I ever learned that -- thanks!
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

oh snap... Disney Afternoon is on sale for $8 on XBLA right now. And I have gift cards from Christmas.
marurun

Post by marurun »

Exhuminator wrote:Well I beat my first retro game for this TR, it's Castle of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse for Genesis. Overall I'd give the game a 7/10. You can read my review here.

More to come!

I'm sad to see your reviews leaving our thread here. I always enjoy reading them, and I'm at my forum attention limit right now.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
crazythink4
8-bit

Post by crazythink4 »

Hey all. Like many others, picked up the Disney Afternoon collection like many others, since there were 4 in there that I've never played.

Breezed through DuckTales and enjoyed it quite a bit. Had to get back into the groove with the controls since you needed to be precise in places, but once I did that it was fairly easy (like I remembered). I wonder if it'd be as easy if I were a complete newcomer...

Speaking of which, I moved onto TaleSpin (because, you know, chronological order and I'm holding out that my wife will play co-op Rescue Rangers with me). I'm finding the controls pretty fiddly and the single-shot-at-a-time-on-the-screen mechanic you get at the very beginning is very off-putting (tho you can upgrade that for the next level).

It makes me wonder: if I had played this game at release, would I have enjoyed it more? Can anyone who may have played TaleSpin in the 90s attest to this one way or the other? (I generally suck at scrolling shooters, so this is probably one I won't finish or heavily cheat on...)