Together Retro: Legend of the Mystical Ninja

Join in on our classic gaming club!
TheSSNintendo
128-bit

Re: Together Retro: Legend of the Mystical Ninja

Post by TheSSNintendo »

Did a small run this past Sunday. Now I know I haven't played Mystical Ninja in a long time, but I don't remember being that bad at it.
Betagam7
128-bit

Post by Betagam7 »

I already completed this some time ago but I picked up the second and third game while in Japan many moons ago and always meant to beat them both before I became separated from most of my physical collection by work and travel.

Is the second game available in translated form as a ROM? If so I'll play that one this month on my PokeFami DX with the help of my Super UFO 8 cart.

For anyone playing the original, I wouldn't recommend writing down its passwords as I recall having some issues with the font. Use a cellphone to snap a picture.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

Anyone finish this, or anyone still playing?

I've had a buddy over this weekend, and we played through the whole thing in co-op, and had a blast. I'll post more about it in the games beaten thread soon enough.

I plan to try and get some time in with Mystical Ninja starring Goemon for N64 before the month is out too.
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

Post by PartridgeSenpai »

I keep meaning to play this! I have it on Virtual Console, but have never finished it. I really thoroughly enjoyed 4 when I played through it a year or so ago, so I really wanna finish the original. I remember thinking it was okay but really hard when I tried plaything through it years ago. I think the sequels definitely improve a lot (although apparently most of the improvements are made in 2 and then 3-5 are basically just more 2, in a very old-school Konami fashion :P ).
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
ExedExes
Next-Gen

Post by ExedExes »

Took out the Otafu army once again. DAT BOSS in the days of the SNES tho...

Has anyone ever seen the side show that was mentioned in Nintendo Power and in the manual? I think it was taken out, I've played the game for YEARS and I still haven't found it.

But I do see that the "Tear Down The Wall" bonus game is a reference to Konami's 1989 arcade puzzle game Block Hole (later released to the Famicom & Game Boy as Quarth)
Xeogred wrote:The obvious answer is that it's time for the Dreamcast 2.
Betagam7
128-bit

Post by Betagam7 »

ExedExes wrote:
Has anyone ever seen the side show that was mentioned in Nintendo Power and in the manual? I think it was taken out, I've played the game for YEARS and I still haven't found it.

https://tcrf.net/The_Legend_of_the_Myst ... tre_Scenes
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

Post by PartridgeSenpai »

Betagam7 wrote:
ExedExes wrote:

Ohhh my god. Ebisumaru (Dr. Yang) even talks with a Kansai accent in those images (the equivalent of a Southern accent which many Japanese comedians have)! I'm kind of ashamed that past me didn't notice that before when I played through Goemon 4. That combined with how much they laugh at how effeminate and transvestite they make him makes his character even more problematic. You are making it so hard to love you when you are so unabashedly homophobic, Japan :?
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
ExedExes
Next-Gen

Post by ExedExes »

Betagam7 wrote:
ExedExes wrote:

THANK YOU

That is one major gaming mystery solved! So they were removed!
ExedExes
Next-Gen

Post by ExedExes »

Completed, again! I've always had a good time with this game.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

I've been working through the N64 game - Mystical Ninja starring Goemon - in addition to the Legend of the Mystical Ninja. It's pretty fun, but way easier than the SNES title. The camera is the worst thing about it though.

I just arrived in the Festival Village, so I reckon I'm more than half way through.