Join in on our classic gaming club!
User avatar
Erik_Twice
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 6251
Joined: Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:22 am
Location: Madrid, Spain

Re: Together Retro: River City Ransom

by Erik_Twice Wed Feb 04, 2015 7:49 am

I thought the game wwasn't going to be very good but so far my impression is positive. The characters control very well. which I didn't expect from a NES title. Still, I don't know what's the difference between a kick and a punch and most enemies seem trivial, a few button smashing lets you clear any area.

I've been told by Slick's girlfriend to go to the high school, which is the starting area but I can't get in. What am I doing wrong?
Looking for a cool game? Find it in my blog!
Latest post: Often, games must be difficult
http://eriktwice.com/
User avatar
noiseredux
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 37933
Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2008 1:09 pm

Re: Together Retro: River City Ransom

by noiseredux Wed Feb 04, 2015 7:57 am

I don't think she meant your high school. I know you can't enter yours in the nes version.
Image
User avatar
KalessinDB
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 2461
Joined: Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:07 pm

Re: Together Retro: River City Ransom

by KalessinDB Wed Feb 04, 2015 8:33 am

I played the hell out of this as a kid, but I don't know if I ever beat it. If I did, it was long ago. I might have to give this one a shot if I can tear myself away from my new big red baby long enough to play anything else this month.

I even remember the secret shop. I don't remember what you bought there, but I remember where it is.
Gunning for a licensed NES NTSC-U set, follow the madness and poverty here!
Cheat sheet of my collection, always looking to increase it. 405/677 licensed games, 46/"95" unlicensed
Chronically out of date BST thread
User avatar
ExedExes
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 7334
Joined: Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:56 pm
Location: HI-POINT AREA

Re: Together Retro: River City Ransom

by ExedExes Wed Feb 04, 2015 12:19 pm

Erik_Twice wrote:I thought the game wwasn't going to be very good but so far my impression is positive. The characters control very well. which I didn't expect from a NES title. Still, I don't know what's the difference between a kick and a punch and most enemies seem trivial, a few button smashing lets you clear any area.

I've been told by Slick's girlfriend to go to the high school, which is the starting area but I can't get in. What am I doing wrong?

The ultimate goal is River City H.S., but to get in make sure to visit every area and clear it all out because there's a number of bosses you have to beat before you can even get inside.

Remember Benny and Clyde are easily beat for good money in 2 locations (under the bridge and outside the sauna)
Image
Xeogred wrote:The obvious answer is that it's time for the Dreamcast 2.
User avatar
noiseredux
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 37933
Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2008 1:09 pm

Re: Together Retro: River City Ransom

by noiseredux Wed Feb 04, 2015 12:23 pm

ExedExes wrote:Remember Benny and Clyde are easily beat for good money in 2 locations (under the bridge and outside the sauna)


hell yeah. I grinded out 10,000 yen easy there early on.
Image
User avatar
Erik_Twice
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 6251
Joined: Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:22 am
Location: Madrid, Spain

Re: Together Retro: River City Ransom

by Erik_Twice Wed Feb 04, 2015 12:55 pm

ExedExes wrote:The ultimate goal is River City H.S., but to get in make sure to visit every area and clear it all out because there's a number of bosses you have to beat before you can even get inside.

Ah, I see so the starting high school is not River City H.S, but yours. I guess you are supposed to beat up the leader of your rival school or something like that, right? (I should read the manual sometime)
Looking for a cool game? Find it in my blog!
Latest post: Often, games must be difficult
http://eriktwice.com/
User avatar
alienjesus
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 8186
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 7:10 pm
Location: London, UK.

Re: Together Retro: River City Ransom

by alienjesus Wed Feb 04, 2015 1:30 pm

nullPointer wrote:
Stark wrote:Not sure all of the ins and outs of buying food or maxing out your power.
This is the one aspect of the game for which I feel a guide comes in particularly handy. There are a ton of purchasable items and moves in this game, without a lot of explanation regarding the resultant effects.


I remember the move which lets you kick 3 times quickly being the absolute best in the game. It hits ridiculously hard and wipes the floor with your typical enemy.
Image
User avatar
ExedExes
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 7334
Joined: Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:56 pm
Location: HI-POINT AREA

Re: Together Retro: River City Ransom

by ExedExes Wed Feb 04, 2015 6:24 pm

alienjesus wrote:I remember the move which lets you kick 3 times quickly being the absolute best in the game. It hits ridiculously hard and wipes the floor with your typical enemy.

The move books should be an early goal for purchasing. Grand Slam is expensive but it's worth it too. You don't need a lot of the offensive stats if you get those books early, but it's important to raise STAMINA and WILL POWER especially near the end.
Image
Xeogred wrote:The obvious answer is that it's time for the Dreamcast 2.
User avatar
TSTR
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 5656
Joined: Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:55 am
Location: Durham, NC

Re: Together Retro: River City Ransom

by TSTR Wed Feb 04, 2015 6:39 pm

Played some today. Dragon Feet is indeed awesome, definitely make that an early purchase. I think I'm about to fight the last of the Zombies--Thor. Thank god for save states, no way I'm using that password system.
User avatar
ExedExes
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 7334
Joined: Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:56 pm
Location: HI-POINT AREA

Re: Together Retro: River City Ransom

by ExedExes Thu Feb 05, 2015 12:31 am

Stark wrote:Not sure all of the ins and outs of buying food or maxing out your power.

Item lists and effects are all right here, just click on any shopping area you come across.
Image
Xeogred wrote:The obvious answer is that it's time for the Dreamcast 2.
Return to Together Retro

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests