Together Retro: Super Puzzle Fighter

Join in on our classic gaming club!
the7k
Next-Gen

Re: Together Retro: Super Puzzle Fighter

Post by the7k »

I just got a CIB Puzzle Fighter on Saturn not too long ago. Maybe I'll give it a shot now.

Puzzle Fighter is still definitely one of the games I need on CPS2. I'd love to have it + Gem Fighter in a cab together on a JAMMA switcher, that'd just be the bees knees.
flojocabron
Next-Gen

Post by flojocabron »

I'm dropping a nightly info bomb on this thread to get it started. Maybe you can choose which version you want to play?

I have this game on three platforms and I tried them all for a bit.

I have the PS1, PSP and Dreamcast versions. Please feel free to post if the other versions of this game match the ones I'll be talking about.

ps1

psp
Part of this collection Image

Dreamcast
ImageBut I wish I had this one! I burned it. Since I'm a bad boy :twisted: here's a link to where you can burn a cooler version along with some other stuff! http://www.theisozone.com/downloads/dreamcast/dreamcast-isos/capcom-fighting-collection-disc/piracy is a no-no! Do as I say not as I do :wink:

I am most familiar with the PS1 version of puzzle fighter since I played it a whole bunch back in the day. It has a few modes that aren't included on the other ones.

I've never played the saturn game, but I'm going to assume that the Saturn version will be the same as the PS1. Unless someone out here can prove me wrong!

To add more meat to the game, the ps1 version has a "Street Puzzle mode" wherein you have to unlock the alternate colors of the characters and their voices and some other random things. Including a song! It serves as good practice too, so there's nothing wrong with that.

The PS1 game also has certain cheat codes to play as certain special characters. I have not found a way to input these on the DC and PSP. I remember these codes from way back in the day. I'll leave it to you guys/gals to figure them out. :?:

As far as I can tell, the game on the dreamcast is pretty much the same on the PSP. Lets just say that the PSP is a port of the Dreamcast game. But the psp is also a compilation with some more games too. Other than the name changes of certain characters and the language barrier on the JPN Dreamcast game, The puzzle fighter game on psp looks very much the same. Albeit on a smaller screen

But there is no "Street puzzle mode" on these. Everything is already unlocked from the get go!

One thing that is present on the DC and PSP version is an edit mode not found on the PS1 game. You can edit the dumped blocks to customize when you play with someone else or the computer. I have yet to try this, but I dont think I'll have the patience to do this anyways.

One thing I did find a little different about the PSP version from the DC and PS1 version is the speed of the game. I talked a little about this a page back.

It takes a little bit to get used to, if you played the console version more, its going to seem slightly different. But the psp puzzle fighter does play a little bit faster! It may throw you off a little bit if your used to playing on the tv. But with some practice you can get it. Now it just depends on you which one you want to play! On tv or on the go?

Now on to the modes!

There are different modes to the revisions of the game. These are not present on the PS1 game. There is an X, Y, and Z game.

X is the same puzzle fighter game since day one. Its most likely the one everybody has played. Use the round crash gem to break up its similar colored blocks of various sizes.

Y has a different play mechanic. It has more of a SEGA COLUMNS feel to it. Line up three small blocks at different angles to make them disappear.

Z feels a lot like Lumines/tetris attack. You rotate the small blocks in a four panel square to combine them together. You use a round crash gem to explode them once you bring them together.

In my opinion, I like Z mode more than Y. I guess you need to strategize more when you play on Y mode. But for me it kinda ruins the pace of the game. But you guys/gals give it a try and see which one you like best.

If any of you have any questions, please leave a comment!

There are some strategies to this game. We can talk about them too.
2600 and jr,5200,nes/top loader, master system, intellivision, TG-16, genesis 1,2,3, SNES, snesJR, CDX, 3DOfz10, gamegear, gameboy and pocket, GBC, sega saturn, PSOne w/screen, Virtual Boy, N64, NGPC, Gameboy Advance sp, Dreamcast, Black Dreamcast, oXBOX, Playstation 2, PStwo, Gamecube, gameboy player, DS lite,DSi XL, PSP1000/3000,Wii,PS3 120gb,3DSXL, xbox 360, PSvita, PS4
emwearz
Next-Gen

Post by emwearz »

Gunstar Green wrote:I have this on the Capcom Digital Collection disk for 360 but I've never really messed with it because puzzle games aren't my forte. I'll give it a shot sometime this month.

Because of this I have the game as well, did not remember until I read this post. I might give it a play and post what I thought, but similar I don't really play many puzzle games.
TSTR
Next-Gen

Post by TSTR »

Spent a little time with this in MAME. 1CC'd Easy with Sakura, then got a little over halfway into Normal with Hsien-Ko before putting it down. This is one of those games I'd always been aware of, but never checked out for some reason. Unique puzzle mechanics, good fun.
Melek-Ric
32-bit

Post by Melek-Ric »

This is a timely TR. The HD remix version of this is on sale on Xbox Live. TODAY is the last day of the sale however! $2.50 if you're a gold member, $3.30 if not.

http://xbldb.com/offers/001-ebd

I've only ever played a little of the game. My old roommate was a huge fan.
"Challenging my unit was both foolish and reckless! You are nothing more than my prey... one that is soon to be retired!"
ExedExes
Next-Gen

Post by ExedExes »

The GBA port also has the Street Puzzle mode as well as hidden characters; my cartridge's save file has it nearly complete already :lol: I'll back it up to the Retron 5 and then nuke it so I can give it a try.
Xeogred wrote:The obvious answer is that it's time for the Dreamcast 2.
kikenovic
8-bit

Post by kikenovic »

I barely remember playing this one on the Dreamcast. This month I'll give it a shot on the Saturn.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

ripped my PS1 copy onto my Shield. This is a game I've played A LOT of over the years. Actually, as far as I can think of I've played every single port of it except the Windows version. Anyway, my goal for this month is to re-unlock everything in Street Puzzle Mode. I've got 3/6 of Ryu's stars done now. It's actually been about a year or so since I last played, and I'm definitely rusty right now. Haha.
kikenovic
8-bit

Post by kikenovic »

Just gave it another shot last night. Relaxing at first, piling up gems, waiting for the orb , managing combos, but ready for when things get ugly.

After playing SPF I popped in good ol Capcom generation vol 5. That's gonna be the "strategy" this month, enjoy SPF then enjoy a good Capcom fighter. Man I miss those days when Capcom used to be cool.
Sload Soap
Next-Gen

Post by Sload Soap »

I did a quick arcade run as Akuma. Playing on the 360 version. I like it but I'm also like this:

Fun game though. I like the cute interludes but the HD remix looks a bit weird to me.