Together Retro: Mega Man X

Join in on our classic gaming club!
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Re: Together Retro: Mega Man X

Post by noiseredux »

my PC version arrived today. I can get it to load up - just drag the MMXRUN.EXE over to DOSbox, as this is apparently a DOS port. Hmm.

BUT, the controller is throwing it off. The 360 analog stick must confuse the game and it keeps scrolling down in the menu for instance. So I need to figure out how to fix that.

EDIT:

OK, so I went into the DOSBox Options and changed the joystick settings to get USB pads to work better - and switched to my USB SNES pad.

I also found that playing from disc froze it after the first level, so I mounted the CD in DOSBox and installed it and now everything's working great. 8)
Omerta
Next-Gen

Post by Omerta »

SNESdrunk wrote:
MrPopo wrote:Good luck on Storm Eagle with that madness.

I used to start on Storm Eagle

Ditto. Or the penguin. I haven't ever looked up the most efficient level progression to get all of the power ups and secret items.

X is the first Mega Man I beat. That was probably 20 years ago so it should be interesting to take the plunge once again.
"Farewell, good hunter.
May you find your worth
in the waking world."
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

I beat MMX on the real hardware in 1993. I rented MMX2 in 1994 but only got halfway through it. I owned MMX3 and made it to the final boss (again on real hardware), but I couldn't beat it. That was in 1998 though. I bet I could pull it off now. I've beaten all the Mega Man Zero games, and they make the X games look like a joke as far as difficulty goes.

I'll tell you what I didn't expect though, that Mega Man ZX would be a good game. It was indeed a good game. I need to play Advent sometime this year. You Mega Man folks gotta check the ZX series out sometime. It's basically Mega Man metroidvania.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
o.pwuaioc
Next-Gen

Post by o.pwuaioc »

My order:

Chill Penguin
Flame Mammoth
Spark Mandrill
Armored Armadillo
Launch Octopus
Boomer Kuwanger
Sting Chameleon
Storm Eagle

Some explanations for the unusual order:

1. I feel that Chill Penguin is by far the easiest to beat without upgrades, plus you get the slide in this stage.

2. Flame Mammoth's stage is iced over if you've already beaten Chill Penguin, which is good because then you can get the Buster Upgrade, which is pretty-damn useful to get early on.

3. It seemed that Boomer Kuwanger's stage is easier if you have the Flame Wave, but that could have been childhood me imaging things.

Also, MMX imo is way, way, way better than MMX4*, though I'll give ya that MMX4 is better than MMX2 or MMX3. MMX6 is also an underrated game.

*probably because of nostalgia
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

Yeah i think 1 and 4 are amazing, but 1 wins thanks to nostalgia.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

Flake wrote:Megaman X7 and X8 are hard to even consider part of the same game series. They have some merit but they feel utterly bizarre and detached from the core of what made the series what it is.

Totally forgot they existed until reading this.

I don't think X6 is horrible, but the weakest for sure with some broken level design and mechanics (the weird boss scaling). They completely messed up the plot though, where X5 had this insane cliffhanger alluding to the original series. But I would argue the plot messes up around X3, in X2 (I believe) it is heavily suggested that the only way for the fighting to stop would be for Zero, Wily's final creation, to be destroyed. What better insane finale could have topped an epic battle with X and Zero mutually dueling it out at the end of one of the games? Capcom didn't have balls for this though.

The Zero games have a very nice conclusive plot though, and damn that finale is bonkers. You can't do anything more with that one, which is a good thing! It told its story.

Yeah I take the plot and ideas in these a bit too seriously.

Anyways for X1 it is absolutely essential for me to play Chill Penguin first for the dash boots. X feels so off without it, since it's defaulted into the rest of the series. The dashing/wall jumping mechanic gives it a different edge over the original games.

X1 to me has the most heavy metal styled OST, can't get enough. Sigma Stage 1 is probably one of my all time favorites... that's FFIV Final Dungeon level music right there.

I've always liked the SNES games more than X4, but X4 is awesome and had anime cutscenes that were cool. When they got too lazy for that in X5 and X6, you could tell they weren't trying as hard. Also I think there's only a 6 month gap between the release of X5 and X6 or something weird, and both were budget $30 releases at the time.

X1 isn't that hard, but I think X2 is the easiest... final boss wise too by miles, it's a joke if you know the bare bones essentials to wall jumping and dodging.

Megaman > Mario/Sonic
o.pwuaioc
Next-Gen

Post by o.pwuaioc »

X7 isn't pure 2D, so it doesn't count. I never played X8 and I have no intention to do so.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

o.pwuaioc wrote:X7 isn't pure 2D, so it doesn't count. I never played X8 and I have no intention to do so.

spoilers, it's shit

They brought back Vile and made him green. Instant 0/10.

It has that nasty pseudo 2D/3D ploygon style going on.

Final boss has pits that can kill you instantly.

That's all I remember now.
o.pwuaioc
Next-Gen

Post by o.pwuaioc »

Xeogred wrote:It has that nasty pseudo 2D/3D ploygon style going on.

Yeah, I saw some footage of it. I hate that style. I even detest it in my shmups. I've sold otherwise decent shooters for having that style. Bring back the pretty!
Nyukki
128-bit

Post by Nyukki »

Will pick up the Super Famicom version at some point this week. Loved the NES series as a kid but never gave the X series a proper go. Looking forward to this.
Weekend shmupper