Revamping Together Retro for 2018

Join in on our classic gaming club!
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Re: Revamping Together Retro for 2018

Post by alienjesus »

racketboy wrote:
noiseredux wrote:Dave's thing is nice for content, yes. But like others I don't see it as really being a TOGETHER Retro.

Racket, I guess you just need to decide how we'll run it.

1. Do you want to (now) pick 12 folks to be in charge of each month? Do you want to pick someone for January and have them pick the person for Feb and so on? Should we just have 3-5 Themes be nominated for each month and give the community a week or two to vote? I guess just we need to have some kind of order understood.

In my opinion, whoever picks that month's Theme should make it their mission to motivate others to get involved. Like by offering up suggestions on games or just really trying to keep conversation active.

2. Should the Theme be announced on the first of that month? Or one month or two weeks prior? Or should all 12 be announced before January 1st?

FWIW, I don't think that we need the blog posts right now. Might as well feel this experiment out first anyway.

1) I think we should have volunteers -- I don't feel comfortable just signing people up...
2) This first month might be tricky, but I think we should give a heads-up on later ones? Maybe we can announce the next month's when we kick of the new month?

Well, if we're looking for volunteers, I'm up for it.

Do we want to just let the volunteers pick an option or to suggest a few and the community can vote on it or what?
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

alienjesus wrote:I wonder if there is a broader theme that could include King's Field.

KING'S FIELD & SHADOW TOWER MONTH

Or "retro non-PC* first person dungeon crawlers month".

*As in existing on handhelds or consoles only.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Ack

Post by Ack »

What about non-PC ports of PC RPGs?
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

Ack wrote:What about non-PC ports of PC RPGs?

Retro-CRPG ports to retro-consoles/handhelds? That could be cool for a different month, yeah. Personally I'd like to see a month specifically cater to first person dungeon crawling is all.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

alienjesus wrote:Well, if we're looking for volunteers, I'm up for it.

Do we want to just let the volunteers pick an option or to suggest a few and the community can vote on it or what?

Volunteers could offer 2 to 3 suggestions and then community can approve. If we can figure out the first month quickly, we can take a bit more time defining more concrete proceedures.
Ack

Post by Ack »

Exhuminator wrote:
Ack wrote:What about non-PC ports of PC RPGs?

Retro-CRPG ports to retro-consoles/handhelds? That could be cool for a different month, yeah. Personally I'd like to see a month specifically cater to first person dungeon crawling is all.
That's cool. More folks need to play Arcana anyway.
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

alienjesus wrote:
racketboy wrote:
noiseredux wrote:Dave's thing is nice for content, yes. But like others I don't see it as really being a TOGETHER Retro.

Racket, I guess you just need to decide how we'll run it.

1. Do you want to (now) pick 12 folks to be in charge of each month? Do you want to pick someone for January and have them pick the person for Feb and so on? Should we just have 3-5 Themes be nominated for each month and give the community a week or two to vote? I guess just we need to have some kind of order understood.

In my opinion, whoever picks that month's Theme should make it their mission to motivate others to get involved. Like by offering up suggestions on games or just really trying to keep conversation active.

2. Should the Theme be announced on the first of that month? Or one month or two weeks prior? Or should all 12 be announced before January 1st?

FWIW, I don't think that we need the blog posts right now. Might as well feel this experiment out first anyway.

1) I think we should have volunteers -- I don't feel comfortable just signing people up...
2) This first month might be tricky, but I think we should give a heads-up on later ones? Maybe we can announce the next month's when we kick of the new month?

Do you want to handle the first month since we're on a tight schedule?
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

racketboy wrote:
alienjesus wrote:

Do you want to handle the first month since we're on a tight schedule?

I'd be happy too, we should find other volunteers too. I bet there's a good number of people who will want to nominate something!

Will have a think of some ideas and post a poll later today.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

I propose we do an Army Men month! I'm probably the only person here who likes those games at all, but as the token Army Men superfan, I'm obligated to propose.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

A vote for the theme for the first month can be found here!:

http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=51803

Lets get some volunteers for later months and keep Together Retro alive. It was one of my favourite things about this forum, and I'd hate it to go the way of the dodo!