Together Retro: Licensed to Thrill (Licensed 2D Platformers)

Join in on our classic gaming club!
laurenhiya21
Next-Gen

Re: Together Retro: Licensed to Thrill (Licensed 2D Platform

Post by laurenhiya21 »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:Are you floating using the R button? Gotta make sure you pick up the cloth item -- I think it's in the second part of the desert. Certainly one of the initial levels.

Yeah, I make sure to pick that up and use it. It did make things a little easier once I figured out how to use it, but I still would die a lot regardless :(
nullPointer
128-bit

Post by nullPointer »

I played more Adventures of Batman and Robin (SNES) last night and got through the level in which you're tasked with chasing Two-Face in the Batmobile. Unfortunately that's a level that doesn't really hold up as well as the rest of the game, and it's probably the weakest point in the game. I'm not a huge fan of overhead driving in the first place (with the possible exception of Spy Hunter), but in this game it just feels downright stiff and strangely implemented. Thankfully it's a short level. Hopefully I'll be making my run at the end game tonight. We'll see!
ESauced
64-bit

Post by ESauced »

Almost just ordered Chester Cheetah Too Cool to Fool so I’d have something new to play for this together retro. Finger over the buy it now button then decided maybe I should look for a good game instead of a bad novelty game. Lol.

Just curious if anyone has played it though and how bad it is.

Also, doesn’t fit the platformer theme but does anyone remember those Burger King games for the Xbox? I think I actually own Big Bumping still, and I have to say, it’s actually not bad.
nullPointer
128-bit

Post by nullPointer »

I beat The Adventures of Batman & Robin on SNES last night and posted some final thoughts in the Games Beaten thread. Although it remains a sentimental favorite of mine, I can see some of the issues with the game more clearly these days. I'd still say that it holds up fairly well though, and it's without a doubt one of the better licensed super hero titles to appear on the SNES. Retro gaming Batman fans can't go wrong with this one.

As a side note, is it fair to say that that Batman is the most represented super hero in video games? Why is that? Does his relative lack of super powers mean that he's just a more suitable subject for video games? (i.e. you can make a video game with a nigh invincible hero (Superman as an example), it just doesn't work as a very fun game).
ESauced
64-bit

Post by ESauced »

nullPointer wrote:
As a side note, is it fair to say that that Batman is the most represented super hero in video games? Why is that? Does his relative lack of super powers mean that he's just a more suitable subject for video games? (i.e. you can make a video game with a nigh invincible hero (Superman as an example), it just doesn't work as a very fun game).

I certainly would agree he’s best represented but there are plenty of Spider-Man and X-Men games too (which, surprisingly I don’t think I’ve seen anyone mention the Genesis Spider-Man game during this TR).

I think that yes, it is harder to make a game with more powerful superheros though. Obviously no one has ever managed with Superman. When you make a superhero game you have a conundrum of either the superhero has to be weaker than he should be, or the game is too easy. In the Batman games it works well enough because you feel like Batman is mortal and has to be mindful to deal with bad guys. In Spider-Man games it always feels like Spider-Man is a bit weaker than he should be since you can die facing just a regular guy with a bat, but Spider-Man has never been the strongest so it’s not enough to ruin the immersion. It’s the worst for Superman games since he’s basically supposed to be invincible, which I think is part of why there has never been a good Superman game. The non-Batman superhero game that dealt with this conundrum best in my opinion is Hulk: Ultimate Destruction which just said, screw it, yeah the Hulk is capable of leveling cities in this game.
isiolia
Next-Gen

Post by isiolia »

nullPointer wrote:As a side note, is it fair to say that that Batman is the most represented super hero in video games? Why is that? Does his relative lack of super powers mean that he's just a more suitable subject for video games? (i.e. you can make a video game with a nigh invincible hero (Superman as an example), it just doesn't work as a very fun game).

Batman has also tended to be relatively popular in parallel to the growing game industry. Superman had more games based on him if looking more at the rough time period surrounding the live action films - however, those were '78-87, and the systems the games were made for reflect that. If you're looking at 8/16-bit platformers, then that era is more Batman, with the live action movies from '89-97, multiple animated series, and so on. The only real lull was in the early 2000s, between the various shows and Batman Begins.
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

The problem with Superman is that the devs don't go after the types of experiences they should be. Superman might be "invincible" to normal threats, so you throw threats at him that are much more powerful. Darkseid, for instance. Magic-powered enemies. Throw in some enemies armed with Kryptonite if you have to. But those last two feel like dodges.

The template in my mind would be something like Asura's Wrath. Give Supes a chance to shine. Let him pull off incredible feats on a scale only he can. It would be epic.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

I beat another licensed platformer tonight.

1993's THE TERMINATOR on SEGA CD

This was a... surprisingly competent experience. Very faithful to the film. Awesome OST. RIFF RUFF GYEETAURS
I recommend The Terminator to fans of the 1984 film, who also own a SEGA CD. (Or aren't allergic to ROMZ.)
Full review here.

PLAY KING'S FIELD.
chuckster
32-bit

Post by chuckster »

Just got back to being able to play some Mutant Apocalypse, and it's definitely getting tougher. I restarted about half a dozen times on...
the Apocalypse stage with the lava.
Plus that boss fight was a disaster until I learned how to cheese it. I've been gravitating toward Cyclops and Wolverine so far. I know you effectively have 10+ lives with all the characters combined but this game really needs some better balance. There are way to many situations with instant death or sections obviously designed for certain characters.

Overall though, I'm still liking it and the password system is a lifesaver.

EDIT:

Powered through the rest of Mutant Apocalypse. It was nails-hard and the difficulty feels like a result of poor, callous game design rather than a well-designed challenge. The amount of instant-death traps, trial-and-error boss fights, and the unsuitability of some characters for some situations with no option to change out mid-level (with a limited amount of lives for each) is very frustrating while playing.

On the other hand, you have the password system to allow for experimentation, and it feels like any character can technically make it through each level, even if some aren't as easy. Once you know about certain traps, you can avoid the instant-death scenarios fairly easily as well.

Once you get to that point, the game is still very tough (or it was to me at least), but it's also exciting and tense. The art is great and the soundtrack is at least pretty good. I'd give this game a 6/10 overall, but with a few changes it could easily be an 8.

Now onto lighter fare to close out the month, Castle of Illusion!
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

chuckster wrote:Castle of Illusion!

I hope you enjoy it more than I did. :|

At this point I've finished seven games for this TR. I'm awful tempted to make it an even ten. I've got three more games picked out. Just a matter of making time to play through them is all. We've got over a week left in January, it's possible.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.