Together Retro: Virtua Tennis

Join in on our classic gaming club!
racketboy
Site Admin

Together Retro: Virtua Tennis

Post by racketboy »

Don't have a post yet, but here's an excerpt about the Dreamcast Virtua Tennis and it's follow up Tennis 2K2

"Virtua Tennis & Tennis 2K2
Having the essential quality of being easy to play and difficulty to master, Virtua Tennis was one of the sleeper hits on the Dreamcast. It is often overlooked as a killer party game — I have had many parties with both guys and girls of all gaming levels having a blast on a 4-player doubles tournament.

While other enjoyable tennis titles have come long since (Top Spin and Mario Power Tennis), Virtua Tennis still holds up as being possibly the best tennis game ever. The “sequel”, Tennis 2K2 is pretty much the same as Virtua Tennis except that the graphics are a bit more polished and it adds to the player lineup with a female roster (including the Williams sisters).

Not only is Virtua Tennis a great multiplayer game, but it also features an entertaining Soul Calibur-style single player game, where the player must progress through the ranks to become the world’s top player. Even if you don’t like tennis too much, this is still an essential game, and an example of multiplayer Dreamcast gaming at its best."

Also, here's an old thread on the topic I saw in google :)
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=9701
o.pwuaioc
Next-Gen

Re: Together Retro: Virtua Tennis

Post by o.pwuaioc »

Just got this in the other day and fired it up earlier today. It still looks really great even after 16 years.
Derryck

Post by Derryck »

This sounds very interesting! :) However, was this game Dreamcast exclusive? Would be quite over the top, if I buy a console just in order to play this game. :)
~ posted by Derryck :)
Nemoide
Next-Gen

Post by Nemoide »

I finally decided to actually hook up my Dreamcast and play for a bit. (I've owned it for years but only played a little bit before.)

TBH I don't like this game as much as most folks. Maybe it would be fun with other players, but single player is kind of awkward. After losing many rounds, I finally got the general hang of what I was doing. I still don't REALLY have an idea of what I'm doing, but at least I won a number of games?
Doubles is really weird in how the AI sometimes makes it too easy. There were rounds where I won despite not even moving.

Anyway, it IS fun, but I don't have very strong feelings about it. I might as well keep playing through the World Circuit mode though?
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

Nemoide wrote:I finally decided to actually hook up my Dreamcast and play for a bit. (I've owned it for years but only played a little bit before.)

TBH I don't like this game as much as most folks. Maybe it would be fun with other players, but single player is kind of awkward. After losing many rounds, I finally got the general hang of what I was doing. I still don't REALLY have an idea of what I'm doing, but at least I won a number of games?
Doubles is really weird in how the AI sometimes makes it too easy. There were rounds where I won despite not even moving.

Anyway, it IS fun, but I don't have very strong feelings about it. I might as well keep playing through the World Circuit mode though?

I didn't mind single player too much, but multiplayer really is best.
Kinda like a fighting game, I suppose.

There were some interesting single player challenges other than the traditional matches that test and enhance your skills a bit.