Together Retro: River City Ransom

Join in on our classic gaming club!
Erik_Twice
Next-Gen

Re: Together Retro: River City Ransom

Post by Erik_Twice »

I thought the game wwasn't going to be very good but so far my impression is positive. The characters control very well. which I didn't expect from a NES title. Still, I don't know what's the difference between a kick and a punch and most enemies seem trivial, a few button smashing lets you clear any area.

I've been told by Slick's girlfriend to go to the high school, which is the starting area but I can't get in. What am I doing wrong?
Looking for a cool game? Find it in my blog!
Latest post: Often, games must be difficult
http://eriktwice.com/
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

I don't think she meant your high school. I know you can't enter yours in the nes version.
KalessinDB
Next-Gen

Post by KalessinDB »

I played the hell out of this as a kid, but I don't know if I ever beat it. If I did, it was long ago. I might have to give this one a shot if I can tear myself away from my new big red baby long enough to play anything else this month.

I even remember the secret shop. I don't remember what you bought there, but I remember where it is.
Gunning for a licensed NES NTSC-U set, follow the madness and poverty here!
Cheat sheet of my collection, always looking to increase it. 405/677 licensed games, 46/"95" unlicensed
Chronically out of date BST thread
ExedExes
Next-Gen

Post by ExedExes »

Erik_Twice wrote:I thought the game wwasn't going to be very good but so far my impression is positive. The characters control very well. which I didn't expect from a NES title. Still, I don't know what's the difference between a kick and a punch and most enemies seem trivial, a few button smashing lets you clear any area.

I've been told by Slick's girlfriend to go to the high school, which is the starting area but I can't get in. What am I doing wrong?

The ultimate goal is River City H.S., but to get in make sure to visit every area and clear it all out because there's a number of bosses you have to beat before you can even get inside.

Remember Benny and Clyde are easily beat for good money in 2 locations (under the bridge and outside the sauna)
Xeogred wrote:The obvious answer is that it's time for the Dreamcast 2.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

ExedExes wrote:Remember Benny and Clyde are easily beat for good money in 2 locations (under the bridge and outside the sauna)

hell yeah. I grinded out 10,000 yen easy there early on.
Erik_Twice
Next-Gen

Post by Erik_Twice »

ExedExes wrote:The ultimate goal is River City H.S., but to get in make sure to visit every area and clear it all out because there's a number of bosses you have to beat before you can even get inside.

Ah, I see so the starting high school is not River City H.S, but yours. I guess you are supposed to beat up the leader of your rival school or something like that, right? (I should read the manual sometime)
Looking for a cool game? Find it in my blog!
Latest post: Often, games must be difficult
http://eriktwice.com/
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

nullPointer wrote:
Stark wrote:Not sure all of the ins and outs of buying food or maxing out your power.
This is the one aspect of the game for which I feel a guide comes in particularly handy. There are a ton of purchasable items and moves in this game, without a lot of explanation regarding the resultant effects.

I remember the move which lets you kick 3 times quickly being the absolute best in the game. It hits ridiculously hard and wipes the floor with your typical enemy.
ExedExes
Next-Gen

Post by ExedExes »

alienjesus wrote:I remember the move which lets you kick 3 times quickly being the absolute best in the game. It hits ridiculously hard and wipes the floor with your typical enemy.

The move books should be an early goal for purchasing. Grand Slam is expensive but it's worth it too. You don't need a lot of the offensive stats if you get those books early, but it's important to raise STAMINA and WILL POWER especially near the end.
TSTR
Next-Gen

Post by TSTR »

Played some today. Dragon Feet is indeed awesome, definitely make that an early purchase. I think I'm about to fight the last of the Zombies--Thor. Thank god for save states, no way I'm using that password system.
ExedExes
Next-Gen

Post by ExedExes »

Stark wrote:Not sure all of the ins and outs of buying food or maxing out your power.

Item lists and effects are all right here, just click on any shopping area you come across.