Together Retro: Pitfall

Join in on our classic gaming club!
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Together Retro: Pitfall

Post by noiseredux »

Who's playing? Which port?

I picked up Mayan Adventure on Sega CD which has the 2600 game as a bonus.

I've always enjoyed Pitfall, though I've never beaten it.

http://www.racketboy.com/together-retro ... ub-pitfall
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Re: Together Retro: Pitfall

Post by samsonlonghair »

Oh, It's Pitfall! month. Heck, yes! I'm in like Flynn.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

I'll hit it up sometime this month. Original Atari 2600 cart.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

I just went and played the Atari 2600 version using this site:

http://www.virtualatari.org/

Got killed by a scorpion in less than 10 seconds.

Got ate by an alligator in less than one minute.

Fell into a lake and drowned in less than two minutes.

Yep, I've been sucking butt at this game for over thirty years now. I have a soft spot for Pitfall though because it was the first Atari 2600 game I ever played.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
ExedExes
Next-Gen

Post by ExedExes »

I've got the original 2600 cartridge as well as the Anthology for PC and GBA; for convenience sake I'll be playing on GBA.

You're going to need to know where the underground passages lead if you want to get all the points and see all the screens.

It's a good time for a short game, because I'm a little busy with the Yolympics for the entire month.
Xeogred wrote:The obvious answer is that it's time for the Dreamcast 2.
TEKTORO
Next-Gen

Post by TEKTORO »

Actually excited to play this month, got this version which includes the originals!
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (390.57 KiB) Viewed 5759 times
If you can see the future while remembering the past, you may just have control of the present.
Fragems
Next-Gen

Post by Fragems »

I probably have 6-10 versions of this game :lol: .
TEKTORO
Next-Gen

Post by TEKTORO »

Man Pitfall is a pretty interesting series, I started up with Lost Expeditions last night so here are some first impressions!

I wasn't expecting much with this entry having those weird blocky character designs from the original Xbox era and noticed Harry has only 4 fingers with big hands, however he happens to be pretty funny as well as some of the cutscenes. The game presents very nice colors, decent level design and to my surprise is massive with a metroidvania flow such as exploring having to finding upgrades to access new areas Harry can even roll like Samus! It very much feels like a Pitfall game brought into a 3D world sorta Mario64 blended with Tomb Raider lush environments as well as puzzle platforming.

Ok so I'm talking this up pretty good so far but this is my initial thoughts, there are a few problems such as cameras when jumping vine to vine which is pretty discouraging and needs persistence. However in the name of TR I'm not giving up, another gripe would be some frustration with not knowing where to go with backtracking to be quite a pain. All in all the game is cool Imo, some will like and others probably won't still I consider it a nice gem and glad to add it to my collection.

Pitfall I & II is included on this disc via codes/unlockables so add that to you compilation list. Playing both last night as well I can say Pitfall was pure nostalgia and Pitfall II WTF when you get hit it sends you all the way to the beginning!! That's horrible :(

I went ahead and ordered Pitfall 3-D for PS1 so I'm excited to get that and it looks like I'm hooked for the month. I'd like to hear some about Mayan Adventures too since I don't have any systems that run it.
If you can see the future while remembering the past, you may just have control of the present.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

TEKTORO wrote:I'd like to hear some about Mayan Adventures too since I don't have any systems that run it.

my first impression of Mayan Adventure (on Sega CD) is that it kind of sucks. It looks great, but it just feels... off. First of all the default settings have you shoot and jump "backwards" if you know what I mean. Luckily you can change the settings in the menu. But c'mon. At any rate things just feel so floaty and weird. And it's sometimes tough to figure out what is foreground and what is background. But in fairness, I didn't give the game much chance yet. So I'll report back.

You can access OG Pitfall on the main title menu screen by pressing: Down, A (x26), Down. The only thing that sucks is after you lose all 3 lives, you're bounced back to the Mayan Adventure title screen and have to do that long-ass code again to get back to OG Pitfall.

Ideally, I want to memorize the route to find all 32 treasures so I can finally beat the game this month.
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Post by samsonlonghair »

TEKTORO wrote:Pitfall I & II is included on this disc via codes/unlockables so add that to you compilation list. Playing both last night as well I can say Pitfall was pure nostalgia and Pitfall II WTF when you get hit it sends you all the way to the beginning!! That's horrible :(

Dude, Pitfall II is amazing. Give it another chance. The game is so much deeper than the first.