Together Retro: Street Fighter III

Join in on our classic gaming club!
J T
Next-Gen

Re: Together Retro: Street Fighter III

Post by J T »

Awww Street Fighter III. This game brings me back to my undergraduate days at the University of Utah, where they had this in the Union building near the cafeteria. I used to pick up a few battles between classes all the time back then.

My main fighter is Elena. I love her long range kicks. I used to play a more distant game of Street Fighter, with lots of jumpkicks and fireballs. SFIII really forced me out of my comfort zone and I learned how to play a better up close game, since Elena is only any good up close. The parry system really changes the gameplay from SFII and gets you really focused on anticipating your opponents moves so you can break them. I always liked SFIII because my SFII skills didn't really transfer that well since the people who knew how to parry and combo got the advantage over standard SFII tactics. It really is a whole other ball game.

My skills have really atrophied since back in the day, though a lot of it came back to me with time. Here is how this Together Retro went for me (playing on PS2's Street Fighter Anthology).

Stage 1- kicked ass
Stage 2- kicked ass
Stage 3... got my ass kicked. Chun-Li has always been my weakness with Elena. She gets me with her Super whenever I'm frozen from her blocking any number of my moves. It took around a dozen times to finally knock her out, but I worked out some of the kinks in my rusty game.
Then I beat everyone on the first go up until Makoto, the penultimate fighter. When she hits, she hits hard. She's also a good up close fighter, and therefore a tough match for Elena. I got her knocked out after 4 or 5 matches.

Then Gill. Motherfuckin' Gill. I hate this bastard. He's the kind of enemy that you just want to pummel because his character is so obnoxious to begin with. But, he's damn near impossible with that resurrection move and the rainbow shooting super that I don't know how to avoid. I managed to win a few rounds, but never got the knockout. I used curse words. I used a lot of curse words. After losing about 20 times, I eventually was so frustrated I was mashing the buttons to try to get the losing screens to zip by faster and I accidentally sped up the counter and knocked myself out of the game.

If I can recollect my patience, I may return for more later.
My contributions to the Racketboy site:
Browser Games ... Free PC Games ... Mixtapes ... Doujin Games ... SotC Poetry
sevin0seven
Next-Gen

Post by sevin0seven »

Flake wrote:Anyone down to play on PSN tonight?

Haven't played this in a while so this is a good excuse to jump on it again. Let's go Flake man!
Visit my stores: Mercari Store, sevin0seven RacketBoy Marketplace
Bay Area Cali: Meet-up Thread
Custom Art Covers & Labels: Click here
Game Room: Click here
tel3caster

Post by tel3caster »

I hope everyone here knows about Fightcade. Its essentially IRC+GGPO+Final Burn Alpha, or in laymen's terms, its a way for you to play arcade games against random people on the internet. Its been a great way for those of us who don't have either of the previous generation consoles or have stopped paying subscription fees. Please give it a try!

https://www.fightcade.com/#download
Flake

Post by Flake »

Lol, this may be the least successful TogRet ever! Anyone on tonight?
Maybe now Nintendo will acknowledge Metroid has a fanbase?
artphotodude
8-bit

Post by artphotodude »

racketboy wrote:One of my all time favorites!
http://www.racketboy.com/together-retro ... ighter-iii

My favorite characters to battle with (in order):
Ken
Ibuki
Chun Li
Remy

Characters I probably struggle against the most:
Ryu
Elena

How about you?

Very True. I remember at the time it was in the arcades it's edgy-style impressed everyone, but a lot of players were really intimidated by the complexity. 2-in-1 hits and hit priority really count in this game, and with only 1 super, you had to save it for just the right time. Have actually seen players, who took the time to really learn it, get their enemy to pixel from dead and finish them with a taunt! A terrific game for hardcore fans.
"You wouldn't have won if we'd beaten you"
— Yogi Berra