Together Retro: River City Ransom

Join in on our classic gaming club!
joehero
32-bit

Re: Together Retro: River City Ransom

Post by joehero »

Im going to give this one a try. Never played it before, but heard it can be challenging. I will be playing the GBA version on my psp. This will allow me to play in any room of my house that my toddler pulls me to, also has save states.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

^ I still love your avatar, btw. :lol:
joehero
32-bit

Post by joehero »

Ziggy587 wrote:^ I still love your avatar, btw. :lol:

Thanks! I don't remember who helped me make it, but I do still own the game and it still does work. They don't make them like they use to, the slightest scratch and theyre done now.
ExedExes
Next-Gen

Post by ExedExes »

All right so I played EX again and forgot so many different features over the NES original.

- As I already mentioned, the Japanese style graphics and characters make it look more like the real Kunio-kun entry than the Americanized version we got. New gangs and also a new translation with each gang member more stereotypical than before (see The MOB)

- You can fight with additional characters unlocked through the course of the game, by performing certain actions, forming a "posse" of your very own.

- 2 bars for Stamina and Will Power.

- More moves and techniques besides the 6 you got on the NES.

- Items in stores are randomized instead of being the same everytime you go, therefore that means new items will also be available.
The best way to make money though is to stop at the Merlin Mystery Shop in the Thru Way Tunnel, buy a ton of $10 Lotto Tix and keep using them until you get 3rd prize ($1000) or 4th prize ($100) -- remember this game has a save feature (but it does NOT overwrite previous save files, it creates new ones, so the one below your current save file is the new, saved file, and you can delete the one above that).

That leaves you money to get the $999 Character scrolls also in Merlin's Shop which let you play as any of the bosses in the game, and their stats are exactly as they are in the game! It also creates a save file for each character you unlock, so imagine an uneven matchup like THIS -

As an aside, my cartridge, as good of a deal as it was, has been marred by this marker on the very top of it. Is there a cleaning guide on this site or any good advice on how to remove it? It seems the writing is on the back half of the shell, so I could just swap cartridge shells but if there was a way to remove it I'd rather do it that way. Pic follows -

Xeogred wrote:The obvious answer is that it's time for the Dreamcast 2.
nullPointer
128-bit

Post by nullPointer »

ExedExes wrote:As an aside, my cartridge, as good of a deal as it was, has been marred by this marker on the very top of it. Is there a cleaning guide on this site or any good advice on how to remove it? It seems the writing is on the back half of the shell, so I could just swap cartridge shells but if there was a way to remove it I'd rather do it that way. Pic follows -

In terms of removing permanent marker ink from games, I've tried a handful of the techniques described here. Of the ones that I've tried, I've had best luck using the dry erase marker method or alternately using a magic eraser (which should be noted is mildly abrasive). If you go the toothpaste route, it should be noted that Soft Scrub will do the same thing, but slightly more aggressively (which is also a mild abrasive!).
ExedExes
Next-Gen

Post by ExedExes »

nullPointer wrote:In terms of removing permanent marker ink from games, I've tried a handful of the techniques described here. Of the ones that I've tried, I've had best luck using the dry erase marker method or alternately using a magic eraser (which should be noted is mildly abrasive). If you go the toothpaste route, it should be noted that Soft Scrub will do the same thing, but slightly more aggressively (which is also a mild abrasive!).

Yeah I was thinking the Magic Eraser route. I'll check out the link. I'm hanging on to this game but I just wanted it to look halfway decent, and there's always the shell-swap method.
joehero
32-bit

Post by joehero »

Finished this game a few days ago. Howlongtobeat had it listed at 2 or 3 hours to complete. Which seemed pretty accurate. I did enjoy the game but I think I would have enjoyed it much more had I played it 1989. When you put together eating, barfing and animated butts you grab that teenage audience. Probably cutting edge for the time.

A couple of tips, most that have already been said, grind out some money and upgrade your stats. You will need them near the end. Also, when it comes to fighting, I found it best to keep right on the enemy. Don't give them room to attack. When you knock them down, start kicking them. When they get up knock them down again.
ExedExes
Next-Gen

Post by ExedExes »

On EX, you can just keep hitting them as they're down with weapons. There's also a handy number that appears over them when you do damage (much like Super Dodge Ball).
TSTR
Next-Gen

Post by TSTR »

Beat the NES version tonight. A combo of Dragon Feet and Texas Boots is pretty much unstoppable. Just grind Benny & Clyde outside Oak Hill Mall for the money, and then you're golden. Great game though, a surprising amount of depth for its time and genre, not to mention spot-on gameplay. Might play through the EX version to see the differences for myself.
KalessinDB
Next-Gen

Post by KalessinDB »

ExedExes wrote:
nullPointer wrote:In terms of removing permanent marker ink from games, I've tried a handful of the techniques described here. Of the ones that I've tried, I've had best luck using the dry erase marker method or alternately using a magic eraser (which should be noted is mildly abrasive). If you go the toothpaste route, it should be noted that Soft Scrub will do the same thing, but slightly more aggressively (which is also a mild abrasive!).

Yeah I was thinking the Magic Eraser route. I'll check out the link. I'm hanging on to this game but I just wanted it to look halfway decent, and there's always the shell-swap method.

Colorless Blending Marker. From an art supply store. Basically, they're meant to blend together two different markers, so they have an emulsifier that effectively liquefies the dried marker, then you can blot it up with a paper towel. I was turned onto it by someone (wiggy I think?) over at The Cover Project and it works great. The majority of my games, the marker completely disappears. One or two there was still a faint outline, so some of the other options could work too, but I like it because it's completely non-abrasive and has no chance of damaging the cart.

Plus the markers themselves are about 4 dollars and last for a while.
Gunning for a licensed NES NTSC-U set, follow the madness and poverty here!
Cheat sheet of my collection, always looking to increase it. 405/677 licensed games, 46/"95" unlicensed
Chronically out of date BST thread