Together Retro: Grandia

Join in on our classic gaming club!
SpaceBooger

Re: Together Retro: Grandia

Post by SpaceBooger »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:In Dom Ruins. About 10.5 hours in.

Found a way to exploit healing magic leveling here. Sue's water magic is now level 20. :lol:

Fun game. Really getting into the groove of things now and looking forward to playing it each night. Too bad I can only squeeze in 1-1.5 hours per day. I have a long road ahead of me.

Can you share the healing magic trick?
BLOG | BST
Systems Owned: NES, Game Boy (Original, Pocket, Color & Advance SP), DSi, 3DS, Genesis, Sega CD,
Nomad, SNES, Saturn, PS1, Dreamcast, XBox, PS2, Gamecube, Nintendo DS, Wii, PSP, PS3, WiiU & XBONE.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

alienjesus wrote:Do I get more magic soon? I'd really like to get some water magic for healing so I don't need to load up my limited inventory with healing items.

Yes.

You'll notice after the Ghost Ship that a Mana Egg has been snuck into your inventory. From now on shops will have a magical staff icon in them, along with the sword, shield, and item icons. Go to the icon and you can then use one Mana Egg to give one character magic of an element of your choosing. I gave Sue water to start.

SpaceBooger wrote:
BoneSnapDeez wrote:In Dom Ruins. About 10.5 hours in.

Found a way to exploit healing magic leveling here. Sue's water magic is now level 20. :lol:

Fun game. Really getting into the groove of things now and looking forward to playing it each night. Too bad I can only squeeze in 1-1.5 hours per day. I have a long road ahead of me.

Can you share the healing magic trick?

Yes!

You may notice that you can't heal (at least not outside of battle) if your characters have full HP. This means you need to take hits to heal, and thus have to take hits to build up your water magic. Tedious.

However, in the Dom Ruins, close to the save point, there are these cranky-looking statues that will trust at your characters and damage them. Get hit, heal, hit the save point to replenish MP as needed, and repeat. Felt like it took me 45 minutes or so to get Sue's water magic up to level 20 (she learns an epic spell then).
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

If I wasn't 50 hours into DQ8 right now, I'd so be in on this. Grandia will be my next JRPG at any rate.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
ninjainspandex
Next-Gen

Post by ninjainspandex »

Exhuminator wrote:If I wasn't 50 hours into DQ8 right now, I'd so be in on this. Grandia will be my next JRPG at any rate.

haha I resisted starting DQ8 and am now happily playing Grandia, but I can't wait to get to it.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

Played tonight, got off the boat, did the stuff at New Parm, and I'm now at Dom Ruins with about 9 hours on the game clock.

Have quite a lot of magic now, just as case of levelling it up:

Justin: Water & Wind magic
Sue: Water & Earth magic
Feena: Fire & Wind magic

Someone mentioned earth magic being hard to level, but I've found the opposite - Sue gets like 24 exp in earth every time she casts diggin'. At only 1MP, its probably the easiest to level up so far.
ninjainspandex
Next-Gen

Post by ninjainspandex »

can someone tell me how/when I get magic? I just got to the ghost ship.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:You'll notice after the Ghost Ship that a Mana Egg has been snuck into your inventory. From now on shops will have a magical staff icon in them, along with the sword, shield, and item icons. Go to the icon and you can then use one Mana Egg to give one character magic of an element of your choosing. I gave Sue water to start.

And you'll get many more Mana Eggs after this initial one.

Right now my set-up is:
Justin: Fire & Earth
Sue: Water & Earth
Feena: Fire, Earth, & Wind
Justin's Mom: Sexiness
ninjainspandex
Next-Gen

Post by ninjainspandex »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:
BoneSnapDeez wrote:You'll notice after the Ghost Ship that a Mana Egg has been snuck into your inventory. From now on shops will have a magical staff icon in them, along with the sword, shield, and item icons. Go to the icon and you can then use one Mana Egg to give one character magic of an element of your choosing. I gave Sue water to start.

And you'll get many more Mana Eggs after this initial one.

Right now my set-up is:
Justin: Fire & Earth
Sue: Water & Earth
Feena: Fire, Earth, & Wind
Justin's Mom: Sexiness

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PqJw01setW0
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

ninjainspandex wrote:can someone tell me how/when I get magic? I just got to the ghost ship.

The places I found my 6 spells:

1. Feena starts with fire magic
2. The boss of the ghost ship gives you one
3. One is on the road to Finas house
4. One is in the secret passage you go into in new parm shortly after
5. One is in the west mountain range
6. One is in the east mountain range
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

you guys were right - once you get out of that stupid village it starts to feel like Grandia. Just beat the first boss. 8)