January's Together Retro theme: Licensed 2D platformers wins

Join in on our classic gaming club!

Which theme for January's Together Retro (Pick 2, pls read 1st post!)

Treasure Box (Treasure games)
26%
Ultimate Play Rare's Games (Rareware games)
15%
The Legend of the Zelda Clones (top-down action adventures)
22%
Licensed to Thrill (Licensed 2D platformers)
37%

Total votes: 54

alienjesus
Next-Gen

Re: Let's vote on January's Together Retro theme!

Post by alienjesus »

Let's not start bickering about the damn thing already, I think the first step is to worry about people joining in in general.
laurenhiya21
Next-Gen

Post by laurenhiya21 »

Oh no! It's platformers! I'm so bad at them!

I'll still participate, but I'll probably pick a bunch with the expectation that I might not beat or like any of them haha. Still have to decide what ones first though (probably looking at emulating some SNES ones).
marurun

Post by marurun »

The point of Together Retro is to play with older games, but it’s not like we are forcing people to. And remakes of older games, especially when they stay fairly true mechanically, are I think compatible with the spirit of the exercise.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

laurenhiya21 wrote:Oh no! It's platformers! I'm so bad at them!

I'll still participate, but I'll probably pick a bunch with the expectation that I might not beat or like any of them haha. Still have to decide what ones first though (probably looking at emulating some SNES ones).

I was going to say, for those of us that have less skill in a genre, I wouldn't object to using save-states a bit. Even a lot of the modern collections give you those options, like the Disney Afternoon collection (which would be a great choice, by the way).

I'm sure that some of us can give pointers to games that aren't ridiculously difficult, too. There's plenty to recommend on that front.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

alienjesus wrote:Let's not start bickering about the damn thing already, I think the first step is to worry about people joining in in general.

My intent was not to incite debate. I was attempting to clarify the TR framework. I wasn't aware retro-styled modern games count in TR.

Sarge wrote:some of us can give pointers to games / plenty to recommend

As we do these themed Together Retros, I hope members ask for suggestions to fit themes. This will not only help members find theme-fitting retro games to play, but also encourage discussion of said games as they're mentioned.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

The intention of Together Retro is to play older games in general, but traditionally more modern things that fit the topic have been encouraged to be played too - generally as an extra to expand knowledge around that months game/series.

I think there's a difference between someone playing Breath of the Wild (an entirely new game) and someone playing DuckTales Remastered (a remake including almost identical mechanics and level layouts) though. The latter may be 'new' but most of it is based off of the old original.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to January and both playing a bunch of licensed games and voting on Noiseredux's theme options!
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

alienjesus wrote:The intention of Together Retro is to play older games in general, but traditionally more modern things that fit the topic have been encouraged to be played too - generally as an extra to expand knowledge around that months game/series.

I think there's a difference between someone playing Breath of the Wild (an entirely new game) and someone playing DuckTales Remastered (a remake including almost identical mechanics and level layouts) though. The latter may be 'new' but most of it is based off of the old original.

that's the way I think of it. If Way Forward made a brand new Ducktales game called like Ducktales: Ducking Again!, then I would not think of that as really fitting the bill. But a remake like Ducktales HD which uses the same level design and everything is just a new 'version' of the same game.

Having said that, if anyone can think of some other retro licensed 2D platformers that I can pick up on Xbox One, I'm interested in hearing any options I may have overlooked.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to January and both playing a bunch of licensed games and voting on Noiseredux's theme options!

I'm pretty excited. I feel like I've come up with some fairly solid choices.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

noiseredux wrote:if anyone can think of some other retro licensed 2D platformers that I can pick up on Xbox One, I'm interested in hearing any options I may have overlooked

How about playing some NES/SNES/GEN/GB classics on it?: https://nesbox.com/

Guide: https://stormztrooper.wordpress.com/201 ... -xbox-one/

If you can get that to work, there are plenty of licensed platformers on NES/SNES/GEN/GB.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

I don't do ROMz. Thanks, though.

(From a technical standpoint, I think it's cool someone set this up to work thru Xbox One via HTML5, though. Nicely done.)
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

noiseredux wrote:I don't do ROMz. Thanks, though.

Do you have any other gaming platforms available to you besides Xbox One?
PLAY KING'S FIELD.