Together Retro: Puyo Puyo

Join in on our classic gaming club!
Rokogu
24-bit

Re: Together Retro: Puyo Puyo

Post by Rokogu »

Like most, my first introduction to the series was MBM. For the past few weeks, I have been playin' Puyo Puyo 1 and 2 on Super Famicom. That damn AI is tough to beat!
Betagam7
128-bit

Post by Betagam7 »

I just got one of those little nano arcade plug and play joysticks today. It happens to have the Japanese Megadrive version of Puyo Puyo on it so I guess I can add that one to my comparison list.
Had a quick go and died on the first character!
Rokogu
24-bit

Post by Rokogu »

Betagam7 wrote:I just got one of those little nano arcade plug and play joysticks today. It happens to have the Japanese Megadrive version of Puyo Puyo on it so I guess I can add that one to my comparison list.
Had a quick go and died on the first character!

The AI can be pretty brutal! even in MBM, i could never get passed the 2nd character.
ExedExes
Next-Gen

Post by ExedExes »

I had quite a time with Round 2 of MBM. My newest tough spot is Round 6.
Xeogred wrote:The obvious answer is that it's time for the Dreamcast 2.
Betagam7
128-bit

Post by Betagam7 »

So I tried my 'Brain Games Colour' @tgames console and found it's actually the SMS version of Mean Bean Machine on that one.

This now gives me the options of :

NGPC: Puyo Pop
Wonderswan: Puyo Puyo 2
Megadrive Nano Arcade: Puyo Puyo (Japanese)
Brain Games Colour - SMS: Dr Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine
Fun Gear/Game Gear - Dr. Robotniks Mean Bean Machine
Megadrive (knockoff handhelds): Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine
Famicom (knockoff handheld) - Puyo Puyo

I never realised I owned so many variations!
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

Spent a long time playing Puyo Puyo Tsuu.

Despite starting off deceptively easier, I have to say that this game is overall significantly more difficult than the first.

I have the game save stated just before the final boss on my Retron. I spent 2 hours on him yesterday and was raging too hard to carry on for now :lol:
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

Is it only me still going?

I finished off Super Puyo Puyo Tsuu Remix. Stage 18 (the boss I was on in my last post) was an absolute nightmare and took me at least another 30 attempts. The next 2 stages weren't too bad though - I beat the final boss on Stage 20 on my first attempt, similarly to the final boss of the original Puyo Puyo. Turns out Satan is pretty bad at puzzle games.

Anyhow, Super Puyo Puyo Tsuu started much easier, but ended EXPONENTIALLY harder than the first. I would say that this is up there with the likes of Ninja Gaiden, Ecco The Dolphin and Punch-Out in terms of difficult games I've beaten.

The game's ending shows your stats on this playthrough, including your number of continues. Mine was 99(!). However, I strongly suspect there were only 2 digits to display the number and that I actually used WAY over 100 continues to beat the game, about 2/3rds of which were on stage 18 and another 1/3 was on, oddly enough, Stage 6.

Puyo Puyo Tsuu is a fun game in multiplayer, but with the difficulty so ridiculously high, I didn't much enjo the single player campaign at all :cry:
Betagam7
128-bit

Post by Betagam7 »

Interestingly I noted 2 things about the Wonderswan version.

1. It seems to be exactly the same game as Puyo Pop on the NGPC (except in black and white).

2. Because it is black and white it doesn't actually use puyos as pieces but different shapes instead. I guess this is because the screen on the WS (even my Swan Crystal) is so hard to see that trying to make out different shades of grey would be impossibly frustrating.
Betagam7
128-bit

Post by Betagam7 »

I played through and beat the wonderswan version this afternoon while it was nice and bright and sunny enough to manage to see the screen.

It is identical (bar the graphical differences) to Puyo Pop on the NGPC.

I did,however, discover a tactic I hadn't come across on that version. Clearing all your Puyos from the screen gives you some kind of flashing character. The next time you line up four puyos it flies across to the opponent and drops an absolute crap ton of bricks on his or her side of the screen. This can pretty much end an enemy and helped me beat some of the trickier characters.
ExedExes
Next-Gen

Post by ExedExes »

Yes, some versions give you a bonus for "ALL CLEAR", but on the GBA and GC I haven't seen what exactly it does. I'll be back to them this weekend.
Xeogred wrote:The obvious answer is that it's time for the Dreamcast 2.