Together Retro: WeaponLord

Join in on our classic gaming club!
Sarge
Next-Gen

Re: Together Retro: WeaponLord

Post by Sarge »

I plan on playing soon. Maybe after our Christmas special tonight.
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

I am apparently terrible at this game. Oof. Either that, or it kinda sucks. I've got some respect for what they were trying to do here, but there's just no fluidity to the combat. I think I might give the Genesis version a go again; the short time I tried it the AI didn't seem quite as hyper-aggressive.
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

Hey Ack (and everyone else, I guess ;) )

James Goddard followed up with me on Twitter to expand/clarify/correct some info at the end of the piece, but he really enjoyed the write-up
https://twitter.com/DJamesGoddard
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

Man, I suck at this game. The controls are just so different from how most fighters controlled at the time. Especially the "hold a button then do these commands" moves. I still managed to get my head handed to me at the lowest difficulty! I mean, am I just that bad at fighters? Or is the AI just that aggressive?

(For the record, I'm pretty good at Capcom's output, and decent enough at SNK fighters.)
Ack

Post by Ack »

racketboy wrote:Hey Ack (and everyone else, I guess ;) )

James Goddard followed up with me on Twitter to expand/clarify/correct some info at the end of the piece, but he really enjoyed the write-up

That's awesome! I'm glad he liked it. Please tell him I said thanks for all his hard work over the years. I really appreciate it.
Ack

Post by Ack »

Sarge wrote:Man, I suck at this game. The controls are just so different from how most fighters controlled at the time. Especially the "hold a button then do these commands" moves. I still managed to get my head handed to me at the lowest difficulty! I mean, am I just that bad at fighters? Or is the AI just that aggressive?

(For the record, I'm pretty good at Capcom's output, and decent enough at SNK fighters.)

There were a few other fighters that did use this control scheme, like Primal Rage. It's not that you suck; the AI really is that aggressive, especially if you are playing on the Super Nintendo version. The Genesis version had a bit more of a build up, but even then, it ain't a slouch.
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

Ack wrote:
racketboy wrote:Hey Ack (and everyone else, I guess ;) )

That's awesome! I'm glad he liked it. Please tell him I said thanks for all his hard work over the years. I really appreciate it.

I did just that and we chatted a bit and he's up for an interview or something if you'd like :)

Maybe we can collect some questions as we experience the game this month?
isiolia
Next-Gen

Post by isiolia »

Sarge wrote:I am apparently terrible at this game. Oof. Either that, or it kinda sucks. I've got some respect for what they were trying to do here, but there's just no fluidity to the combat. I think I might give the Genesis version a go again; the short time I tried it the AI didn't seem quite as hyper-aggressive.

Yeah, I tried playing this last night for an hour or so (felt like it anyway). I think I won a round. Once.

So it's not just you. The SNES difficulty does default to the third of four levels, which I didn't try changing. So maybe that or the Genesis version would be better. Still, it didn't really flow for me. No real sense of doing things correctly or not, in order to learn whatever system it's going for. Seems like there's some potentially interesting things going on with it, at least with regard to doing a story mode and all...but I didn't find it fun to play in the slightest.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

maybe I'll fire up the new KI game again. There's at least a connection there haha.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

isiolia wrote:I didn't find it fun to play in the slightest.

Even though I beat* WeaponLord (SNES version), I came away with the same impression. It's just not a compelling or fun fighting game IMO.

I didn't post my detailed thoughts here about WeaponLord, because I wrote a detailed review for it instead. Since the Games Beaten thread moves so quickly, said review is already buried. But I'll post a direct link here as it does pertain to this TR:

viewtopic.php?f=44&t=50990&start=3081

*Not by utilizing some supposed parrying/combo system, but by exploiting the AI and employing cheap tactics.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.