Post by racketboy »

DAYTONA!
Who's up for this classic racer?

http://www.racketboy.com/together-retro ... aytona-usa
ExedExes
Next-Gen

Re: Together Retro: Daytona USA

Post by ExedExes »

I will be playing it on Dreamcast. I have decent times on many of the tracks but I know I can do better.
Xeogred wrote:The obvious answer is that it's time for the Dreamcast 2.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

Unfortunately, whilst I have a soft spot for a lot of old arcadey racers, Daytona USA is not one of them. I had the Championship Edition or whatever it was called on Saturn, but I just found it unplayable.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

Good excuse to pull out my Saturn Wheel! I don't recall ever "beating" this one so it seems good month to try...
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

Post by Gunstar Green »

This is a classic example of a game I absolutely love but am absolutely terrible at.

I spent a lot of time with the Deluxe Edition on PC in the 90's though I have it on Dreamcast and 360 now. The Dreamcast port is pretty touchy with the controller but the 360 port is really great.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

I recently played through this for the summer games challenge (along with Virtua Racing and Sega Rally Championship). The Dreamcast port is spectacular, and I highly recommend it.

It really is a great racing game, and it is a lot deeper than I anticipated. 777 speedway is still my favorite track, but all of the courses are well-designed. The computer also races very, very well, and ranking first on some of the later tracks is nearly impossible with the default cars and the default number of laps. (Accordingly, I recommend increasing the number of laps so that you have an opportunity to win some of the later races.)

I really do hope that some of you take the time to play this. It is probably the best classic Sega racing game, and playing through it gave me a new appreciation for arcade racers.
Hazerd
Next-Gen

Post by Hazerd »

Might pick this up on PSN, remaster looks awesome.
Duane Dibbley
128-bit

Post by Duane Dibbley »

I got my Saturn during the "3 Free Games" promo, so I put in a lot of time with the original version. I liked it well enough, but as never into it enough to get CCE. The soundtrack is something special. I also like how you can race as automatic or manual horses.
My games for sale: Racketboy, Amazon, eBay
My systems: NES, Nintendo 64, GameCube (Game Boy Player), Wii / Game & Watch: Ball, Game Boy Advance, Game Boy Advance SP (x2), Nintendo DSi / Genesis (Sega CD, 32X), Saturn / Game Gear / PlayStation, PlayStation 2 / Xbox / Mac (Windows PC) / iPhone, iPad
ExedExes
Next-Gen

Post by ExedExes »

Here are some times from the DC port. The first three were all defaults (Hornet/MT, Medium Tire, laps and entry cars from arcade)

3-7 Speedway (40 cars, blurry pic, but 2'24" is respectable!)

Dinosaur Canyon (30 cars)

Seaside Street Galaxy (20 cars)

Having unlocked all the special cars, I did a SSG re-attempt with Pywackett Barchetta Super/Soft Tires, making it the best grip car in the game at the cost of lower max speed.
Xeogred wrote:The obvious answer is that it's time for the Dreamcast 2.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

Nice times, ExedExes!

I am glad to see that I am not the only one who has trouble finishing the other courses in first place with the default cars. (I wonder if it is even possible to finish in first place with the default cars on those courses with the "default" number of laps. You have to make up a lot of ground to move from 15th place to first place...)