Together Retro 2017 Calendar - FINAL

Join in on our classic gaming club!
racketboy
Site Admin

Together Retro 2017 Calendar - FINAL

Post by racketboy »

Hey everyone! We've had a pretty interesting Together Retro lineup for 2016, but we're also very excited to share our picks for the upcoming 2017 lineup. We think there's a great deal of variety to greet us in the new year -- hope you enjoy them all!

Jan: Disgaea
Feb: Sega Rally Championship
Mar: Gauntlet
Apr: Legend of the Mystical Ninja
May: Tomb Raider
Jun: Pacmania
Jul: Virtua Tennis
Aug: Fantasy Zone
Sep: King's Quest V
Oct: Bioshock
Nov: Breath of Fire 2
Dec: Weaponlord
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Re: Together Retro 2017 Calendar - FINAL

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

Wait, what? Did the mods choose these? April and December are pure Ack.

Also, Disgaea takes 8 months to complete and are we really calling a game like Bioshock retro now?
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

Disgaea doesn't take 8 months if you're just going for the end screen (though I'm still stuck on Mid boss's first fight because I'm too used to Disgaea 3).

I'm with you on Bioshock.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Flake

Post by Flake »

Disgaea is actually pretty quick, especially if you game the system.
Maybe now Nintendo will acknowledge Metroid has a fanbase?
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

Post by BogusMeatFactory »

Bioshock will be 10 years. Although I dont really see it as retro it is what it is. The game is great and has huge significance. Outside of that I think the list is great.
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

The list was picked by the people who do the writing for TR.

I picked Bioshock, we've done stuff ~10 years old before for the TR series.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

racketboy wrote:Hey everyone! We've had a pretty interesting Together Retro lineup for 2016, but we're also very excited to share our picks for the upcoming 2017 lineup. We think there's a great deal of variety to greet us in the new year -- hope you enjoy them all!

Nice. Some thoughts:

Jan: Disgaea - I plan to pick this up on PSP. Any reason why I should get the PS2 or DS ports instead? This kinda long game works better on handheld for me.

Feb: Sega Rally Championship - I beat this just this year for my Summer Challenge, but it was fun enough that I'll play it again. I already have this on Saturn.

Mar: Gauntlet - I actually don't know much about the myriad of ports for this. Maybe I'll go with Mega Drive? What do people recommend? I've actually never played this one.

Apr: Legend of the Mystical Ninja - Really looking forward to this, going for the physical release on SNES all the way.

May: Tomb Raider - Another game I did for a past summer challenge, but unfortunately I didn't enjoy it enough to play it again. I'd be interested to hear how the Saturn port compares though!

Jun: Pacmania - This seems to be on a lot of systems, maybe I'll go Mega Drive again. Not sure how I'll like this one, so hopefully it's cheap.

Jul: Virtua Tennis - I'll give this a go on Dreamcast.

Aug: Fantasy Zone - I already own and have beaten this game on Master System, TG16 and 3DS, so I plan to pick up Super Fantasy Zone for Mega Drive and play that instead!

Sep: King's Quest V - PC, seems like an easy decision :lol: Probably from a digital service somewhere (GOG?)

Oct: Bioshock - Not sure whether I'll join in on this, mainly as I'm not big on the genre.

Nov: Breath of Fire 2 - I'm definitely up for playing this one on GBA.

Dec: Weaponlord - I might sit this one out. I'm not big on the 2d fighters at the best of times, but I'm definitely not hardcore enough for this one! :lol:
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

Sega Rally Championship, Gauntlet, Tomb Raider, and King's Quest V are boss.

Pacmania is an interesting choice...and I look forward to playing through LOTMN, Fantasy Zone, Virtua Tennis, Bioshock, and Weaponlord with all of you!
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

BogusMeatFactory wrote:Bioshock will be 10 years. Although I dont really see it as retro it is what it is. The game is great and has huge significance. Outside of that I think the list is great.

Holy shit, that makes me feel old.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

Post by BogusMeatFactory »

MrPopo wrote:
BogusMeatFactory wrote:Bioshock will be 10 years. Although I dont really see it as retro it is what it is. The game is great and has huge significance. Outside of that I think the list is great.

Holy shit, that makes me feel old.

On Key Glyphs vgm podcast a listener was talking about sharing a game from their childhood with their kid and ot was Bioshock. I was, "Bioshocked," by that.
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.