Together Retro: Mortal Kombat Trilogy

Join in on our classic gaming club!
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Re: Together Retro: Mortal Kombat Trilogy

Post by Exhuminator »

BogusMeatFactory wrote:Those are the most awkward motions in a fighting game and takes practice to actually pull off.

That's the point.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Ack

Post by Ack »

BogusMeatFactory wrote:I don't get any of this conversation as the Street Fighter, "Style," of inputs is asinine outside of the quarter circle movements.

I think it makes sense. A lot of it is designed around you adeptly using a joystick. And don't forget, certain characters have moves based on rapidly pressing a single button, such as Chun Li or Gen.

BogusMeatFactory wrote:Hold back and then forward and punch. How long do you hold back? Oh I don't know, just whenever!

It's about half a second, and you can do it while crouching. Plus, since you're holding back, you're blocking and protecting yourself. I generally don't care for charge moves myself, but once you get the timing down, it's actually quite easy to pull off.

BogusMeatFactory wrote:With Mortal Kombat moves, it is simple direction inputs.

Yes, but most Street Fighter moves are designed in such a way that your thumb will never leave the d-pad at any point. With the MK series, you're pecking a lot of the time. A few moves can be faked with quarter-circle movements, but you need to pull your finger back for a lot of it. It makes it subtly harder to react and flow the way SF does. That's why the MK series experimented more with pre-built combos. There are timing tricks to learn to get more of a flow, but it takes a while to build up to that, like putting in directional inputs while airborne or in the middle of other special moves so you can unleash them immediately upon touching the ground or finishing the attack animation.

BogusMeatFactory wrote:Sure, you have to actually look at a move list to figure out what those moves are versus every character in the Street Fighter roster having one of three move motions.

I kind of like this aspect, as it means switching characters is a little less of a hassle.

BogusMeatFactory wrote:What do I know though... I just play Virtua Fighter.

As a fellow VF fan, this leads me to think your entire post should have been written in blue text.
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

Post by BogusMeatFactory »

Hahaha blue text would have been nice. That was written early in the morning, I'm sick, no sleep, everything sucks grah! But seriously, virtua fighter is a lot of pecking inputs as well, but they feel a lot more natural than mortal kombat.
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.
Ack

Post by Ack »

BogusMeatFactory wrote:Hahaha blue text would have been nice. That was written early in the morning, I'm sick, no sleep, everything sucks grah! But seriously, virtua fighter is a lot of pecking inputs as well, but they feel a lot more natural than mortal kombat.

Yeah, I think they work better in 3D fighters. Those games have an entirely different flow to them, and they usually don't rely on such complex motions due to the z-axis. When they do...well, see how well it worked for MK in 3D? They pulled it off, but there were a lot of pre-set combos, and the games never quite flowed as well as the VF series.

That said, I could still pull off some devastating combos with Scorpion in games like Deadly Alliance. From Hapkido, hit with Spear, pull off his Infernal pre-set combo, finish with a 3x juggle, and then time your Sudden Hellfire right, and you're looking at half a healthbar gone. That was bread and butter to me.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

Ack summed things up better than I could. With Mortal Kombat I always feel like when I want to pull off a special move I need to pause and think about it, whereas with Street Fighter it's easier to work in to whatever else I'm doing at the time.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
nightrnr
Next-Gen

Post by nightrnr »

I own this for all 3 consoles (ps1, Saturn, and N64).
My favorite is probably the N64 version... love that 3 on 3 action. Makes it into a KOF tournament in a way.
Favorite character is a tie between Sub-Zero and Baraka. But I like several others too.

I suck at entering most fatalities correctly though.

I will try to fire it up at least once before the month ends, MK demands a particular mood for me to play.
...just another lost soul...
ExedExes
Next-Gen

Post by ExedExes »

Anyone try Puzzle Kombat on the DS version of Ultimate Mortal Kombat? It's just like another fighting based puzzle game we played earlier this year.... (but just as good!)
Xeogred wrote:The obvious answer is that it's time for the Dreamcast 2.