Together Retro: Pitfall

Join in on our classic gaming club!
TEKTORO
Next-Gen

Re: Together Retro: Pitfall

Post by TEKTORO »

Bummer to hear Mayan Adventures sucks, from pictures it looks like something I'd wanna play. Lol

Pitfall II I will definitely give it a good shot, I kinda tried it back to back after playing the others so maybe I wasn't interested at the moment. I only made it 3 screens in and kept getting knocked back by that bird, my reaction kept wanting me to duck (which you can't) so I'll just have to time my jump. Just curious though please tell me throughout the game if you get hit you don't get knocked back to the beginning, I know in the original your points are your health per say which I like.
If you can see the future while remembering the past, you may just have control of the present.
ExedExes
Next-Gen

Post by ExedExes »

TEKTORO wrote:Pitfall II WTF when you get hit it sends you all the way to the beginning!! That's horrible :(

Not exactly. The red space where you start is your first checkpoint. There are more of those throughout the game, and once you find one and walk over it, the next time you get hit, you will start at the new checkpoint. I was never able to make it to the next one, so I can't tell you where it is :lol:

TEKTORO wrote:Just curious though please tell me throughout the game if you get hit you don't get knocked back to the beginning

I believe I just did!
Last edited by ExedExes on Wed Feb 03, 2016 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Xeogred wrote:The obvious answer is that it's time for the Dreamcast 2.
TEKTORO
Next-Gen

Post by TEKTORO »

ExedExes wrote:
TEKTORO wrote:Pitfall II WTF when you get hit it sends you all the way to the beginning!! That's horrible :(

Not exactly. The red space where you start is your first checkpoint. There are more of those throughout the game, and once you find one and walk over it, the next time you get hit, you will start at the new checkpoint. I was never able to make it to the next one, so I can't tell you where it is :lol:

Hilarious, thanks seems much more tangible now.
If you can see the future while remembering the past, you may just have control of the present.
strangenova
Next-Gen

Post by strangenova »

noiseredux wrote:
TEKTORO wrote:I'd like to hear some about Mayan Adventures too since I don't have any systems that run it.

my first impression of Mayan Adventure (on Sega CD) is that it kind of sucks. It looks great, but it just feels... off. First of all the default settings have you shoot and jump "backwards" if you know what I mean. Luckily you can change the settings in the menu. But c'mon. At any rate things just feel so floaty and weird. And it's sometimes tough to figure out what is foreground and what is background. But in fairness, I didn't give the game much chance yet. So I'll report back.

I will second this opinion. A few months ago a buddy of mine was begging me to pick this up and play it. I got it for the genesis, and yeah floaty controls, combined with strange hit boxes and it's impossible to tell what you can and can't jump on. It looks good but its so very off.
So yeah just look at it, cause it doesn't get better as the game goes.
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Post by samsonlonghair »

If you want to play an improved version of Pitfal the Mayan Adventure, check out Jungle Book for Genesis. Jungle Book uses a lot of the same assets, but it's a better game. Disney/Sega ftw!
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

fuck these alligators.
touchofkiel
32-bit

Post by touchofkiel »

Check out the version on the Activision Anthology for PSP... it plays awesome 80s music in the background.

I'll be trying my hand at the first two Atari games, then see how the PS1 and Sega CD versions fare. If I can stomach more/if I have time, I'll give the PS2/GC version a spin.
I review (mostly old) games at: The Annals of Retrodom.
ExedExes
Next-Gen

Post by ExedExes »

touchofkiel wrote:Check out the version on the Activision Anthology for PSP... it plays awesome 80s music in the background.

So does the PC version of the Anthology! The PC port also has a lot more homebrews that are halfway decent, I think it has the most games of all of them.
ExedExes
Next-Gen

Post by ExedExes »

I guess we all fell into pits, here.

The GBA Anthology is a hair slower than the 2600, but I still managed to do well. My latest score is 49,886, enough to unlock the Explorer's Club patch.
mas
Next-Gen

Post by mas »

I have pitfall on the 2600 and Wii. I never really played both. Does anyone know how pitfall 3D was like? I think I had a demo but not sure or remember the game